Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storing Firearms & Ammo at home will it impact my Home Insurance

My experience is that they are more worried about liability than anything. No insurance broker has ever asked about the firearms in my home. However when I started keeping beehives I became persona non grata.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    I can’t answer for every home policy out there as they may all have there own specifications but here is some general info, some of which has been touched on.
    1. Only real reason to report firearms would be if you have antique or high value items. These items will mostly likely be scheduled and you will need to provide make model and serial number.
    2. Firearms are almost always considered contents. No different then your socks or dishes. However, it’s best to double check that your policy doesn’t consider firearms sporting goods as most policies will have a sub limit for sporting goods and usually its low.
    3. If you do your own reloading I would recommend double checking they don’t have an exclusion for “explosives” that they might be able to catch you with. That being said I don’t know of any standard exclusion that would apply.
    4. I would recommend asking your broker some questions “ for a friend “ so as to get some straight answers about your specific wording without raising any unnecessary flags.

Hopefully that helps.
    Thanks for the advice. The firearms are not collectables, 2 P320's and 2 AR15's. I'm just worried about the consequences in case of theft or a fire where the ammunition starts to cook off. I'm guessing UMBRELLA insurance would help in that case as it's something out of the ordinary.
    Member of CSSA & CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 686 Shooter View Post
    I have worked for an insurance company for 23 years now.

"Don't tell your insurance company" is the worst advice you can take. It is your responsibility to tell your insurance company anything that may be material to them accepting your application or setting the premium price. If you do not advise them of this, it can lead to your insurance coverage being denied in the event of a loss.
    There is a huge difference between "Not telling them" and "Answering all the questions they ask truthfully"
    They didn't ask me if I repaired motorcycles in my garage as a hobby. There are a million questions they don't ask.
    I assume they ask me everything that is material to them - what is the structure? what is the heat source? Do you rent or own? Etc

Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    You pay for the coverage; the insurer assumes the risk of covering you for the types of losses defined in the contract. Read the text of the contract carefully, and/or get advice from a professional. If you want specific coverage, then disclose what you have and what you want covered. Don’t assume. Failure to disclose is one of the most common reasons cited for denial of coverage.
    I want my dishes covered, but i didn't ask. Ditto for my camera, my computer, my everything - that's why I get "contents" insurance
    So i don't have to list every single item in the house. Replacing $5-$10 worth of firearms will be nothing compared to replacing all the other contents plus the house if there was a total loss.
    My coverage says all contents to replacement value. In the agents words the "gold standard contract for insurance"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    There are exclusions and sub limits.
    Some policies have sub limits for "Sporting Goods", some don't.
    If you are asked about firearms or reloading you must answer truthfully. If not asked you do not have to say anything about firearms however reloading might be a necessary disclosure
    IF push came to shove they could say my running shoes and socks are "sporting equipment" Where does it stop?
    Are fishing rods sporting equipment? Or fishing equipment? The list could go on forever.

The bold red is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbubba View Post
    There is a huge difference between "Not telling them" and "Answering all the questions they ask truthfully"
    They didn't ask me if I repaired motorcycles in my garage as a hobby. There are a million questions they don't ask.
    I assume they ask me everything that is material to them - what is the structure? what is the heat source? Do you rent or own? Etc

I want my dishes covered, but i didn't ask. Ditto for my camera, my computer, my everything - that's why I get "contents" insurance
    So i don't have to list every single item in the house. Replacing $5-$10 worth of firearms will be nothing compared to replacing all the other contents plus the house if there was a total loss.
    My coverage says all contents to replacement value. In the agents words the "gold standard contract for insurance"

IF push came to shove they could say my running shoes and socks are "sporting equipment" Where does it stop?
    Are fishing rods sporting equipment? Or fishing equipment? The list could go on forever.

The bold red is where it's at.
    Good for you. Did you really think I was talking about your flatware? Read the exclusions/definitions. Presumption is dangerous. Best of luck.
    Last edited by bcbravo2zero; 02-10-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    It would be pretty easy to have $10k worth of silverware and crystal.....bottom line is $10 k is $10 k, doesn’t matter what they are replacing

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbubba View Post
    It would be pretty easy to have $10k worth of silverware and crystal.....bottom line is $10 k is $10 k, doesn’t matter what they are replacing
    I agree. Insurance sales persons are out to (rightfully) make a profit. That said, I would not disclose any information to them about any items that are already covered under the terms of my policy, including any guns. Anything that you disclose will end up as a separate line item and they will charge you extra -- even though it may be covered under your policy at no extra cost. Also, your discussions with the sales person are not "binding" (in other words if you tell him you have no gun but you buy a gun a week later, etc.) --this has absolutely no bearing on the legal agreement between you and the insurance company. What matters is your written policy and the coverage and deductible.

Your guns will also be covered under your home policy if they are stolen from your car, as they are still considered household goods, but your car insurance will also be called into play to pay for the broken window, so you may have 2 deductibles to pay unless you have one insurance company for both home and car, which is always preferred.
    Last edited by Rocket_James; 02-10-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Hope not definitely not telling my insurance company what I have for firearms

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Willz View Post
    Hope not definitely not telling my insurance company what I have for firearms
    Neither would I...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_James View Post
    Your guns will also be covered under your home policy if they are stolen from your car, as they are still considered household goods, but your car insurance will also be called into play to pay for the broken window, so you may have 2 deductibles to pay unless you have one insurance company for both home and car, which is always preferred.
    Rather than pay the car deductable, get a replacement glass from the wrecker and install it yourself. It should be a lot less than the deductable.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_James View Post
    I agree. Insurance sales persons are out to (rightfully) make a profit. That said, I would not disclose any information to them about any items that are already covered under the terms of my policy, including any guns. Anything that you disclose will end up as a separate line item and they will charge you extra -- even though it may be covered under your policy at no extra cost. Also, your discussions with the sales person are not "binding" (in other words if you tell him you have no gun but you buy a gun a week later, etc.) --this has absolutely no bearing on the legal agreement between you and the insurance company. What matters is your written policy and the coverage and deductible.

There should be a list generally available of Insurance companies that are gun friendly

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast