Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: support for eddie Maurice's self defense case Please read...

Quote Originally Posted by matm View Post
    Thank you for this information. Theres a pretty clear line between protecting life and protecting property. I believe that defending the life of yourself and your family should be a right no question. Defending physical property ie vehicles with lethal force, i don't necessarily agree with. Personally i would rather pay an insurance deductible on a stolen or damaged vehicle as opposed to the absolute legal nightmare this man and his family are now facing. Not siding with the criminals or anything but this isn't the wild west. Just my opinion though.
    I agree with you at face value. But remember that Meth'd up gangsters are not capable of drawing distinction of the clear line you mention. For instance, one thing leads to another in the blink of an eye in these situations. For example, in my experience, I stumbled upon a theif in my garage as i was leaving the house late at night. I had no idea he was there. It was just bad timing for him. Yes, his intentions were initially theft as he had a few things gathered...and turns out he was looking for gas for his stolen car which was run out down the street. Long story short, when I startled him he decided "fight" rather than "flight". I rose to the occasion. During the altercation I was acutely aware that this could escalate to a full on home invasion/ robbery/ who knows! Anyways, my point is that our laws don't work on the lawless, and you can't reason with the unreasonable. I most certainly thought my life and family was in clear imminate danger...but the arm chair quarterbacks would say it was just a petty thief. If you catch a theif red handed, they can turn on you very quick. A property theft easily turns into someone tying you up and raping your wife. The line between protection of property and protection of life is most certainly breechable. Not necessarily as clear as you stated
    If you meet more than one azzhole per day...chances are you're the azzhole....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    I might have stayed inside too. Then again, I can afford to. I'm older, I have money and lots of expensive insurance. Stealing my stuff, even if it happens multiple times, will not threaten the financial welfare of me and my family.

In any case, why should a homeowner who hears strange sounds outside be required to stay inside and not investigate? There is no indication that this was a "hobo" hanging out on his property, or a stranded motorist, or anything like that. They were pretty clearly thieves, at his rural property in the middle of the night, and they had broken into his vehicle(s). But yes, if he had gone out spraying bullets just b/c there was someone on his property then he would probably not have my sympathies. But again, this was not the case.

And BTW, if you believe that if they had broken in and he'd shot them that he wouldn't be charged, then you are kidding yourself. I have friends and colleagues who are Crown counsel. This is how it works: use a gun under any circumstances, get charged, let the trial judge sort it out.
    Because he might have to kill someone or get killed himself?

I'll be happy to follow that particular trial. There's a very large difference between a guy who rightfully feared for his life and a trigger-happy guy who's just waiting for others to walk onto his property to shoot at them. In between there's a whole spectrum: a guy who's fed up of being robbed and decide to shoot a thief in a fit of rage, a guy who just happens to shoot the thief by mistake with a warning shot, a non-voluntary discharge under stress, etc... But in this particular case, the very little information that we have doesn't look good for the shooter.

Your prosecutor friends are bad at their job. There isn't a good prosecutor who would say "under any circumstances" or "let the trial judge sort it out". You need a "reasonnable probability of conviction" to press charges. The use of a gun doesn't give you that in just any circumstances.

More details would be nice. Too many variables so far. He sure looks like a nice normal guy. Must have been awfully scared to do what he did. Maybe he got robbed in the past and was trying to get even. Who knows. Too many unanswered questions

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1976 View Post
    I agree with you at face value. But remember that Meth'd up gangsters are not capable of drawing distinction of the clear line you mention. For instance, one thing leads to another in the blink of an eye in these situations. For example, in my experience, I stumbled upon a theif in my garage as i was leaving the house late at night. I had no idea he was there. It was just bad timing for him. Yes, his intentions were initially theft as he had a few things gathered...and turns out he was looking for gas for his stolen car which was run out down the street. Long story short, when I startled him he decided "fight" rather than "flight". I rose to the occasion. During the altercation I was acutely aware that this could escalate to a full on home invasion/ robbery/ who knows! Anyways, my point is that our laws don't work on the lawless, and you can't reason with the unreasonable. I most certainly thought my life and family was in clear imminate danger...but the arm chair quarterbacks would say it was just a petty thief. If you catch a theif red handed, they can turn on you very quick. A property theft easily turns into someone tying you up and raping your wife. The line between protection of property and protection of life is most certainly breechable. Not necessarily as clear as you stated
    Of course it isn't black and white, i put it bluntly i realize that. Every case is different and in the end what's done is done and it's up to the justice system now. Hopefully it all works out for him and his family. Cant really say anything more until more facts come out l.
    Last edited by matm; 03-09-2018 at 06:53 PM.

The problem with most people is they say a human life is not worth your stuff.
    While on paper this might be true, but look at the underlying facts..
    My stuff took my time to get, can you get your time back?? No you can't so your stuff actually becomes priceless, because time spent cannot be gotten back.
    So it maybe worth some thiefs life then?

CGN Regular
    Definitely need to hear all the facts and the complete story before passing judgement. The majority of urban folks have no experience living in a rural environment. When you live on rural property and hear something unusual outside, taking a firearm outside whilst you investigate is good common sense. Discharging that firearm is another matter that requires a solid reason. I hope in this case the man had a valid reason to point it at another man and discharge it. This is where we need all the facts and the complete story. You never get this via the media these days. Just short incomplete news story sound bites.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Thanks for posting this, IRG.

I already donated to his Fundrazr support campaign, but will send an EMT as well.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1976 View Post
    Geezus, absolutely terrifying. I'm glad you came out relatively unscathed.

I live in the city. I came home one night to a homeless guy on my property, pi$$ing on my home. I rolled down the window and said, "Come on, man! WTF?! Get the hell outta here!"
    He went to his Safeway cart and got out a pipe and started threatening me with it. I dialed 9-1-1 on my iphone. Thankfully, he took off. But yes, it turned potentially violent in a matter of seconds...because I had the audacity to object to him trespassing and using my home as his toilet.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by matm View Post
    Of course it isn't black and white, i put it bluntly i realize that. Every case is different and in the end what's done is done and it's up to the justice system now. Hopefully it all works out for him and his family. Cant really say anything more until more facts come out l.
    I agree. The facts are blurry at best right now. But one thing I know for sure is, I would hate to see a father/ husband do hard time over this.... if infact he was just a scared shytless investigator of a bump in the night.... he may pay a huge price for his judgment.....or already is.
    If you meet more than one azzhole per day...chances are you're the azzhole....

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
    The problem with most people is they say a human life is not worth your stuff.
    While on paper this might be true, but look at the underlying facts..
    My stuff took my time to get, can you get your time back?? No you can't so your stuff actually becomes priceless, because time spent cannot be gotten back.
    ^^Well said. Your stuff is your life, so when someone is stealing your stuff they are stealing your life..

I hope that makes sense.. I'm pretty shook up covered in tears thinkin about those poor meth heads : (.. I had to pause Brokeback Mountain to regain my composure. Some people are just so unCanadian.