Page 19 of 102 FirstFirst ... 911121314151617181920212223242526272939 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk180-C technical questions & answers only

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
    Can't speak for Wolverine but I know that a couple people are testing 3D printed covers that look pretty slick. I'm all for minimizing dirt and grime, cause this rifle is going to go places.
    Hoodwink,

If you know of anyone making one please let me know.

Would also be interested in being a beta user for feedback....

Drift117, give him a PM.
    Подай набої, є що стріляти. Think Plink!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Gas cylinder dimensions, I don't think this will change. This is straight from Kodiak.

Handguard Front

Gas block front with screw

Gas block front without screw

There is a .015" clearance between the gas block and the inside of the handguard. Any more space and it will cut into the rails or weaken the cylinder walls.

I would strongly advise that customers wait until they have the rifle in their hands before they go buying aftermarket bits... They may find that the stuff that is designed specifically for the rifle fits and functions better than after market stuff meant for a completely different rifle.

Burying the gas system on a piston gun with an AR rail height profile has always proven challenging... just look at ACRs, or HK 416s... most have raised their rails to accommodate piston systems and thus have problems putting handguards over the block while maintaining the rail height. In fact, when H&K were competing for the M4 replacement program with their 416, they petitioned NATO to change the specific rail height for the NATO STANAG 4694 Accessory Rail standards, citing "better accommodation for cheekweld and site picture"... the reality was they wanted to raise the rail to suit the gas system. needless to say, NATO refused and they didn't win the bid with the 416 (for a lot of reasons aside from that).
    Most piston gun designs will just opt to not bury the gas block under the handguard as it's simpler to just cover the piston rod.

With all that said; This handguard will fit on an AR15, but I have my doubts about any old AR15 handguard fitting over this gas block.

Note on the image; the dimensions are Metric on the bottom and inch on the top in [ ].

Hope that helps.
    Just because I can (No disrespect to the efforts of Wolverine & Kodiac).

From the dimensions given above I believe the interference is due to the head of the gas pistion and not the gas block itself.
    If I extract that the sketch origin for all 3 screenshots represent the centre axis of the gun barrel (or reference axis for this discussion) then the top of the gas block height (1.047) is less than the cutout of the handguard (1.062).
    It is only when you add the gas piston to the assembly that the dimension given show an interference (1.067) vs. (1.062) of .005 using basic dimensions.

Since I do not know what the actual tolerances were for each dimension issued for fabrication - it could be that the prototypes were at the loose end of the tolerances (no interference) and production tolerances result in stack-ups that may (or may not) result in interferences.

Changing dimensions on the outer dia of the gas plug may solve the problem if technically feasable (I cannot see a side view of the assembly or minimum engineering requirements for said parts).
    Hence, this is speculation on my part and my working theory may (or may not) have any validity.

My rifle should be delivered by Canpar today and I am eagerly looking forward to taking the rifle out for a spin.
    When I made the deposit back in the beginning of Feb I did so with the understanding that the gun was a work in progress.
    Because it was Canadian made I wanted to support both companies.
    In the ensuing months as releatively small issues were discovered it became apparent that I had a vested interest in the development of this firearm.
    In fact, I would surmise that this happened to a lot of purchasers, as indicated by the emotional investment that I have read in this and other forums.

Its been kind of cool to watch the evolution of the specification has occured based on feedback of customers. In addition, the sharing of field expedient fixes for ejecting brass marking up the receiver was brilliant.

I think everyone should give themselves a pat on the back on how this "Canadian" rifle has (and continues to evolve). I look forward to the 7x62 upper that I can mate to the lower to see if my ACR mags will work.

Cheers,

L
    Last edited by lmar; 10-16-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lmar View Post
    Just because I can (No disrespect to the efforts of Wolverine & Kodiac).

From the dimensions given above I believe the interference is due to the head of the gas pistion and not the gas block itself.
    If I extract that the sketch origin for all 3 screenshots represent the centre axis of the gun barrel (or reference axis for this discussion) then the top of the gas block height (1.047) is less than the cutout of the handguard (1.062).
    It is only when you add the gas piston to the assembly that the dimension given show an interference (1.067) vs. (1.062) of .005 using basic dimensions.

Since I do not know what the actual tolerances were for each dimension issued for fabrication - it could be that the prototypes were at the loose end of the tolerances (no interference) and production tolerances result in stack-ups that may (or may not) result in interferences.

Changing dimensions on the outer dia of the gas plug may solve the problem if technically feasable (I cannot see a side view of the assembly or minimum engineering requirements for said parts).
    Hence, this is speculation on my part and my working theory may (or may not) have any validity.

