Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: support for eddie Maurice's self defense case Please read...

Quote Originally Posted by matm View Post
    Im glad that this man and his family are safe. from what i gathered he shot at the suspects in his driveway? If so that unfortunately may be a tough sell to the court. There was a similar situation in Hamilton a couple years ago. I can't remember if he got off or not. Its hard to justify a life threat when they aren't in the house or trying to get in. Hard to know their intent though.
    From what has been reported, late at night he found a couple of guys going thru his vehicles. He was at home with his wife and kid(s). He confronted them, alone. Shots were fired. One of the thieves ended up with a wound to his arm. He has been charged with aggravated assault, pointing a firearm and careless use of a firearm. He could do federal time b/c it's a violent offense involving a firearm.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

Do a go fund me page. I'll donate.
    Money isn't everthing. It's just something needed to purchase anything.

Im glad that this man and his family are safe. from what i gathered he shot at the suspects in his driveway? If so that unfortunately may be a tough sell to the court. There was a similar situation in Hamilton a couple years ago. I can't remember if he got off or not. Its hard to justify a life threat when they aren't in the house or trying to get in. Hard to know their intent though.
    Case in Hamilton has not yet been tried...Peter Khill is the homeowner in that case.

Just heard that in the Gerald Stanley case the witnesses(perps) were given immunity for their testimony then proceeded to lie on the stand..WTF.
    Money isn't everthing. It's just something needed to purchase anything.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by saskdude99 View Post
    Just heard that in the Gerald Stanley case the witnesses(perps) were given immunity for their testimony then proceeded to lie on the stand..WTF.
    You heard correct

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    From what has been reported, late at night he found a couple of guys going thru his vehicles. He was at home with his wife and kid(s). He confronted them, alone. Shots were fired. One of the thieves ended up with a wound to his arm. He has been charged with aggravated assault, pointing a firearm and careless use of a firearm. He could do federal time b/c it's a violent offense involving a firearm.
    Thank you for this information. Theres a pretty clear line between protecting life and protecting property. I believe that defending the life of yourself and your family should be a right no question. Defending physical property ie vehicles with lethal force, i don't necessarily agree with. Personally i would rather pay an insurance deductible on a stolen or damaged vehicle as opposed to the absolute legal nightmare this man and his family are now facing. Not siding with the criminals or anything but this isn't the wild west. Just my opinion though.

Thank you for this information. Theres a pretty clear line between protecting life and protecting property. I believe that defending the life of yourself and your family should be a right no question. Defending physical property ie vehicles with lethal force i don't necessarily agree with. Personally i would rather pay an insurance deductible on a stolen or damaged vehicle as opposed to the absolute legal nightmare this man and his family are now facing. Not siding with the criminals or anything but this isn't the wild west. My opinion though.
    I hear you. Prima facie, I don't think this is unreasonable.
    However, you need to put yourself in his shoes: late at night, he's alone, rural area where the police are far away; thieves come to his home, his wife and child are inside, he goes out to see what's what and a there's a confrontation.
    Would you reasonably fear for your life and the life of your family? Would it be unreasonable in to bring your firearm with you when you go out to check on your property in those circumstances?

I certainly don't know if Mr. Maurice did everything right but from what I know so far, I don't want him doing time for this.
    Last edited by bcbravo2zero; 03-09-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

CGN Regular
    Best to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    #makebeingacriminalriskyagain