Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894C 357 Mag/ 38 Spl

I have a 2015 manf. 1894CB in 45Colt. Sweet shooting, wonderful cycling, and the fit of everything was A+. Always inspect before you buy, it gets rid of the odd chance of a manuf. dud.
    I'm a displaced redneck, stuck in a city.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    Sorry to hear you had two poor quality JM Marlins. They can be hit and miss on the Remington made models, but the JM Marlins are usually pretty good. On both JM and Remington rifles I have had to polish the internals and do hammer springs, etc. in order to make them cycle flawlessly.

I have not experienced the accuracy issues you spoke of, but I certainly empathize with you!.....

Not sure what will happen now with the restructuring and bankruptcy issues. I wish Remington and Marlin well, I hope to get a 1894SBL in 44 magnum one day!...
    They are a great concept, small, light gun chambered in 44 mag, unfortunately they don't seem to get it sorted out 100%.
    I like guns....

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU44 View Post
    They are a great concept, small, light gun chambered in 44 mag, unfortunately they don't seem to get it sorted out 100%.

Agreed, I now have a Remington made Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. I spent countless hours polishing and tuning this baby, plus, installed a Wolf hammer spring. I actually hand picked this one from nine different guns at Wholesale Sports when they were still in business. The fit and finish was good but it jammed all the time. Now that I worked it over, no jams, very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot and carry....

I do hope Marlin carries on and makes some nice carbine rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
    A few months ago I couldn't find any in 45LC. Stopped looking. Thanks to you post I now own one.
    Good stuff, now all of us are waiting on your pictures, range and quality control report .

Bought my 38/357 Marlin about 6 years ago “ slicker than goose fat “ couldn’t be more pleased.

I love my marlin .357 stainless carbine, but even after polishing the internals it’s nowhere near as smooth as either my henry 357 or the gf’s Chiappa .44.
    On the upside the loading gate on the 1894 beats the Henry system hands down imho, and the xs peep sight/rail combo works great (I have a little fixed power 2.5x Leupold ultralight that fits the rifle well without destroying the balance) that can’t be used on the Chiappa due to the top eject. Also, after replacing the Marlin’s trigger with a Wild West happy trigger it’s easily the best of the 3.

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    Quote Originally Posted by CzyHorse View Post
    Good stuff, now all of us are waiting on your pictures, range and quality control report .
    The finish is excellent. I can't find a single flaw in any metal or bluing. The wood is very nice, but the fitment of the butt could've been done a little better. Slight gaps around the tang and receiver. Ran 100 Federal 225gn JSP through it. Every few rounds one would hang up while travelling into the chamber and I'd have to back off the lever a little and try again. Didn't test accuracy due to all the snow in the hayfield. Had an IPSC torso at 130 yards and we were easily hitting it off hand. Not enough adjustment in the rear sight for that distance so had to hold over. I was hitting 7/10 on steel. I'm gonna try reloading for it. Also have a spring kit on its way. I still haven't decided if this is something I'll keep around as I'm more of a long range and 9mm carbine kind of guy. No other 45 Colt chamberings in the stable.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU44 View Post
    I've owned two of these in 44Mag and they were both garbage, cycled horribly and not accurate at all. They were both JM stamped guns as well, I can only imagine what Remington can do with the design.
    What happened is that you owned the late production JM rifles. They were of much lower quality than the older counterparts. I owned two late 336s JM stamped and both would not feed. Both were sent back for warranty service which resulted in only partial improvement. Funny thing is that now people are willing to pay extra for the JM stamped rifles. Marlin was in fact border line bankrupt before Remington took over and QC was nowhere near the old standard. I've spent 18 months behind the gun counter of the large store not too long ago and Marlin was the single, most troubled brand that we carried. Around 2015 quality slightly improved (with all kinds of fairly evident problems still being present) just to dive lately again. Time will tell the rest of the story I guess.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    What happened is that you owned the late production JM rifles. They were of much lower quality than the older counterparts.
    That's what I've read as well, late Marlin and all Remlin production should be inspected and cycled in person if at all possible.

Any further news on this in Canada? I can't seem to find any info. I'm happy with my JM 1894, but if the kinks are worked out of the new ones I would consider one for my son.