Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Savage Lightweight

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar

New Savage Lightweight

Any word on when we can expect the new Savage Lightweight Storms, and perhaps pricing?

"We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Just call or email Clay at Prophet River. $800 ish?

1++

Quote Originally Posted by vancouverbc View Post
    Just call or email Clay at Prophet River. $800 ish?
    I would assume anything on the shelves right now is the old model lightweight, which doesn't come with the new adjustable stock (I think the old ones were generally blued steel vs stainless too?)

I want to get a lightweight rifle for this coming fall season, but I want to get my hands on one of the new savages before I decide what to buy, as they are one of the cheapest of the sub-6lb guns. I'm also considering the Kimber Hunter and Howa mountain rifle, but they're like $1300 and $1500, plus I have had good experiences with the savages I've owned thus far.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I love my older savage lwh in .308 with the wood stock. These look really nice though.

Yeah just call Clay. They'll order one up. These just came out I doubt many/any dealers have them yet.

Since you mention it, if you're going to make a step up the Kimber Hunters are nice but the stock is so-so and might be better off finding a used Montana or Finnlight and be done with it. I had the older model stainless lightweight Savage (yeah they make em in a 116 IIRC) and could not get over the cheap stock got rid of it got a Kimber (and a Sako).
    Parcels are sent via Canada Post and include $100 insurance and signature required. Extra insurance is available at extra cost to you per Canada Post $2.20 per $100 optional.

Metro Vancouver, Beautiful British Columbia
    There is older stainless lightweight hunters. Prices "should" come down if any dealers still have em in stock. Last I saw the stainless lightweight hunters were over $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by vancouverbc View Post
    Yeah just call Clay. They'll order one up. These just came out I doubt many/any dealers have them yet.

Since you mention it, if you're going to make a step up the Kimber Hunters are nice but the stock is so-so and might be better off finding a used Montana or Finnlight and be done with it. I had the older model stainless lightweight Savage (yeah they make em in a 116 IIRC) and could not get over the cheap stock got rid of it got a Kimber (and a Sako).
    I can't really justify the money on a Montana yet. I'm not even 100% sure I'll like a lightweight model come shooting time. I want to handle one of these rifles before I pull the trigger on anything, so ordering one sight unseen doesn't really work for me. As for the Hunter stock, I hear it's not as good as the Montana, but I currently use a savage axis so I'm sure the stock is still a step up from what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62Nato View Post
    There is older stainless lightweight hunters. Prices "should" come down if any dealers still have em in stock. Last I saw the stainless lightweight hunters were over $1000.
    I am specifically after the new one with the adjustable stock. I'm a smaller guy so length of pull is always an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I can't really justify the money on a Montana yet. I'm not even 100% sure I'll like a lightweight model come shooting time. I want to handle one of these rifles before I pull the trigger on anything, so ordering one sight unseen doesn't really work for me. As for the Hunter stock, I hear it's not as good as the Montana, but I currently use a savage axis so I'm sure the stock is still a step up from what I've got.

I am specifically after the new one with the adjustable stock. I'm a smaller guy so length of pull is always an issue for me.
    I really like having a short length of pull rifle especially when it is cold and I`m wearing a lot of layers. The rifle comes up to your shoulder quick and easy even when your in an awkward hunting position. I have one of the Weatherby Vanguard youth models with the adjustable LOP and it is nice but I think it is still is around 6.5 pounds? The new Savage lightweight looks nice for a reasonably priced lightweight rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by kc34 View Post
    I really like having a short length of pull rifle especially when it is cold and I`m wearing a lot of layers. The rifle comes up to your shoulder quick and easy even when your in an awkward hunting position. I have one of the Weatherby Vanguard youth models with the adjustable LOP and it is nice but I think it is still is around 6.5 pounds? The new Savage lightweight looks nice for a reasonably priced lightweight rifle.
    With a US MSRP of $749, that translates to about $960 CAD at the current exchange rate. I assume it'll be a bit higher than that, import isn't free and everyone needs to make their cut along the way, but they should still be the cheapest sub-6lb gun by around $200 +/-, and they are the only one that comes with an adjustable stock. The adjustable length of pull is nice, but I'm looking forward to checking out the adjustable comb height just as much. Just as standard stocks are a bit too long, they're generally a bit too low for me too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast