Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desert Tech, 416 Barrett, MPOD... 5500yds goal

Supporting Dealer
    A new discussion post has been set up ...

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Supporting Dealer
    Name:  29793531_353622968465287_1920049213468013368_n.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  55.7 KB

Updated pic April 6, 18

Been asked a few times how elevation is going to be taken care of. Well, it will be with a TARAC. There is also an adjustable mount on the way to make the TARAC more flexible in adjustments. I have not seen this mount so look forward to more info and pics.

Team Light-Year is heading to Texas next weekend to reach out beyond 3000yds..... All the best and hit lots of gongs.

Jerry

At what point is it considered artillery ?

Lol. Just go that route. Very cool though , now I'm inadequate with my 1760 yard shooting

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf300H&H View Post
    At what point is it considered artillery ?

Lol. Just go that route. Very cool though , now I'm inadequate with my 1760 yard shooting
    That is what the ELR shooters are trying to prove. The game has evolved from just hitting a target at some super far distance with how ever many rds over how many attempts... to actually being able to make that shot on demand.

The tech has progressed a stunning amount over the last 3 yrs and they are just getting warmed up. Bullets and optics have been big obstacles to overcome but both areas are getting some really cool, albeit expensive, tech.

Once you have big high BC bullets that can consistently travel subsonic over large distances and stay within the desired accuracy needs, the software will be able to dial in the firing solution more consistently.

Once you have a firing solution, you need the optical system to let you adjust the massive amounts to get you on target. Being 1 or 2 clicks out over the course of 250MOA of adjustment and you are way off target.. So things have to be super precise and repeatable... and that takes some figuring out.

When the rifle and ammo system is figured out, it goes back to the point of LR shooting... WIND READING.

There will be locations where the winds vary so much, this becomes a game of luck. In others with flat terrains and some consistency of direction and intensity over large distances... ie Sasketchewan, it is actually not that hard to get a windage solution figured out.

1000yds used to be the dream of many LR shooters. Now, just about any factory rifle can plop bullets on a large pizza box at that distance without much fuss. In competition, shooters are putting shot after shot into a 5" circle at the K.

So, off they go to conquer another "impossible" task.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Precision View Post

1000yds used to be the dream of many LR shooters. Now, just about any factory rifle can plop bullets on a large pizza box at that distance without much fuss. In competition, shooters are putting shot after shot into a 5" circle at the K.
    This is so true. I have a few rifles that can achieve some long ranges easily and i don't even break out my 338 Lapua AI until it gets over 1000 yards and i have achieved 1890 with consecutive hits.

My 300wsm put rounds on target at 700 with ease and with some playing around i got to 1200 (i was using my hunting hand loaded 165 ttsx). This rifle is a briwning xbolt fluted barrel with a Nightforce SHV 4-14 scope with a tack rail but that's all.

I have even taken my 223 to 750 on steel and can hit dirt rats with ease under 300 yards. This one is pretty much custom though.

If you can achieve better than 1/2 moa with a rifle then there is no reason you cant hit a 1000 yard 1 moa target. (Given the caliber is also sufficient) and with practice you can do much better. The problem with custum guns is they shoot better than me so practice is key. My next goal is to break the 2000 yard barrier a far cry from 5500 but im slowly on my way.

Supporting Dealer
    Congrats on reaching out... 2000yds is alot of fun.

Have a great season.

Jerry

Ya. Copy that jerry.

Hey let me know if you need your feet rubbed while dialing in for wind , I'll make it happen. Lol. Prolly learn more with you in a weekend then I've learnt hmmm by myself in a while. Lol.

Kidding kinda. Lol. Good luck and keep us posted of course

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    I wonder if he's going to try the Cold Bore MOAB adjustable base on that rifle.

An Era Tac would be a good mount but is not the easiest to adjust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer armorman's Avatar
    If he's using a TARAC then he might not need an adjustable base. It will be close though.

5500 yards is quite a feat. Just maintaining a consistent aim point at that distance could prove to be a challenge.
    "Revalllllverzzzz"- Tuco Ramirez
    "Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid" - John Wayne

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by armorman View Post
    If he's using a TARAC then he might not need an adjustable base. It will be close though.

5500 yards is quite a feat. Just maintaining a consistent aim point at that distance could prove to be a challenge.
    With the MPOD, good rear bag, keeping the crosshair on a target is dead simple... set it up, and it will stay there. Unlike alot of folding bipods, the MPOD doesn't need shooter intervention to work. You can use it free recoil if desired. As stable as a pedestal rest.

Jerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123