Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: REPLACEMENT CZ 858 Receivers

REPLACEMENT CZ 858 Receivers

The question of the availability of more Kodiak Defence 858 receivers has been raised, currently we have none in stock. Right now we need Kodiak to concentrate on the WK180-C production so we are not planning to submit a PO any time soon. The Kodiak 858 receiver has a non restricted FRT and is not affected by Bill C 71 AT THIS TIME! The Kodiak receiver will accept all CZ 858 parts, the barrel is a press fit, correct head spacing has to be insured and the trigger parts do require fitting as a different retaining system is used, so this is not a DIY change out, at least not for most. All of this takes time which equals money. There is also a liability question if someone changes out their own parts as we have no control over the quality of the finished product. Ideally if we do this we would want customers to return their rifles to us for a rebuild. I have seen rifles that are simply not worth rebuilding, then we have our time processing, handling packaging and shipping. I think the final cost will be close to half the price of a new Kodiak rifle!

If we do a production run I do not think it will happen before next year. This leaves current CZ 858 owners a few options. Firstly you sell you CZ 858 now and purchase a new Kodiak Defence 858, prices start at $1,249.99 https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Products/firearms/rifles#?sortValue=0&MANUFACTURER=KODIAK%20DEFENSE
    Secondly if Bill C71 becomes law you can register your CZ 858 now and be Grandfathered in that class. You always have the option of rebuilding onto a Kodiak receiver at a later date and have both a Grandfathered registered CZ 858 receiver and a non restricted Kodiak 858 rifle.
    The third option if you do not want to register your CZ 858 is to cut the receiver on a chop saw or similar so the receiver is destroyed before the registration deadline, currently I understand this is June 2019 for non restricted rifles. (That is rifle with a barrel over 18.5 inches) You then have the option of rebuilding onto a new receiver at a later date.

Right now do not panic, take your time to make an informed decision.

We need to see a lot more interest than the odd enquirer we are currently getting before we commit to placing a PO to Kodiak for more 858 receivers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Errrmmm, the 3rd option is heresy. Sorry but if you're gonna chop a CZ858 receiver, even a totally beat up one, sell it instead. Even for real cheap you're gonna get something out of it, and I can assure you there's a buyer somewhere out there who'd like a cheap receiver just to be granfthered in.

Worst case, instead of chopping it, contact me and I'll pay for shipping to me.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    Errrmmm, the 3rd option is heresy. Sorry but if you're gonna chop a CZ858 receiver, even a totally beat up one, sell it instead. Even for real cheap you're gonna get something out of it, and I can assure you there's a buyer somewhere out there who'd like a cheap receiver just to be granfthered in.

Heck I'd take a receiver that someone is going to chop. Will even pay for it.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post

He's saying if you chop the receiver you are still legal with what's left to build on another legal receiver at some point. Basically turning the prohib rifle into a parts kit....
    CSSA / CCFR / CPC (almost to the point of walking away)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rick911's Avatar
    Imho there is a question concerning Wolverine's and CZ's liability for selling guns made of converted automatic receivers.

Oh boy i won't be popular here.

At least its been said.

Register the gun . Wait until they produce new receivers . Send
    gun in for receiver change. You get a non restricted gun back, plus
    your old receiver that allows you to be in the 858 class.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick911 View Post
    Imho there is a question concerning Wolverine's and CZ's liability for selling guns made of converted automatic receivers.

Oh boy i won't be popular here.

At least its been said.
    Liability of the RCMP officer who gave the FRT in the first place. Wolverine had the legal documents to sell the gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rick911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack2370 View Post
    Liability of the RCMP officer who gave the FRT in the first place. Wolverine had the legal documents to sell the gun.
    As i understand it, the firsts imports were not converted autos. The FRT approved guns did not have the problematic receivers.

Then CZ changed receivers on the next batches and it got through customs like that for years.

Converted automatic guns always have been prohibited.

No law change there. Only thing that changed ? The receiver.

Pretty easy to see its a converted auto, it has the automatic sear and its filled with welding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack2370 View Post
    Exactly. The RCMP classified the rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    I'll take an 80% one.
    CCFR/NFA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast