Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill c-71

CGN Regular
    Would someone who really gets all the references etc post a cliff notes version?

It seems to me that they won't have serial numbers but they will certainly track the number of non-restricted firearms purchased and sold. When the RCMP come to your door and you have less than their records show your going to have some explaining to do.

Why does Quebec get access to every provinces data from the long gun registry? I can see that just opening the door for a warrant from any where in Canada to get the information.
    Member CSSA, Avid Reloader, Hobby Gunsmith

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    But no, it’s definitely not a back-door LGR eh?
    Hey look! the Libs managed to get a Registry afterall!
    Commercial sellers have to keep records for 20yrs?
    I sell a 30-06 bolt gun to my fellow PAL having neighbor? nope. call Us first so we can um, record it in our NOT LGR...

and learn me on this -
    why, if a rifle is about to be prohibited would I rush out and buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by hawk223 View Post
    Would someone who really gets all the references etc post a cliff notes version?

It seems to me that they won't have serial numbers but they will certainly track the number of non-restricted firearms purchased and sold. When the RCMP come to your door and you have less than their records show your going to have some explaining to do.

Why does Quebec get access to every provinces data from the long gun registry? I can see that just opening the door for a warrant from any where in Canada to get the information.
    Courtesy of the CSSA

Bill C-71 has been introduced and the CSSA was there. Here is a quick run down of the provisions of this bill.

1. Background checks for criminal violence and any mental illness will be conducted over the life of the individual, not the previous five year period.

2. Both business and private sales of all firearms are subject to computerized license verification. Non-Restricted firearms transfers will not have the information regarding the firearm recorded.

3. Business are required to keep records which will include the individual's information and all information regarding the firearm(s) transferred. The business must keep the records for 20 years unless the business ceases to be a business. In that case all records must be surrendered to the authorities.

4. Authorizations to Transport have been gutted. The only permitted uses are to shooting ranges and Purchase-to-Home, but will still include "all ranges in province". All currently held ATTs will be revoked upon passage of Bill 71.

5. All of the Swiss Arms Classic series and all CZ-858s will be made 12(9) Prohibited. The owners of these rifles will be Grandfathered. Grandfathered individuals will be able to acquire other 12(9) firearms. Grandfathered owners will be permitted to transport these firearms to a range for the purposes of target shooting.

6. The powers of the Governing Council to declare any firearm to be Non-Restricted has been revoked. The Governing Council may still be used to declare any firearms to be restricted or prohibited.

7. UN Firearms Marking will be issued in a Technical amendment.

More to come - Stay tuned.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by captainamazing View Post
    Any new laws on repeat violent offenders getting stiffer jail time? No? Didn't think so.

So will we ever address the cause of crime and the offenders or just continue sending thoughts and prayers to victims and step on throats of innocent citizens?
    and as long as I can leave the country, fight for the Taliban and then be welcomed back to Trubro's living room for tea and strumpets then i'm happy.

Here's my question.
    I read something earlier today that suggested owning these rifles when law passes could allow license for all prohibs??
    They wouldn't let that loophole exist would they?

Quote Originally Posted by meatball74 View Post
    why, if a rifle is about to be prohibited would I rush out and buy one?
    I personally won't. It would just sit in my safe for years. At least VZ-58s haven't been touched yet

This bill has just been introduced. What is the likelyness that this passes.

Also, and sorry for the newbie question, what's the difference between the cz 858 and the vz.58? Both seem the same to me but yet one is going to be prohibited and the other remains restricted.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    Courtesy of the CSSA

Bill C-71 has been introduced and the CSSA was there. Here is a quick run down of the provisions of this bill.

1. Background checks for criminal violence and any mental illness will be conducted over the life of the individual, not the previous five year period.

2. Both business and private sales of all firearms are subject to computerized license verification. Non-Restricted firearms transfers will not have the information regarding the firearm recorded.

3. Business are required to keep records which will include the individual's information and all information regarding the firearm(s) transferred. The business must keep the records for 20 years unless the business ceases to be a business. In that case all records must be surrendered to the authorities.

4. Authorizations to Transport have been gutted. The only permitted uses are to shooting ranges and Purchase-to-Home, but will still include "all ranges in province". All currently held ATTs will be revoked upon passage of Bill 71.

5. All of the Swiss Arms Classic series and all CZ-858s will be made 12(9) Prohibited. The owners of these rifles will be Grandfathered. Grandfathered individuals will be able to acquire other 12(9) firearms. Grandfathered owners will be permitted to transport these firearms to a range for the purposes of target shooting.

6. The powers of the Governing Council to declare any firearm to be Non-Restricted has been revoked. The Governing Council may still be used to declare any firearms to be restricted or prohibited.

7. UN Firearms Marking will be issued in a Technical amendment.

More to come - Stay tuned.
    Not detailed enough.
    Member CSSA, Avid Reloader, Hobby Gunsmith

pathetic.....I have a CZ858 that is a 2006 that was never prohibited in the first prohibition.....now my 2006 is prohibited as of this Bill.

Kodak better start making lots of new receivers. I always take me CZ on the deer hunt.

yes plz me to i want to get out of here asap