Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill c-71

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk223 View Post
    The CSSA only had a few points. The actual document has many changes with 100's of references I know nothing about. I'd like to understand everything that is actually changing.
    I read the whole thing and its just more of the same points that CSSA posted but with some detail. The Coles notes version is pretty much what CSSA sent out. Hence "More to come". there's no more expansion on it that I could see.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk223 View Post
    The CSSA only had a few points. The actual document has many changes with 100's of references I know nothing about. I'd like to understand everything that is actually changing.
    Hopefully this works here is a pdf of the bill
    http://www.parl.ca/Content/Bills/421...1_1/C-71_1.PDF

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TreMoR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eldarbo View Post
    i agree with you there, i really hope the NR transfer BS is dropped from this at least. .
    Sorry ..Quebec ask for this to enforced, the registry . unfortunately
    « When injustice becomes law, resistance is a duty » - « Quand l'injustice devient loi, la résistance est un devoir » by : Thomas Jefferson.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperShizno View Post
    This bill has just been introduced. What is the likelyness that this passes.

Also, and sorry for the newbie question, what's the difference between the cz 858 and the vz.58? Both seem the same to me but yet one is going to be prohibited and the other remains restricted.
    likelyness is about 100% that it will pass without amendment, despite the desperate need for about 30 amendments just to make the billy consistent and tidy enough to do what they intend it to do, notwithstanding the fact that we don't like what it will do.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckchap View Post
    The scary part....

The Registrar shall issue a reference number if he or she is satisfied that the transferee holds and is still eligible to hold a licence authorizing them to acquire and possess a non-restricted firearm.

so, now the fine folks at on the phone get to decide??
    And given the fact that license info is less than 20% of the info required to determine if a transfer should proceed, they should always refuse to issue the transfer notice.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    Courtesy of the CSSA

Bill C-71 has been introduced and the CSSA was there. Here is a quick run down of the provisions of this bill.

1. Background checks for criminal violence and any mental illness will be conducted over the life of the individual, not the previous five year period.

2. Both business and private sales of all firearms are subject to computerized license verification. Non-Restricted firearms transfers will not have the information regarding the firearm recorded.

3. Business are required to keep records which will include the individual's information and all information regarding the firearm(s) transferred. The business must keep the records for 20 years unless the business ceases to be a business. In that case all records must be surrendered to the authorities.

4. Authorizations to Transport have been gutted. The only permitted uses are to shooting ranges and Purchase-to-Home, but will still include "all ranges in province". All currently held ATTs will be revoked upon passage of Bill 71.

5. All of the Swiss Arms Classic series and all CZ-858s will be made 12(9) Prohibited. The owners of these rifles will be Grandfathered. Grandfathered individuals will be able to acquire other 12(9) firearms. Grandfathered owners will be permitted to transport these firearms to a range for the purposes of target shooting.

6. The powers of the Governing Council to declare any firearm to be Non-Restricted has been revoked. The Governing Council may still be used to declare any firearms to be restricted or prohibited.

7. UN Firearms Marking will be issued in a Technical amendment.

More to come - Stay tuned.
    Can someone explain 4, 6 and 7?

Does 4 mean I can’t go to my gunsmiths place of business anymore? Or I require an ATT to do so?

Does 6 mean that my shotgun and bolt gun can become restricted? What is the Governing Council?

Does 7 mean that any new AR I purchase will have special markings on them already? Or issued in a paper document?
    Last edited by Donster 125; 03-20-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarbo View Post
    probably how they are going to handle the absolutely insane number of calls they'll be receiving from the thousands and thousands on NON RESTRICTED transfers that will occur DAILY. details like that you know. That they either over looked, or intended fully to dissuade private ownership and sales of any firearms.
    Its the government. They dont have to handle $@$^. It just means you have to wait months to have it processed IF you can ever get them on the phone to initiate a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
    It's pretty plainly written that converted autos are prohib in Canada. The gun was made specifically for the Canadian market. Was not originally made with converted auto recievers. When they ran out of semi auto recievers they simply started converting auto recievers without looking into our laws. The entire issue with the CZ 858 family of firearms is their fault. Dealers should not have to peiodically dissasemble firearms to ensure some company didn't suddenly start to use converted auto recievers.
    Not CZ’s problem. They way their rules are written those receivers are not. It’s not their problem

A lot of people digging holes today

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeday View Post
    Not CZ’s problem. They way their rules are written those receivers are not. It’s not their problem
    I have trouble seeing how their rules apply to a product made for Canada.