Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Send in Gun Range Membership Before Purchasing Restricted?

Send in Gun Range Membership Before Purchasing Restricted?

Hi!

I'm in Alberta and I recently got my PAL/RPAL. I'm a member at a gun club now (High Level Sporting Association).

I'm waiting for Rampart to get the Glock 19 back in stock before I purchase my first restricted firearm. Should I send in my gun range membership to the Alberta CFO now or should I apply for an ATT? Will filling out the form on the dealers website be sufficient or does the CFO need a copy of my card?

Thanks a lot!

CGN Regular
    Read your RPAL paperwork. No need to send anything to CFO.

CGN Regular
    I'm not sure if it's written in any form but the CFO in Saskatchewan requires one and Cabelas won't even sell to you unless you bring proof of membership to the store.

I've owned many classes of firearms for years but not bought anything in several years. When my wife and I purchased a couple of new ones in Nov the Alberta CFO would not complete the transfer until we sent in a copy of our range membership.

Hasn't anyone challenged this lately???
    Sport Shooter and Hunter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dm9 View Post
    Read your RPAL paperwork. No need to send anything to CFO.
    Ummm, not correct. OP's RPAL paperwork will not have any ATT info if he has not previously purchased a Restricted.....

Quote Originally Posted by BunkerC View Post
    I've owned many classes of firearms for years but not bought anything in several years. When my wife and I purchased a couple of new ones in Nov the Alberta CFO would not complete the transfer until we sent in a copy of our range membership.
    Correct - some stores will sell you the firearm and start the Transfer, but the CFO will not compete it without Range info.

Quote Originally Posted by thorongil View Post
    Hasn't anyone challenged this lately???
    Only Ontario.....

King Air - I would wait until you have purchased the firearm and the Transfer application has been sent by the shop.
    At that point email a copy of your Range Membership to the CFO -

use 'Attn Alberta CFO' in the Subject line (or something to that effect)

the email address is cfpcfounit@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Put your name and address and PAL number in the email and comment that a Transfer application has been made by ### store for ### firearm and enclosed is your Range Membership to help expedite the Transfer.
    I would also ask them to send you the final Transfer paperwork via email.

Unfortunately you still need to wait for the Registration papers to arrive via snail mail about 10-14 days after the Transfer goes through.....

You will also get a new PAL card and a piece of paper with new Subjects on it (including the 'built in' ATT).
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Regular
    I find this unacceptable. They should account for people who for whatever reason won't shoot for a year thus not having to spend money on a membership just to store the guns. I was in this situation when I built a house myself and had kids during the mix.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kingjenky's Avatar
    Who is the contact person for the H.L range these days?
    We are all so politically correct!!!! its gonna ruin us all......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Send your range membership info to the CFO as soon as you can. It will take them a little while to update your RPAL with the new attached 'special conditions'. They will also not approve a transfer to you until you've done this.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk223 View Post
    I find this unacceptable. They should account for people who for whatever reason won't shoot for a year thus not having to spend money on a membership just to store the guns. I was in this situation when I built a house myself and had kids during the mix.
    You can apply for collector status, but the conditions on your RPAL will not include transport to a range.

Also, feel free to cancel your range membership for the other 4 years of your RPAL term. There's no condition (That I'm aware of) that states that a range membership has to be maintained. Its only purpose (As it isn't actually a legal requirement) is to appease the CFO so they'll issue the special conditions on your RPAL.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    Send your range membership info to the CFO as soon as you can. It will take them a little while to update your RPAL with the new attached 'special conditions'. They will also not approve a transfer to you until you've done this.

You can apply for collector status, but the conditions on your RPAL will not include transport to a range.

Also, feel free to cancel your range membership for the other 4 years of your RPAL term. There's no condition (That I'm aware of) that states that a range membership has to be maintained. Its only purpose (As it isn't actually a legal requirement) is to appease the CFO so they'll issue the special conditions on your RPAL.
    I fully intend to do this but chose not to while with my ex. I'm going to wait until things are finalized with my ex then I'm on it. That said I'm free to shoot now and will likely keep a range membership.
    Member CSSA, Avid Reloader, Hobby Gunsmith

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast