CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: New Savage Lightweight

  1. #1
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Suther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Port Moody
    Posts
    7,518

    New Savage Lightweight

    Any word on when we can expect the new Savage Lightweight Storms, and perhaps pricing?

    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

  2. #2
    Super GunNutz vancouverbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    769
    Just call or email Clay at Prophet River. $800 ish?

  3. #3
    Uber Super GunNutz David L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    717
    1++

  4. #4
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Suther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Port Moody
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouverbc View Post
    Just call or email Clay at Prophet River. $800 ish?
    I would assume anything on the shelves right now is the old model lightweight, which doesn't come with the new adjustable stock (I think the old ones were generally blued steel vs stainless too?)

    I want to get a lightweight rifle for this coming fall season, but I want to get my hands on one of the new savages before I decide what to buy, as they are one of the cheapest of the sub-6lb guns. I'm also considering the Kimber Hunter and Howa mountain rifle, but they're like $1300 and $1500, plus I have had good experiences with the savages I've owned thus far.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

  5. #5
    Member nathank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Alberta
    Posts
    51
    I love my older savage lwh in .308 with the wood stock. These look really nice though.

  6. #6
    Super GunNutz vancouverbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    769
    Yeah just call Clay. They'll order one up. These just came out I doubt many/any dealers have them yet.

    Since you mention it, if you're going to make a step up the Kimber Hunters are nice but the stock is so-so and might be better off finding a used Montana or Finnlight and be done with it. I had the older model stainless lightweight Savage (yeah they make em in a 116 IIRC) and could not get over the cheap stock got rid of it got a Kimber (and a Sako).


    ** Acceptance of an offer via PM is a binding contract of sale under law in Canada. Please don't PM me if you have no intention of following through on deals. I leave pos/neg feedback as per the CGN EE Rules. Please note I ship expedited with $100 insurance and signature required. Additional coverage is up to you if required.

  7. #7
    CGN Regular 7.62Nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Vancouver, Beautiful British Columbia
    Posts
    248
    There is older stainless lightweight hunters. Prices "should" come down if any dealers still have em in stock. Last I saw the stainless lightweight hunters were over $1000.
    Suddenrush

  8. #8
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Suther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Port Moody
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouverbc View Post
    Yeah just call Clay. They'll order one up. These just came out I doubt many/any dealers have them yet.

    Since you mention it, if you're going to make a step up the Kimber Hunters are nice but the stock is so-so and might be better off finding a used Montana or Finnlight and be done with it. I had the older model stainless lightweight Savage (yeah they make em in a 116 IIRC) and could not get over the cheap stock got rid of it got a Kimber (and a Sako).
    I can't really justify the money on a Montana yet. I'm not even 100% sure I'll like a lightweight model come shooting time. I want to handle one of these rifles before I pull the trigger on anything, so ordering one sight unseen doesn't really work for me. As for the Hunter stock, I hear it's not as good as the Montana, but I currently use a savage axis so I'm sure the stock is still a step up from what I've got.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62Nato View Post
    There is older stainless lightweight hunters. Prices "should" come down if any dealers still have em in stock. Last I saw the stainless lightweight hunters were over $1000.
    I am specifically after the new one with the adjustable stock. I'm a smaller guy so length of pull is always an issue for me.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

  9. #9
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet kc34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    5,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I can't really justify the money on a Montana yet. I'm not even 100% sure I'll like a lightweight model come shooting time. I want to handle one of these rifles before I pull the trigger on anything, so ordering one sight unseen doesn't really work for me. As for the Hunter stock, I hear it's not as good as the Montana, but I currently use a savage axis so I'm sure the stock is still a step up from what I've got.

    I am specifically after the new one with the adjustable stock. I'm a smaller guy so length of pull is always an issue for me.
    I really like having a short length of pull rifle especially when it is cold and I`m wearing a lot of layers. The rifle comes up to your shoulder quick and easy even when your in an awkward hunting position. I have one of the Weatherby Vanguard youth models with the adjustable LOP and it is nice but I think it is still is around 6.5 pounds? The new Savage lightweight looks nice for a reasonably priced lightweight rifle.

  10. #10
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Suther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Port Moody
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by kc34 View Post
    I really like having a short length of pull rifle especially when it is cold and I`m wearing a lot of layers. The rifle comes up to your shoulder quick and easy even when your in an awkward hunting position. I have one of the Weatherby Vanguard youth models with the adjustable LOP and it is nice but I think it is still is around 6.5 pounds? The new Savage lightweight looks nice for a reasonably priced lightweight rifle.
    With a US MSRP of $749, that translates to about $960 CAD at the current exchange rate. I assume it'll be a bit higher than that, import isn't free and everyone needs to make their cut along the way, but they should still be the cheapest sub-6lb gun by around $200 +/-, and they are the only one that comes with an adjustable stock. The adjustable length of pull is nice, but I'm looking forward to checking out the adjustable comb height just as much. Just as standard stocks are a bit too long, they're generally a bit too low for me too.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •