Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Toronto

Cool!!!

closest to me would be Al Flaherty's, 2 minutes up the street. I'll be definitely starting with them, then I'll probably visit BassPro or something. Really new to all this, so I'm kind of scared of walking into a store and getting suckered into buying a cheap rifle for allot of money. For now I've been relying on on-line reviews, and forums to inform myself. Elwood's seems to have allot, but it's 115km from me...

also have to find a range I can join...maybe target Canada, or Silverdale. Not much to pick from down here unless you want to drive for over an hour
    I'm hoping someone can point a newbie in the right direction....LOL But I have lot's of time, not expecting my PAL till around August. From what I've heard, it'll take up to 5 months.

BANNED
    Hello and welcome to the forums

Yeah it can be intimidating for sure, check out all the different stores price listings online for the make/models your interested in, that'll let you know the prices they go for on average, (usually plus or minus 50 bucks you'll usually see), then you will know what to expect for sure, I usually write down the make/model prices in different stores so I don't forget and makes it easier to compare, then just to handle the firearm I like going to Epps or a place like Als to get a feel for it, and get more honest conversations, if I have a question after all the research. To be honest evertime I go to a Cabelas or a Bass Pro the last 10 years it's been brutal for knowledge behind the counter, but they have good sales on occasion so it always draws me in again just to buy sale items. if I can i support the smaller stores I do. it all comes down to money though, you work hard for it, so make it go as far as you can, same exact thing goes for optics! Actually Bushnell has some good sales on now, 30% off I believe, you could get a decent scope while you wait for your PAL, worth researching up on.
    As for Ranges/clubs down south I have no idea, but there's lots of folks here that can steer you in the right direction,
    Main Rifle: 700 Mountain Rifle DM chambered in 260 Rem, Vortex Razor 2-10×40 HD LH, Timney 512 Trigger, Pillar and Glass bedded,

I actually think the easy part is going to be picking and buying...the hard part is waiting all spring/summer for the pal. I can go to the range and shoot as a visitor, but the packages are unusually allot more expensive. After a few times of that, I’d have a gun paid for.

Out of curiousity, would you prefer a 22Lr over a .223 for a starter rifle?

Yeah that would definately be difficult to wait, but may let you save a few extra dollars atleast,

Well they are 2 very different rounds, the 22 is great for plinking/target shooting, and taking out for grouse/rabbits, it is a great way to start and get into shooting, I started with one, and still have it / use it. It's quite cheap yet again compared to 223 ammo, for a brand new shooter it's a safe call to buy a 22, and get comfortable with it before going centerfire, that also gives you time to figure out wear you'd like to go from there for another caliber or firearm. The 22 may be your best bet to start with a clean slate. And learn the fundamentals thoroughly before going right to a centerfire rifle may save you cash in the long run!
    Main Rifle: 700 Mountain Rifle DM chambered in 260 Rem, Vortex Razor 2-10×40 HD LH, Timney 512 Trigger, Pillar and Glass bedded,

Welcome to the "G"!
    John 3:16. If not then unfortunately John 3:36
    Firearms owners are the difference between Tyranny & Freedom!!
    GUN CONTROL IS NOT CRIME CONTROL. ITS POPULATION CONTROL!
    Faith is not knowing what the future holds but knowing who holds the future

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12