Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Storing Firearms & Ammo at home will it impact my Home Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_James View Post
    Everyone will agree that any insurance company has a motive to make a profit. Therefore, they will love for you to provide a long list of your possessions so that they can list them in a schedule and charge you for the extra coverage. Read your policy and see what it says. If you don't like it, get another quote.
    It's not just insurance companies, all companies have a motive to make a profit, that's business. The vast majority of insurance companies do not require a list of everything you own. They have a blanket limit to cover all your possessions. Some have limits for certain types of possessions though. in this case you either disclose that you have items that exceed the amount of coverage and pay an additional premium or live with the limit of coverage should something happen.

You hit the nail on the head Rocket_James. Read your policy, ask questions, and look at different insurers if needed. There are companies out there that treat firearms and reloading equipment like any other content of your home. No additional premium needed, no disclosure required. You have to shop around, ask questions, and get an insurance policy that fits what you need. That's why I always recommend that folks speak with an independent insurance broker. They don't represent only one company and can work with you to find the company that will meet your needs and a premium you are comfortable with.

Cheers
    Last edited by 686 Shooter; 02-11-2018 at 02:36 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 686 Shooter View Post
    It's not just insurance companies, all companies have a motive to make a profit, that's business. The vast majority of insurance companies do not require a list of everything you own. They have a blanket limit to cover all your possessions. Some have limits for certain types of possessions though. in this case you either disclose that you have items that exceed the amount of coverage and pay an additional premium or live with the limit of coverage should something happen.

You hit the nail on the head Rocket_James. Read your policy, ask questions, and look at different insurers if needed. There are companies out there that treat firearms and reloading equipment like any other content of your home. No additional premium needed, no disclosure required. You have to shop around, ask questions, and get an insurance policy that fits what you need. That's why I always recommend that folks speak with an independent insurance broker. They don't represent only one company and can work with you to find the company that will meet your needs and a premium you are comfortable with.

Cheers
    No offence intended.

Compare what you say in this post to what you said in 16.
    They read a lot different. Maybe you should have posted this comment first.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    I informed my broker about owning firearms; told them I would always be under the legal cap for not having special storage and not having a special permit for ammunition and gunpowder; told them all firearms are always stored in accordance with all laws and regulations; and told them the total of the value of the firearms. If I had any firearms where the firearm, scope and scope mounts exceeded $5000.00 or were of a special interest to me they were "registered" with the insurance company with serial numbers and photos (I only noted I owned a Boberg and it was not replaceable as the company sold to another manufacturer).

There was no change whatsoever to the cost or details of the policy.
    Curious who you're insured with ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456