Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Best US Credit Card out there. No Foreign Transaction Fees

Interesting and worth checking out. Thanks for 'chasing' this down for us :D
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by 5.45 View Post
    From T&C: You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, District of Columbia, United States territories or a United States military address.

AFAIK, once Amazon and Marriott are out, the only credit card in Canada with true no FX is Home Trust Preferred Visa.
    Home Trust Preferred is the one I chose to replace the Amazon card. You earn 1% on all purchases. Also have purchase protection, car rental and I think road side assistance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Botts View Post
    It's against the PATRIOT Act for Canadians (without U.S. residency) to apply for that Chase card.

It is one of the best cards on the market if you are a U.S. Resident though.

Locally: RBC, ATB, and TD all offer US Dollar cards with no FX fees.
    The patriot act doesn't stop US banks from issuing cards to non-us residents... if seen sooooo many businesses/bank/etc use this as an excuse, albeit an invalid one. Most just don't know what it is and covers.

Banks do have to check a person's details and where the money comes from. Most bank can't/won't do foreigner requests, but it is technically doable.

For getting a real USA card, account, etc. RBC Bank is pretty easy and legit
    'nada

The problem with a US issued card (whether it's RBC Bank USA, TD USA, Chase USA etc) is that you still need funds to be sent from your Canadian account to pay your US-issued US$ card. The banks charge for that CA$ to US$ conversion, so no matter what, it's still more expensive than what the Amazon card offered because it was in CA$.

With Fido/Rogers card, when you return something (as already mentioned), they take the 4% reward back and you get to pay the 2.5% fee - but it's not always just about returning a physical item you bought.... I do lots of travel bookings where there are price guarantees (hotels, car rental etc), so I book and pay with my card, and later when I find the price has decreased and I want to make use of their "price guarantee", they actually cancel and refund my money, and rebook and re-pay for the "new" booking at the lower price. With the Amazon card, there was never any issue or cost doing it as there was no 2.5% fee. With Fido/Rogers, that doesn't work so well, as the 2,5% fee with the cancellation is hefty.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSal View Post
    Home Trust Preferred is the one I chose to replace the Amazon card. You earn 1% on all purchases. Also have purchase protection, car rental and I think road side assistance.
    Same here, and no annual fee which suits my needs.
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate"

Quote Originally Posted by 15567 View Post
    Same here, and no annual fee which suits my needs.
    They’re really backlogged with applications right now. All the clients switching over. 3-4 weeks processing time

I checked out the Rogers card too, but didn’t like format (as mentioned above). Plus you have to elect for a rebate or else you can only use the points towards their merch (an unneeded extra step). Also it has a $29 annual fee (waived in first year). The Home Trust Preferred card is simpler in my opinion.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tharkhold View Post
    The patriot act doesn't stop US banks from issuing cards to non-us residents... if seen sooooo many businesses/bank/etc use this as an excuse, albeit an invalid one. Most just don't know what it is and covers.
    Fair enough, although it does make their KYC requirements way harder.

The Terms & Conditions for this card specifically does 100% require a permanent U.S. residence. Applying for this specific card would be against the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by HK41 View Post
    Good timing. As of March 15, the Amazon Visa will be no more.
    I'm in the same boat, glad there is another option for us

I have a Amazon visa no fee's then they stopped handing them out. I got a letter last week that as off Mar 15th I can't use it anymore because it's being discontinued and there isn't another to apply for.
    Turns out it's from Chase so this contradicts what I'm reading here.

There is no where to select a Prov. State and zip code only so no way to apply
    Last edited by Sinbad; 02-02-2018 at 06:49 PM.