Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Send in Gun Range Membership Before Purchasing Restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by thorongil View Post
    Hasn't anyone challenged this lately???
    Called in today for guidance on how to borrow a handgun from someone and we had a chat about the process and the ATT. The person I spoke with won't budge, you have to have a range membership to get the paperwork done. Any paperwork apparently.
    Member CCFR
    Proud supporter of Wounded Warriors Canada
    Decaf is the Devil's drink.

That's great everyone. Thanks for the input. I'll likely just wait until I get purchase the firearm before I bother emailing the CFO with a copy of the range membership.

When I buy my first handgun, I understand I'll have to wait for the ATT to be issued and for the transfer to be processed, but will I have to wait for the paperwork to come in the mail before the retailer will send me my firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjenky View Post
    Who is the contact person for the H.L range these days?
    Honestly not sure. I work with a handful of people that are members and they told me to just go to the Home Hardware to purchase it. I still haven't been (but I likely will next week).

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by King Air View Post
    That's great everyone. Thanks for the input. I'll likely just wait until I get purchase the firearm before I bother emailing the CFO with a copy of the range membership.

When I buy my first handgun, I understand I'll have to wait for the ATT to be issued and for the transfer to be processed, but will I have to wait for the paperwork to come in the mail before the retailer will send me my firearm?

Honestly not sure. I work with a handful of people that are members and they told me to just go to the Home Hardware to purchase it. I still haven't been (but I likely will next week).
    They will likely send you a new RPAL card and piece of paper with conditions you have to carry with your card. Either your retailer will get the paperwork for you to take it home or you have to call and get it. They can email it to you so you can print it. Your registration certificate will come later in the mail.
    Member CSSA, Avid Reloader, Hobby Gunsmith

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Air View Post

Once the seller has their transfer paperwork from the CFO they can mail the firearm to you. But - they won't get that paperwork until the CFO has your range info....
    Make the purchase - email the CFO with Range info - wait. AB is only a few days from what I have been reading. Any delay would be them not having your Range info.

Once the firearm is in your possession (at home) you need to wait for the Registration paper (and new Conditions paper which contains your ATT) to take it anywhere.
    Last edited by Paul_T; 03-09-2018 at 12:39 AM.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Here was my reply to the CFO when I renewed my licence a couple of years ago: Forgive the missing information, I removed certain details.

Scott

Dan Magotiaux
    Chief Firearms Officer
    Alberta and the Northwest Territories
    11140 – 109 Street
    Edmonton Alberta T5J 2T4

RE: Request for Confirmation of Purpose
    Licence Application:
    Due date: November 2015
    (Licence expires )

Sir,

I am in receipt of your recent, somewhat threatening letter, demanding that I confirm that my license application is valid by providing to your office a copy of a current gun club membership.

I have continually held memberships in gun clubs in Ontario and Alberta prior to and since the inception of the Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) in 1979, holding positions from president to Chief Range Safety Officer as well as chair for various leagues at these gun clubs. Since the passing of bill C-68, I have been “Forced” to prove my continued participation in my hobby and sport every 5 years as my current Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) comes up for renewal. At present I hold memberships at two different gun clubs, namely the Canadian Historical Arms Society (C.H.A.S.) and the Algonquin Shooting Sports Association.

Pursuant to section 67(2), the provincial CFO shall decide if I am using my restricted and or prohibited firearms for the purpose I have indicated on my firearms licence renewal application.

I believe that with some 36 years of club memberships and competitively shooting for at least that long, I have more than proven that I am using my firearms for the purpose I have expressed in my current application. If you have some evidence to suggest otherwise, please provide this evidence to me via return mail so that I may review and correct any incorrect information.

I hereby declare, that once my current membership(s) expire, I will renew at least one of those expiring memberships for 2016 and subsequently for the years remaining on the newly to be issued PAL.

Sincerely,

Scott

As a note, I received my new license in the mail about a week after sending this letter.

There is no provision in the Act demanding membership in a club, you have the right in Canada to associate with whomever you wish, you also have the right to not be forced to associate with anyone! Notice I did 2 things, sent a letter and demanded evidence to be returned via the same method.

Scott
    "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kingjenky's Avatar
    Good for you for not bowing down!
    We are all so politically correct!!!! its gonna ruin us all......

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Ummm, not correct. OP's RPAL paperwork will not have any ATT info if he has not previously purchased a Restricted.....

Correct - some stores will sell you the firearm and start the Transfer, but the CFO will not compete it without Range info.

Only Ontario.....

King Air - I would wait until you have purchased the firearm and the Transfer application has been sent by the shop.
    At that point email a copy of your Range Membership to the CFO -

use 'Attn Alberta CFO' in the Subject line (or something to that effect)

the email address is cfpcfounit@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Put your name and address and PAL number in the email and comment that a Transfer application has been made by ### store for ### firearm and enclosed is your Range Membership to help expedite the Transfer.
    I would also ask them to send you the final Transfer paperwork via email.

Unfortunately you still need to wait for the Registration papers to arrive via snail mail about 10-14 days after the Transfer goes through.....

You will also get a new PAL card and a piece of paper with new Subjects on it (including the 'built in' ATT).
    That email you provided. Is that only for Alberta ? Or can anybody send their pal and range info on there and title “Attn (whatever province you are from” cfo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpan187 View Post
    That email you provided. Is that only for Alberta ? Or can anybody send their pal and range info on there and title “Attn (whatever province you are from” cfo.
    That is the general email for the CFP - based on the Subject/Contents they should forward it to the appropriate Provincial CFO.

For BC you could make it attention BC CFO Terry Hamilton or fax 1-888-895-9955 attention BC CFO Terry Hamilton
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    That is the general email for the CFP - based on the Subject/Contents they should forward it to the appropriate Provincial CFO.

For BC you could make it attention BC CFO Terry Hamilton or fax 1-888-895-9955 attention BC CFO Terry Hamilton
    Thanks man! Appreciate the help.

My first restricted firearm just got delivered to me on Friday morning. It’s a beautiful M9A3. I’m in Ontario and the store did all the transfer stuff and all I’ve had to do is wait.

Now that I have the pistol am I just supposed to wait for the new RPAL with the 6 allowed travel places or do I need to apply for that? Also I got a temporary transfer notification with the pistol that says I need to wait for the real registration certificate in a separate envelope.

I have a membership at Target Sports but haven’t completed the standard club course yet.

I thought I was going to get called by the CFO asking me about the range but maybe I’m supposed to??

Btw this Beretta is friggin awesome
    CCFR, CSSA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast