Thread: Apartment Storage/Security suggestions

CGN Regular

Question Apartment Storage/Security suggestions

I'm moving into a new apartment soon and aside from the knowledge that 1st floor apartments are more likely to be burgled, and the need to at least put a study bar across my windows to keep anyone from forcing them without breaking the glass. I'm not especially worried about being robbed, it's not like I walk out of the house every day wearing designer clothes and lots of jewelry, or will have a giant tv and sound system sitting across from my chesterfield. About the only thing I have that would really catch a thief's eye would be my computer and the firearms I'm going to buy whenever my god damn PAL arrives (I never realized it was this damn slow!). Neither of which I intend to flash around to anyone but my friends and other trusted individuals.

However I still believe in being prepared, both in security measures, and space for future acquisitions, and was wondering what folks might suggest for a good solid container to get for my firearms? I was only casually browsing things right now since along with the PAL the apartment is being repainted and refloored and won't be done until another few more days, so I have time to shop around for a good deal on what I want/require. But one idea I was leaning toward was that I might go with a safe, rather than a cabinet, assuming that the former actually lives up to the name. That way it would be resistant to most intrusion attempts that would go unnoticed by my neighbors, and even be a useful storage location for money and personal documents.

And just for the sake of completeness, I'm planning to get an RFID pistol safe for the bedroom.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    The Firearms Act requires owners to safely store their firearms. There is no defined standard of "safely". There is some language about the type of container, but there is no defined resistance to force standard. Pretty well whatever the cop and the Crown Attorney think wasn't strong enough is sufficient for a charge.

On the other hand, your conscience and determination will guide your choices for a cabinet. There are a lot of commercial gunsafes circulating. So many that if a burglar sees one, he/she will know there are guns inside. Therefore, I'd suggest something that does not look like a gunsafe, but has a solid front, ie no glass windows, and enough locks. My first gunsafe was an inside clothes closet. I put a slab of plywood on the door, a deadbolt latch, and hinges with permanent pins. The next one was a two-door stationary cabinet. I lined it with 1/4" plywood some extra barrel bolts for the swinging door. I also found a deal on some steel gym lockers. Other people use government surplus safes and filing cabinet enclosures. If it is good enough to Top Secret documents, it probably is good enough for guns.

I haven't had to think much about apartment security lately. Be sure the landlord changes the locks and keys. Be sure the sliding door hardware is in good repair. Keep the curtains pulled when handling anything out of the safe. Consider putting lag bolts into the walls so the whole thing can't be carried off or tipped open. A fellow I know uses locking bars on his patio doors at all times, and has a diagonal brace to secure the passage door. Lots of ways to skin this cat!
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Well, if I was a robber and saw firearms in the house I wanted to robb I would probably change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by HaliGunian View Post
    About the only thing I have that would really catch a thief's eye would be my computer and the firearms I'm going to buy whenever my god damn PAL arrives (I never realized it was this damn slow!). Neither of which I intend to flash around to anyone but my friends and other trusted individuals.
    Congrats on your PAL. Personally...in this day and age, I wouldn't "flash around" firearms to anyone, even friends, unless they are fellow gun owners. Even then I wouldn't draw attention to myself but that's just me.

I had a gun cabinet for many years (has since been converted to an ammo cabinet last weekend) until I got a safe earlier this year. Safe is good if you get one that has fire protection and what not, and they come in various sizes that fit apartments and various size of homes. Much depends on your budget and whether you forsee yourself buying more than a few guns. Keeping important documents in there is important as well. Make sure you bolt it into the wall into a stud. That is easier to repair with patching it up, than bolting it to the floor. Depending on the size, keep it in a unseen location or cover it with stuff (boxes in front of it or whatever).
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    Get discreet cases for the elevators or stairs .. no need to advertise what you own. You don’t have to go overboard, just think square or rectangle shapes and not something shaped like a rifle etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HaliGunian View Post
    I'm moving into a new apartment soon and aside from the knowledge that 1st floor apartments are more likely to be burgled, and the need to at least put a study bar across my windows to keep anyone from forcing them without breaking the glass. I'm not especially worried about being robbed, it's not like I walk out of the house every day wearing designer clothes and lots of jewelry, or will have a giant tv and sound system sitting across from my chesterfield. About the only thing I have that would really catch a thief's eye would be my computer and the firearms I'm going to buy whenever my god damn PAL arrives (I never realized it was this damn slow!). Neither of which I intend to flash around to anyone but my friends and other trusted individuals.

However I still believe in being prepared, both in security measures, and space for future acquisitions, and was wondering what folks might suggest for a good solid container to get for my firearms? I was only casually browsing things right now since along with the PAL the apartment is being repainted and refloored and won't be done until another few more days, so I have time to shop around for a good deal on what I want/require. But one idea I was leaning toward was that I might go with a safe, rather than a cabinet, assuming that the former actually lives up to the name. That way it would be resistant to most intrusion attempts that would go unnoticed by my neighbors, and even be a useful storage location for money and personal documents.

And just for the sake of completeness, I'm planning to get an RFID pistol safe for the bedroom.
    You don't mention what type of building you're moving into,so,this is a generalization. Be sure there's no property firearm prohibition/restrictions by the owner/landlord/tenant association.
    That can cause no end of grief. It's better to check first.

Quote Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
    Get discreet cases for the elevators or stairs .. no need to advertise what you own. You don’t have to go overboard, just think square or rectangle shapes and not something shaped like a rifle etc.
    ^^^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^^^ Discretion is by far the best policy and ordinary rectangular hard cases are quite legal for firearm transfer and storage. There's no law anywhere that states that cases must be marked as firearms. It's not necessary to reveal contents to anyone other than the Police and only then under certain circumstances.

CGN frequent flyer
    Space under the bed is often not utilized and often overlooked.
    Consider a diy wall bed mechanism to lift the box spring/mattress and have a secure storage box on the floor
    just an idea
    Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Space under the bed is often not utilized and often overlooked.
    Consider a diy wall bed mechanism to lift the box spring/mattress and have a secure storage box on the floor
    just an idea
    My buddy and I built a bedframe with a compartment sized for a stackon cabinet, you can definitely utilize the space under your mattress.

CGN Regular
    Fancy safe bolted to the wall. Welded shut. Something they can spend hours trying to get into. Just put your guns under the bed or in the shower. They won’t even look around. They will spend all night trying to get into the safe. I have a couple safes in the house. My money feels safer in an old brown peanut butter container. Behind all the other crap in the fridge. Just a thought. My gun safe is 1/4 plate all around. Any special items have a trigger lock and are tastefully tucked away.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckhunter78 View Post
    Fancy safe bolted to the wall. Welded shut. Something they can spend hours trying to get into. Just put your guns under the bed or in the shower. They won’t even look around. They will spend all night trying to get into the safe. I have a couple safes in the house. My money feels safer in an old brown peanut butter container. Behind all the other crap in the fridge. Just a thought. My gun safe is 1/4 plate all around. Any special items have a trigger lock and are tastefully tucked away.
    That reminded me. Years ago one of my neighbours was victimized. B&E while they were out for the evening. Every room, every closet, every cupboard, every drawer was tossed. The lady of the house kept her best jewelry in an ice cream container in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The thief or thieves must have wanted a treat because they found her gold and diamond jewelry.