My rifle should be delivered by Canpar today and I am eagerly looking forward to taking the rifle out for a spin.
    When I made the deposit back in the beginning of Feb I did so with the understanding that the gun was a work in progress.
    Because it was Canadian made I wanted to support both companies.
    In the ensuing months as releatively small issues were discovered it became apparent that I had a vested interest in the development of this firearm.
    In fact, I would surmise that this happened to a lot of purchasers, as indicated by the emotional investment that I have read in this and other forums.

Its been kind of cool to watch the evolution of the specification has occured based on feedback of customers. In addition, the sharing of field expedient fixes for ejecting brass marking up the receiver was brilliant.

I think everyone should give themselves a pat on the back on how this "Canadian" rifle has (and continues to evolve). I look forward to the 7x62 upper that I can mate to the lower to see if my ACR mags will work.

Cheers,

L
    Thanks for the insight there. Did you mean that the part causing interference is the screw that goes into the end? Mine is a smaller diameter than the gas block and the gas block is the highest part. Did something change? Mine seems to have clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinlead View Post
    Thanks for the insight there. Did you mean that the part causing interference is the screw that goes into the end? Mine is a smaller diameter than the gas block and the gas block is the highest part. Did something change? Mine seems to have clearance.
    Just received my rifle. I have a plug as well which is a smaller diameter than shown on screenshot.

Filing Fixture Request

I am trying to come up with a filing fixture to allow for the clean modification of a Magpul K2+ pistol grip for use on the WK 180.
    My ADHD from hand fitting the grip via use of a dremel tool is causing me to lose sleep.

Is it possible to get dimensions or a portion of the CAD model (Solidworks?) of just the area outlined by the red rectangle.

The vertical and horizontal pistol grip "shelf" of the model will allow me to position the grip in the fixture.
    The dimensions of the radius (or model) will allow me to get a better fitment and allow users to do so consistently.

Thanks,

L

Filing Fixture Request

I am trying to come up with a filing fixture to allow for the clean modification of a Magpul K2+ pistol grip for use on the WK 180.
    My ADHD from hand fitting the grip via use of a dremel tool is causing me to lose sleep.

Is it possible to get dimensions or a portion of the CAD model (Solidworks?) of just the area outlined by the red rectangle.

The vertical and horizontal pistol grip "shelf" of the model will allow me to position the grip in the fixture.
    The dimensions of the radius (or model) will allow me to get a better fitment and allow users to do so consistently.

Thanks,

L
    the magpul MOE-K grip comes non-beavertail and is also at a steeper angle like the K2. I think the K2 is slightly longer. If you don't have really large hands the K should work.
    https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-k-grip-ar15-m4

Quote Originally Posted by MkivSupra View Post
    the magpul MOE-K grip comes non-beavertail and is also at a steeper angle like the K2. I think the K2 is slightly longer. If you don't have really large hands the K should work.
    https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-k-grip-ar15-m4
    I looked at this version originally. However, I went with the beavertail as the modified K2 forces the hand to grip lower - correcting the angle of trigger pull to straight back.

L

CGN Regular
    Just received my rifle. I have a plug as well which is a smaller diameter than shown on screenshot.
    Now I have realized there is another issue with gas block clearance. I found that when you hold the rifle firmly by the handguard you can grab the barrel and wiggle it and the barrel/ upper moves quite a bit within the handguard. Enough that the gas block will contact the handguard if you push it up all the way. Is this normal with AR 15 handguards? I checked the 8 mounting screws and they are all very tight.

I can't imagine this is good for accuracy if the barrel jumps around within the handguard while firing and possibly contacts via the gas block. Might explain some of the flyers I'm getting.

Any fixes for this? I'm considering maybe trying a pressure screw or something between handguard and barrel and forgetting about free floating. Might be more stable.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinlead View Post
    Now I have realized there is another issue with gas block clearance. I found that when you hold the rifle firmly by the handguard you can grab the barrel and wiggle it and the barrel/ upper moves quite a bit within the handguard. Enough that the gas block will contact the handguard if you push it up all the way. Is this normal with AR 15 handguards? I checked the 8 mounting screws and they are all very tight.

I can't imagine this is good for accuracy if the barrel jumps around within the handguard while firing and possibly contacts via the gas block. Might explain some of the flyers I'm getting.

Any fixes for this? I'm considering maybe trying a pressure screw or something between handguard and barrel and forgetting about free floating. Might be more stable.
    Maybe your barrel nut is loose?