Page 76 of 102 FirstFirst ... 566668697071727374757677787980818283848696 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk180-C technical questions & answers only

Response from Kodiak:

"We are indeed grateful for the support we are receiving from Canadian gunowners. We try to be in tune with our customers and, mainly based on their feedback, we have made several changes since we initially started producing the WK180C. We have been open and upfront about why we have done these. We have also been extremely willing to correct anything that prevents the rifle from being used, for example rechambering .223 Wyde chambers to 5.56 NATO on request.

I think that it is important that we separate an upgrade from a correction. The initial production design was sound, but as customers were not pleased with the cosmetic damage because of it, we changed it to one that satisfied the requests we received. If customers complain that their iPhones don’t have enough space and Apple decides to stop making iPhones with 64GB storage, instead only selling 128GB models going forward (for the same price,) should Apple upgrade every previous phone they sold for free? That isn’t reasonable to expect.

We remain committed to our customers. Our warranty service is hard to beat, and if you have a problem with your rifle because of the cocking handle or because of any other reason, we would be thrilled to remedy it. Should potential cosmetic damage to the inside of your upper receiver be a concern for you, please get a hold of me around the 15th of May and I should be able to give you harder information about purchasing the new bolt carrier."

Thoughts?

That's a horrible analogy with the Iphones, the iphone 64 doesn't damage it's self from use.

I think Kodiak has convinced themselves that this issue their customers are having is not a big deal and have doubled down with that thought. Maybe because the reality of replacing a bunch of customer hardware is not financially possible. Their solution is to have you wait until your WK is a literal cheese grater inside and then perhaps deal with it.
    To further add insult to injury they fill most of their reply emails with statements like

"We are indeed grateful for the support we are receiving from Canadian gun owners"
    "We remain committed to our customers"
    "Our warranty service is hard to beat"

The more this forum goes on, and the more people that pipe up about what is obviously a flaw, the more is seems like Kodiak gets the Snake oil salesman vibe.
    Telling me on one hand that my concerns are not justified and a "don't worry it's fine" response is given, followed by "Our warranty service is hard to beat" reply email, is it any wonder people are pissed?

Instead of addressing anything their move is "please get a hold of me around the 15th of May and I should be able to give you harder information about purchasing the new bolt carrier."

So now my gun is out of commission while something gets sorted out with Kodiak & Wolverine. I like many folks on here were early adopters of the WK, I had my pre-order in with the first few hours it went live. I then talked up this rifle at my shooting club and to the fellows at work. Four additional WK orders came from just that. Having pride in something made Canadian that was spearheaded by Wolverine was a good feeling. But now after months of the hyped up "Our warranty service is hard to beat" , I unfortunately find my self in the position of needing warranty service, I'm told sorry it's fine and to stay tuned for an additional part id have to buy just to stop a problem that warranty service should cover in the first place.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 04-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Perhaps someone with scouring from the bolt handle should keep running it to see how bad it can get?

Owen from Kodiak and I have been back amd forth today in a very polite discussion about the "cosmetic " issue. Ibwill save you the pages of argument but this is my greatest takeaway from our discussion:

Owen: "To be perfectly clear: if the wear from the cocking handle causes the rifle to become unshootable either because the rifle stops functioning or because the rifle is unsafe to shoot, that is something for which we will provide warranty service, free of charge."

I think this is a reasonable answer from Owen that I thought should be shared. Reasonable, not satisfactory.

Everyone is worried because it's a one year warranty. Knowing that they would admit a claim beyond the warranty timeline because this issue becomes a risk or affects functionality is valid, even though still disappointing because it does affect value and will cause damage.
    Last edited by Machiavellian100; 04-26-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    " Even duct tape can't fix stupid...but it can muffle the sound" 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    We are listening to customer concerns.

Kodiak and Wolverine are working together to mitigate the concerns of WK180-C rifle owners who have bolts fitted with the magnet in the charging handle.

Please allow us a few days grace to formulate a plan.
    Hi John, I shared this idea with Owen today, I don't even know if it's viable, but here goes.

I don't know if the BCG design has the room, but I'm trying to be on the solution side of things, drilling the BCG Handle housing hole deeper and creating an extension to the existing bolt so there's less applied flector momentum on forward impact because of the inertia and could be an inexpensive solution if viable. People send in their BCG and handle, you remachine the hole and add an attachment to the bolt handle insert end, no flex, no wear. Cheap. Nobody has to shell out money, your costs are minimal and Gen 1 owners are happy campers, or at least content. I am not the happiest camper right now, but we need a solution, or a compromise. The peoblem isbthere and won't go away on its own.

