Page 21 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk180-C technical questions & answers only

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Yes - here's the manual

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Re...180CONLINE.pdf

It does not list the spec for the torque on the barrel nut so not sure what Kodiak recommends. AR (15's) are normally 30 ft-lb then index to the next notch (in this case next set of holes that line up with the handguard).
    Ok thanks, mine is turning out to be an issue. I tried tightening it a bit and re installed the handguard but it was not enough torque so it loosened off again. I cranked it tighter but now the screw holes won’t line up. There is no way I can crank it enough to get to the next set of holes.
    So I guess the nut face needs to be ground down a bit so it can be properly cranked down to the next set of holes. I’m not messing with that so I guess it’s going back for warranty service. I’m kind of surprised it made it out of the shop with a loose nut like that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinlead View Post
    Ok thanks, mine is turning out to be an issue. I tried tightening it a bit and re installed the handguard but it was not enough torque so it loosened off again. I cranked it tighter but now the screw holes won’t line up. There is no way I can crank it enough to get to the next set of holes.
    So I guess the nut face needs to be ground down a bit so it can be properly cranked down to the next set of holes. I’m not messing with that so I guess it’s going back for warranty service. I’m kind of surprised it made it out of the shop with a loose nut like that.
    Barrel nut shims will fix your problem.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Barrel nut shims will fix your problem.

Thanks, I was just researching google and YouTube about this very thing. What other tools do I need to torque this nut? Something to hold the receiver or can I just hold it in a regular vice? What’s the best wrench for the nut?
    Will this affect the headspace?
    With shims this will be easy and I really don’t want to send the rifle off.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinlead View Post
    Thanks, I was just researching google and YouTube about this very thing. What other tools do I need to torque this nut? Something to hold the receiver or can I just hold it in a regular vice? What’s the best wrench for the nut?
    Will this affect the headspace?
    With shims this will be easy and I really don’t want to send the rifle off.
    Headspace will only be affected if the shims are placed in a way that causes the chamber of the barrel to sit further forward away from the receiver.
    I'm not familiar with nut shims for the ar15 but I would hazard to guess they do not do this. It would resolve one issue of achieving proper torque but cause a much worse and potentially dangerous issue.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Headspace will only be affected if the shims are placed in a way that causes the chamber of the barrel to sit further forward away from the receiver.
    I'm not familiar with nut shims for the ar15 but I would hazard to guess they do not do this. It would resolve one issue of achieving proper torque but cause a much worse and potentially dangerous issue.
    Yes, you are shimming the nut, not the barrel.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

I remember someone looking for a solution to find a shim to tighten up the upper and lower like the accuwedge. Did anyone find a solution in the end?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaches View Post
    I remember someone looking for a solution to find a shim to tighten up the upper and lower like the accuwedge. Did anyone find a solution in the end?
    I don't have an accu-wedge to test but the WK lower has a hole machined in the back where a wedge would fit - don't see why the accu-wedge would not work, possibly with some cutting/modification.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    I don't have an accu-wedge to test but the WK lower has a hole machined in the back where a wedge would fit - don't see why the accu-wedge would not work, possibly with some cutting/modification.
    I've tighten up my wk180c reciever with a shim. The
    lug that fits into the hole in the receiver is 0.4005 inches. The hole itself is 0.4050 inches. For the time being I placed a piece of painters tape on one side of the lug and now I have absolutely no play with the receivers. It's tight enough that it doesn't wobble but not tight enough to make disassembly a hassle. I would not recommend using an accuwedge or placing a rubber shim in the receiver hole because that would cause the takedown button to rub on the inside of the upper receiver. Eventually the upper will wear and it'll start wobbling again. I will post pics when I get home from my trip. Funny how painters tape is exactly 0.0050 inches :P
    Last edited by Drift117; 11-03-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drift117 View Post
    I've tighten up my wk180c reciever with a shim. The
    lug that fits into the hole in the receiver is 0.4005 inches. The hole itself is 0.4050 inches. For the time being I placed a piece of painters tape on one side of the lug and now I have absolutely no play with the receivers. It's tight enough that it doesn't wobble but not tight enough to make disassembly a hassle. I would not recommend using an accuwedge or placing a rubber shim in the receiver hole because that would cause the takedown button to rub on the inside of the upper receiver. Eventually the upper will wear and it'll start wobbling again. I will post pics when I get home from my trip. Funny how painters tape is exactly 0.0050 inches :P
    Thanks. Looking forward to the pictures. Ya the accuwedge wouldn't work on the WK because the rear of the receiver does not have an ear on the bottom for the pin to go through the lower receiver like an AR.

Yeah I think a possible solution would be to file down a channel for an o-ring maybe even 2. That would tighten up the receiver perfectly.