Thread: Buying from another province but I’m in Ont

Buying from another province but I’m in Ont

Hey there sorry if this has been asked before I am slightly confused about the whole transfer peocess of restricteds as it related to Ontario. I’m aware as of now you do not need range membership in Ontario but may need to show intent to join (on a waiting list). I am also confused by the ATT conditions for first time purchasers.

I plan an buying a used firearm (my first restricted) from a person, not a business, that is located in another province. I know they need to call to start the transfer and then I call with the reference number.

Do they call their provincial CFO and would they be aware of the whole “range membership in Ontario” thing?

Or do I deal with that when I call in? The Ontario CFO? Or their CFO?

And do I need to apply for ATT or would it be attached to mt RPAL? (This is first restricted)

Hoping someone from Ontario can weigh in here.

Thanks

Jon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Call the Ontario CFO, you can ask them these questions.

That being said, once the firearm is yours, call the CFO (On), and they'll issue you an ATT.

You always call your own CFO and they will liaise with any other party (CFO) as required.
    'nada

Ok thanks for the tips. I’m still learning hah

First step- the owner of the firearm will call the CFC to start the transfer, he should then call or text you with the reference number. You will then call the CFC and follow the prompts to " complete a transfer of a restricted weapon".
    Once they have your info they will transfer the firearm to you, you will receive a Transfer Notification ( ask them to email this to you) as will the seller. Once the seller receives this he is good to ship to you.
    A few weeks later you will receive the Registration for the firearm in the mail, and you will receive a new Rpal card with your new conditions attached ( because it's your first restricted) to it.
    You will receive the firearm before you receive the Registration certificate, some people will take their firearm to the range with only the transfer notification,,,some will wait for the Registration,,this is a grey area and you will get different opinions on this, but I always wait for the Registration. Congrats on the purchase, sucks that you are in Ontario,,,it will be a while before you see the Transfer Notification
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Hey thanks for the info. Yeah I heard it was very slow to get transfers in Ontario. So what I’m kind of asuming is it’s the buyers responsibility to inform/prover to their corresponding CFO the purpose of use.

Thanks

Jon

Yes, when you call in to do your part they will ask you all pertinent questions at the CFC, then transfer your request to have the privilege of owning a firearm on to the Ontario CFO for final approval, lol
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

I'm just getting started on this as well, so all of these basic questions provide great info!
    - Jay

Memento Mori