Had the same issue. Kodiak told me to tap it with a hammer. That worked. Keep an eye on it. Do proper preak in and keep an eye on receiver wear and the bolt. Mine was out of spec and shattered at the 100 round mark. Nobody inspects these rifles. My guess is that they're understaffed and in over their heads.
    Last edited by Machiavellian100; 04-27-2019 at 09:18 PM.

I don't know if I'm a statistical outlier or what. I only have familiarity with one unit.
    It's an early build with a serial between a C-note and a Gross.
    It has the original Wylde chambering, magnetic charging handle (installed on the left side), and the fat gas port.
    I only did two things to it: 1. I replaced the trigger with a G2S; 2. I loosened the handguard screws, preloaded the handguard away from gas port contact, and retightened.
    Initial break in was done to the highest anal and OCD specs, the first range day using only 20 rounds in all. Mostly scrubbing the bore...
    It feeds, fires, and extracts the Israeli Independence 5.56 absolutely flawlessly. Sorry, there was ONE misfeed. Out of at least 80. Wow.
    The green tip stuff has a larger spread, but also good function.
    Hornady Steel Match was okay, but mostly around 2 MOA at best.
    I found the 100 yard sweet spot with Winchester white box 45 grain HP. It gave me my best group yet, with 5 shots in 1.2" and the middle 3 cloverleafed.
    It appears that Kodiak's original design worked just fine for me. No marks from a wandering charging handle either.

In summary, the original design should produce an acceptable product. There is an example to that effect.
    That there are products not achieving that same result hints at inadequate execution.
    Whatever bad Wylde reamer caused ripping heads off Independence cartridges should have been addressed by getting that bad reamer out of the build cycle. Going to 5.56 was not unavoidable.
    Whatever was causing charging handles to flop about and carve trenches in the side of the upper was not a design deficiency, as my upper is still unmarked after over 300 rounds.
    In my experience, the shorter leade of the Wylde hurts my accuracy not at all.
    I love the effortless takedown that the magnetic charging handle offers me.
    Process control, consistency, and quality management go a long way toward a superior product and end user satisfaction.
    I'd only buy another WK180C if you built them like this one.
    Keep your New Coke, I like my Coke Classic.
    Last edited by Bubba Yugga; 04-27-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    Подай набої, є що стріляти. Think Plink!

Quote Originally Posted by Baitcaster View Post
    Response from Kodiak:

"We are indeed grateful for the support we are receiving from Canadian gunowners. We try to be in tune with our customers and, mainly based on their feedback, we have made several changes since we initially started producing the WK180C. We have been open and upfront about why we have done these. We have also been extremely willing to correct anything that prevents the rifle from being used, for example rechambering .223 Wyde chambers to 5.56 NATO on request.

I think that it is important that we separate an upgrade from a correction. The initial production design was sound, but as customers were not pleased with the cosmetic damage because of it, we changed it to one that satisfied the requests we received. If customers complain that their iPhones don’t have enough space and Apple decides to stop making iPhones with 64GB storage, instead only selling 128GB models going forward (for the same price,) should Apple upgrade every previous phone they sold for free? That isn’t reasonable to expect.

We remain committed to our customers. Our warranty service is hard to beat, and if you have a problem with your rifle because of the cocking handle or because of any other reason, we would be thrilled to remedy it. Should potential cosmetic damage to the inside of your upper receiver be a concern for you, please get a hold of me around the 15th of May and I should be able to give you harder information about purchasing the new bolt carrier."

Thoughts?
    Yeah, I got the same response. Been arguing with Owen for a bit now. I don't know if the guy is hardheaded or has a mandate to kill this complaint at all costs and make it look trivial. The fact is, that Kodiak if going to implodeif they don't get things corrected.

I could post the emails but it would just piss people off more. I did get a reasonable response at the end of rhe day that I posted below, still not satisfactory. Strength in numbers. We have to keep bouncing it off them like their bolt on the receiver. If they whine, we'll say it's cosmetic.

Maybe we should give Wolverine and Kodiak some day to see what's the solution they gonna come with....

Last edited by diablo_man; 08-14-2019 at 06:40 PM.