Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR2 09-10 June 2018 Debrief Here!

CGN frequent flyer
    I'm not trying to be a smart alek but whatever it takes to confirm your zero at each distance. I'm dialed in so its 2 shots per distance so I can do it in 12 shots max. If you aren't dialed in, it will be whatever it takes. Adjust for elevation only. If your windage is on at 100m leave it at all the other distances, otherwise you are chasing wind and wasting time and ammo and not zeroing anything. Your skill level is a factor.
    Again, not trying to be a smart alek.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremacanuck View Post
    What is the round count for Saturday's walk-back? I have too many things to get done before I leave, so I won't be loading any more, but want to make sure I have enough (or stay up really freaking late making more).

I haven't shot the walk back in I-don't-know-how-long.
    For many years I shot the PR Walkback at the DCRA NSCC the day before matches 60-68 started....

I would complete each distance mound (100 and 200 and 300 and 400 and so on...) with TWO shots only.....why waste ammo??

So at the last weekend’s walk back, I experienced people who had an inherent need to send a Shzt Load of bullets down range at say 100 meters.... Maybe I’m missing something or maybe I should have made myself more clear. Seems to me people were chasing sighters left and right even after they had established their waterline or elevation level.

I was trying to explain to these new shooters, usually Toronto shooters with expensive rifles and humongous ammo budgets, that every wind call will definitely be different for the Sunday match....for some silly reason they did not trust me and kept shooting more sighters at 200m even when the orange indicator was adjacent to the black patch....

I guess I was jealous of their rigs alongside my Factory M700 SPS Varmint and/or Varmint Synthetic back in the 90’s when I could not afford any custom barrel or too many rounds to practice with....

Anyways, if you are REALLY good and confident in your ammo and rifle, ONE shot will get the job done at each mound, but I digress!! There’s an indicator you got your Shzt together!

One more sleep and we hit the road tomorrow...

Who is up for Burrito dinner at Quesada Burrito, just a few doors down from Millbrook Tactical?? 1900 hours or 7PM!

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 06-07-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Anyone up for dinner at Kelsey's Friday evening around 19:00?

Thanks H the Duck and Barney. My intentions were to shoot 2 or 3 Sierra 69s I currently use and then 2 or 3 Hornady 68s, which are easier for me to source locally, and would like to use in the future. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be holding back the group by doing so.

See you Saturday morning. SG maken, the boy and I will be leaving home “duck hunting early” to arrive at the meeting point at a decent time.

Burrito yes

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    So at the last weekend’s walk back, I experienced people who had an inherent need to send a Shzt Load of bullets down range at say 100 meters.... Maybe I’m missing something or maybe I should have made myself more clear. Seems to me people were chasing sighters left and right even after they had established their waterline or elevation level.

I was trying to explain to these new shooters, usually Toronto shooters with expensive rifles and humongous ammo budgets, that every wind call will definitely be different for the Sunday match....for some silly reason they did not trust me and kept shooting more sighters at 200m even when the orange indicator was adjacent to the black patch....
    Further to what Barney has stated,,

There is a finite period of time available to get the walk back completed, so getting it done efficiently should be everyone's objective.

Sportsmanship is also a factor here, as the group is split into two groups with one in the butts and the other shooting the walk back. They then will change around so all get to shoot the walk back.
    If the first group of shooters lollygags, or pounds rounds after they get their zero, then they are eating into the time that rightly should be for the next group to shoot. So, plse be aware of this factor and be a good competitor.
    Likewise, when in the butts pay attention and give good service, get the target marked, patched and back up as quickly as possible.

The two most important zeroes to confirm on the walk back are the 200m (no sighters allowed in Match 60) and the 500m (1 x field expedient sighter only). The other matches at 300, 400, 600, 700 and 800 have two sighters before shooting for score.
    Don't forget to take a field expedient sighter or two at the 500m point after you have confirmed your actual 500m zero. Write down the delta drop you see, and this is what you will be looking for when you shoot this sighter in the actual match.

If someone shows up with an unzeroed scope, then just let the RSO know before the walk back starts. They will then assist with getting you zeroed in a timely manner.
    Last edited by Shelldrake; 06-08-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: grammar

I screwed up my airbnb ( LOL ... ) so I will have to drive straight to Pet in the morning.

IMHO, if time is the constraint, 100m is really to get shots on the target and it should be quick+dirty. I will then jump to 300m, 500m and 600m. The data points at the longer range are far more valuable than those at 200m. I can use 300, 500 and 600 data point to jingle with the velocity to test the come ups generated by the ballistic calculator.

Having a cool 200m and maybe 300m doesn't really give me much to work with for the longer range points. It doesn't do anything at all actually to test the come ups generated by the ballistic calculator, especially if the muzzle velocity is not exactly measured. The drop between 100, 200 and 300 are small, errors built in there have way more effect onlonger range come up extrapolation. Coming down from 300m to 200m is like 1 mil for a 308, even if I am off by 0.1 or even 0.2 mil it is not a completely life ending situation, but 0.2 mil at 600m is a lot more adding wind and other errors.

It is more accurate to interpolate points within a curve than extrapolating a curve using a little segment at the beginning. That is why I never like zeroing the crap out at short range and expecting miracle at the range beyond.
    Last edited by greentips; 06-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    It was super fun to receive good tips from Barney but also to meet the secret character who runs this place AND mess up his groupings not once but twice AND still posting on this forum. LOL

These all happened on Saturday. What more can I ask for ?

Business Member
    Home safely but I have a very busy morning and afternoon. All I can say is that I’m super grateful for all the things around me....

* I am thankful for a fantastic community of shooters who performed so well in the butts, not a complaint anywhere
    * I’m grateful for our dedicated sentry Heather, nothing will happen without her help
    * I’m grateful for club President Morgan ChalkRiver2 who makes all happen for this community
    * I’m grateful for our diverse community especially at Dannys Meat dinner for all the jokes and cameraderie...does not get better
    * I’m grateful for callsign22 for his suggestion to do a Kukri Draw, and Marie won this prize yahooooo!
    * I’m grateful for my Butts Offficers since without their expertise we would have a rolling Shzt Show in the match
    * I’m grateful for my shooters and their ever improving scores, I’m doing something right
    * I’m grateful for the supporting match directors I’m working with, Ryan-Mcle & Rickster66, our community is stronger for this input
    * I’m grateful for my mentors from Milcun dot com , Keith and Linda for inherently reminding me all of you better get off your butts and buy (and then study and practice) Lanny Bassham’s book “With Winning in Mind”
    * I’m grateful for my Francophone helpers assisting my Franglaise delivery and putting up with my attempts to practice my French conversation no matter how small, insignificant, and broken. I am a better person for all your help
    * I’m grateful for my Calis Garçons since they started last season they have been steadily improving their scores, gear, and shooting practice. Well done, fellows!
    * I’m grateful for Shelldrake and your help all around the scenes in my weekend because you always step up to elevate other shooters’ games
    * I’m grateful for for Rodney Maze for making his book, “Impact: Preparing for PRMatches” since I have a spring board or reference point for material delivery in my coaching practice. Your results are having an impact (pun intended). Now my clients can really progress their development

Okay I should be able to get your scores up this afternoon.

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 06-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.

I just want to thank all of the shooters this weekend for being such a great community and great role models for my young lad, Duncan. He returns home from these weekends tired, but happy and full of knowledge from his experiences. Much healthier than spending a weekend playing video games!

Cheers,

Scott

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast