Page 17 of 76 FirstFirst ... 79101112131415161718192021222324252737 ... LastLast

Thread: support for eddie Maurice's self defense case Please read...

With tax time just around the corner, can any of us be surprised that the Liberal government naturally empathizes with the drug-addled thieves?
    CSSA and now - on Trudeau's recommendation - CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    Look at the states. Every single defensive shooting is fully investigated as you would expect. The difference is in the US they remember what the presumption of innocence is, and the police lay charges only when they have ecidence of a BAD use of force.

In Canada, they assume any use of force of wrong, lay the charges, and then investigate. Thats where the punishment by process and miscarriage starts, bit obviously doesnt end there.
    How do you reconcile that with supporting a guy who more or less intended to pass a death sentence on a thief without any process? It's normal to cut some slack to someone you identify with (in this scenario, I suppose you own a property, one or more guns, and don't go steal into other peoples cars, so you probably identify more with the shooter than the shootee), but it's still not how the law works.

It's cute that some of you want to give the benefit of the doubt to the gunowner/homeowner, but not the slightest bit to the "thief". At the moment that the shooter took his potshots, he didn't know they were metheads, didn't know they had priors, he didn't know anything really, other than "these guys are walking on that particular square foot of land that belongs to me".

As for presumption of innocence, the shooter does benefit from it. He's still presumed innocent. Only when/if he pleads guilty or is declared guilty will the presumption that he is innocent disappear. The fact that our society provides him with that presumption although he does not debate the fact that he did shoot someone is kind if a lot considering he didn't offer that same thing to the "thief".

What some people on this board are asking for is not presumption of innocence or a fair trial, it's for the right of homeowners to perform summary executions on car-stealing metheads. Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    I'm fine with thieves getting shot.

Super GunNutz
    you break in to someone else's property or home,you get what you deserve,if it happens enough,,maybe these low lifes will stop taking the chance,

BANNED
    There's something to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey1 View Post
    you break in to someone else's property or home,you get what you deserve,if it happens enough,,maybe these low lifes will stop taking the chance,
    Right now they do it, because they know they can get away with it

Once word gets out that property owners are taking a stand, these bums will look elsewhere to score their drug money.

I believe in this 100%

CGN Regular
    I believe the problem lies in the justice system that doesn’t provide enough disincentive to criminals. This alleged theif ( because he is innocent until proven guilty in court, right?) was a repeat offender and didn’t seem to think the risk outweighed the reward. As others have said, the system gets played by the criminal element, everyone has rights and feelings and such.

Until it’s your house/car/business that is targeted. Or your family. I am certain that anyone that has posted that a criminal’s life is worth more than fill in the blank would make an about face when put in the position this land owner was.

I am not willing to take the risk that someone entering my home unannounced is just after some loose change. I see it as a premeditated attack on my safety and security, why should you have rights when you have decided to ignnore mine?

I’m not waiting at the door woth loaded fire arms, but I certainly don’t think the home owner in question did anything wrong when faced with the situation. Until criminals are presented with consequences that will stop the crime, innocent people will suffer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer farmer47's Avatar
    those that sympathize with the criminal element have never been threatened and outnumbered by thieves . to try and make an informed opinion you have to have had the experience.i have had it happen to me and you do not get to pick the time or place or circumstances as i was working late at night and was confronted by two large individuals intent on robbing me of my property .for those of you advocating to call the police and let them deal with it you may not have the option.it is very easy to say you should do this or do that but if you find yourself outnumbered it is a different ball game.

CGN Regular
    If you play stupid games, you will win stupid prizes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer47 View Post
    those that sympathize with the criminal element have never been threatened and outnumbered by thieves . to try and make an informed opinion you have to have had the experience.i have had it happen to me and you do not get to pick the time or place or circumstances as i was working late at night and was confronted by two large individuals intent on robbing me of my property .for those of you advocating to call the police and let them deal with it you may not have the option.it is very easy to say you should do this or do that but if you find yourself outnumbered it is a different ball game.
    Those who sympathize with the shooter have never been shot.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Not if they're actually metheads. They're just gonna try to get guns to shoot you before you shoot them. And btw the current "low-life" didn't break into anyone's home.