Page 20 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161718192021222324252627283040 ... LastLast

Thread: support for eddie Maurice's self defense case Please read...

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    How do you reconcile that with supporting a guy who more or less intended to pass a death sentence on a thief without any process? It's normal to cut some slack to someone you identify with (in this scenario, I suppose you own a property, one or more guns, and don't go steal into other peoples cars, so you probably identify more with the shooter than the shootee), but it's still not how the law works.

It's cute that some of you want to give the benefit of the doubt to the gunowner/homeowner, but not the slightest bit to the "thief". At the moment that the shooter took his potshots, he didn't know they were metheads, didn't know they had priors, he didn't know anything really, other than "these guys are walking on that particular square foot of land that belongs to me".

As for presumption of innocence, the shooter does benefit from it. He's still presumed innocent. Only when/if he pleads guilty or is declared guilty will the presumption that he is innocent disappear. The fact that our society provides him with that presumption although he does not debate the fact that he did shoot someone is kind if a lot considering he didn't offer that same thing to the "thief".

What some people on this board are asking for is not presumption of innocence or a fair trial, it's for the right of homeowners to perform summary executions on car-stealing metheads. Case in point:

who more or less intended to pass a death sentence
    You don't know his intentions. You aren't involved in the investigation, and you weren't there.
    Leave your scenarios and speculation for the OT, tinfoil version of this thread, please. This thread is about making sure a man gets his day in court, without having the life squeezed out of him by the prosecution, before it even starts. If you think "punishment by process" is unacceptable in this country, then donate to this cause.

What some people on this board are asking for is
    Who cares what some people on this board think? They aren't the ones out on bail.

he didn't know anything really, other than "these guys are walking on that particular square foot of land that belongs to me".
    Ok, now you're just making stuff up

He's still presumed innocent.
    Yet he is still being punished severely, by the terrible system of injustice we have, where the goal (like in our healthcare system) is to make the process so painful, so as to force people to accept whatever gets them out of it. It's all about saving taxpayer dollars...at the taxpayer's expense :/

Look, I won't address the rest, as you obviously have some skin in this game. Still though Vinny, lots of great reasons to chip in a few bucks, and not too many good excuses not to.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by slim123 View Post
    Its great that the pot is getting bigger in fundrazr.....but i'll bet it's a lot higher considering the direct deposit and EMT. A lot of rural folks around here more than likely gave money thru the bank and emt....at the rally nobody even knew about the fundrazr website.

Its great to see so many ppl come together in support..... IRG's as I said before is "top notch" for taking up this thread......shows they really care about people....not just their money and patronage
    It would be great to get an update somehow. Although,I think IRG really came through for all of us here, not just the Maurice family.

Next time it comes to buy, this will be remembered.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How do you reconcile that with supporting a guy who more or less intended to pass a death sentence on a thief without any process? It's normal to cut some slack to someone you identify with (in this scenario, I suppose you own a property, one or more guns, and don't go steal into other peoples cars, so you probably identify more with the shooter than the shootee), but it's still not how the law works.

It's cute that some of you want to give the benefit of the doubt to the gunowner/homeowner, but not the slightest bit to the "thief". At the moment that the shooter took his potshots, he didn't know they were metheads, didn't know they had priors, he didn't know anything really, other than "these guys are walking on that particular square foot of land that belongs to me".

As for presumption of innocence, the shooter does benefit from it. He's still presumed innocent. Only when/if he pleads guilty or is declared guilty will the presumption that he is innocent disappear. The fact that our society provides him with that presumption although he does not debate the fact that he did shoot someone is kind if a lot considering he didn't offer that same thing to the "thief".

What some people on this board are asking for is not presumption of innocence or a fair trial, it's for the right of homeowners to perform summary executions on car-stealing metheads. Case in point:
    Nonsense.

No one is issuing a death sentence on a thief. Sentences are things that are issued after a crime has been committed to punish. What we are talking about is using reasonable force to stop the ongoing comission of the offence. As I said, it is the criminal who decides how much force is necessary to deter them.

No I dont give any benefit of the doubt to the thief. We are not talking about a simple tresspasser who is cutting through. In this case the guy was rummaging through buddys car.

If you are desperate and in need, ring the door bell and ask for help. Not many here would suggest shooting uninvited callers through the front door no questions asked is reasonable.

No, the shooter didnt know about priors, meth or much else, but contrary to your assumption that implies the homeowner was a trigger happy castle doctrine enthusiast, he did know that this guy wasnt just walking across his property.

You clearly dont know how the presumption of innocence works. It isnt simply about not being able to say he did it until a judge agrees. It should also involve not even laying charges until there is enough evidence to believe that the actions were actually unlawful.

Yes police use of force gets investigated thoroughly. No one here is seriously suggesting that shootings not be investigated. Just do the investigation first, lay charges second.

The current MO in this country is to ASSUME that any use of force is unlawful until the accused can prove otherwise, ensuring that anyone who refuses to be a victim gets victimized twice.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by wiener View Post
    Stopping*

And a spelling cop, too....

Move along.
    Save the Earth! It's the only planet with beer

I'm not predjudiced: I hate ALL social-engineering d**kheads equally...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post

The current MO in this country is to ASSUME that any use of force is unlawful until the accused can prove otherwise, ensuring that anyone who refuses to be a victim gets victimized twice.
    Well said, Cam. This is exactly it... And the accused is crippled financially by the system regardless of the outcome.

Obviously I've been away for a couple days. Otherwise you would have found the door to my ignore room a lot sooner.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by wiener View Post
    jUsTiFyInG*

yOu dIdN't JuSt MiSs A "g" LiKe ThE GeNtLeMaN ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar

Biggest problem I see is the wildly lopsided nature of our adversarial criminal justice system. On one side you have the crown and police with virtually unlimited resources supplied by the taxpayer. On the other an individual with only what support/expertise he can afford to pay for out of his own pocket. Even if a person is completely innocent and is found not guilty he has in effect been "fined" a huge amount of money with no avenue for compensation. People can be ruined financially and lose everything when they have done nothing wrong.
    Last edited by sailor723; 03-11-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Just sent my donation... When good men do nothing.. Evil people will win

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Maple Leaf Pilgrim's Avatar
    Next paycheck I can donate some money.

-X.

CGN Regular
    Donation sent. Something is e**ed up if decent people defending their property have to be more afraid of the law than methed scumbags..
    Thanks IRUNGUNS.