Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 5969717273747576777879808182838485868789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign the Official Petition to scrap Bill C-71 / Signez cette pétition officielle!

latest response I received from local MP

Thank you for your many e-mails regarding the government’s proposed Bill C-71. It’s first important to note that this legislation is one piece of a larger effort to promote firearms safety while trying to strike a balance for the sake of law-abiding Canadian firearms owners.

We all appreciate that Canada is one of the safest countries in the world. However, we are still seeing an increase in gun crimes, which are taking too many lives from our communities. 2016 alone saw 223 firearms-related homicides in Canada, a 23 percent increase from the year before.

To combat this growing problem, we are providing $327 million over five years — and $100 million per year after that — in new funding for initiatives to reduce criminal gang activities and associated gun crimes. Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Ralph Goodale, also recently convened a National Summit on Guns and Gangs to hear from provinces and territories, municipalities, police, border officials, and community groups who are at the forefront of efforts to fight against violence, particularly domestic violence.

To complement this work, our government is proposing a series of measures intended to be a reasonable, practical, common-sense approach to firearms policy that will help make our communities less vulnerable to violence from firearms. We consulted widely before drafting Bill C-71, and as a result, we are putting forward a bill that will enhance public safety while maintaining a fair and manageable framework for firearms owners and businesses.

First, I want to be clear that this bill does not re-create a federal long-gun registry. We are not bringing it back, and we will never bring it back. What the bill does propose is to require firearms retailers to maintain a record of firearms sales, something that is already a common practice throughout the industry. The information would not be shared with the government, but would be accessible to law enforcement in cases where there are reasonable grounds to do so, and judicial authorization as required.

With respect to license validations, the proposed approach would require the buyer’s license to be verified at the time of sale for all firearms purchases. For private sales between individuals, the seller would simply be required to verify that the buyer’s license is valid, but would not be required to maintain any record following the transaction. No information about any non-restricted firearms being purchased is sought or recorded.

Importantly, we are also proposing to enhance background checks on those seeking to acquire firearms. Currently, only the previous five years may be taken into account when applying for a firearms license. We are proposing to take into account an individual’s full life history, including any history of mental illness associated with violence, or a history of violent offences. We are only proposing changes to the timeline taken into account, and are not otherwise changing the criteria or parameters that are considered.

Bill C-71 also proposes some changes to the cases in which an authorization to transport (ATT) will be required in order to transport restricted or prohibited firearms. Under our proposed rules, an ATT will not be required for transportation of these firearms between the owner’s residence and an approved shooting range, or between the retailer and the owner’s home directly following the purchase of a firearm. This accounts for over 90 percent of all travel with restricted and prohibited weapons. The process for acquiring an ATT will be simple, there will be no fee, and they will be available electronically. For firearms such as shotguns and hunting rifles, the rules will not change.

Lastly, the bill proposes to ensure the impartial, professional, accurate and consistent classification of firearms by restoring the system in which Parliament defines the classes of firearms and their parameters, and experts in the RCMP make the technical determination about the class into which a particular firearm falls. This will keep technical decisions on firearm classification free from political influence.
    I would appreciate your reaction to the above background information. Bill C 71 will now be closely reviewed by the all-party Standing Committee, so this is the best time to offer concerns and recommendations for changes. I will be forwarding all such input to Minister Goodale and to my colleagues on the Standing Committee.
    I appreciate your time in following up on this issue.

Sincerely,

Ken Hardie
    MP Fleetwood-Port Kells

Quote Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
    latest response I received from local MP
    That is a canned response. I created campaign 7 ( http://oneclearvoice.ca/campaign007.html ) as a response that refutes all of those talking points.

Yep canned response. Most of it was word for word as I got from my mp.

Signatures (63455)

Province / Territory / Signatures

Ontario: 18468
    Alberta: 15664
    British Columbia: 11204

Quebec: 6825
    Saskatchewan: 3552
    New Brunswick: 2543
    Manitoba: 2432
    Nova Scotia: 1445
    Newfoundland and Labrador: 686
    Yukon: 219
    Prince Edward Island:182
    Northwest Territories: 140
    Nunavut: 37

Other Countries: 58
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

Well, somebody's at it again.

Petition site's down; first noticed at 5:10pm PST.

It might be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    It is back up now, but sketchy at best: took 5 min to get there.

I was going to post the count, but GreenBob beat me to it.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    It is back up now, but sketchy at best: took 5 min to get there.

I was going to post the count, but GreenBob beat me to it.
    Yeah. It was down for at least 20 -- and more likely -- 25 minutes.

Does the Parliament Petitions site have a long history of frequent service interruptions?

I'm genuinely curious because if yes then no big deal. Other than maybe be better?

If no, then this is kinda third world thuggery.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Legio Veritas View Post
    Yeah. It was down for at least 20 -- and more likely -- 25 minutes.

Does the Parliament Petitions site have a long history of frequent service interruptions?

I'm genuinely curious because if yes then no big deal. Other than maybe be better?

If no, then this is kinda third world thuggery.
    I doubt it has ever been scrutinized as closely as we are. If that site is comparable to other .gov IT projects i am surprised it works at all.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

I noticed it was down as well... only about 5 minutes but i could have been at the end of the "shutdown/crash/etc"

____

Not sure if you guys seen this yet or not;

Liberals May Back Down on C-71 If Strong Outcry, MP Zimmer Says

TheGunBlog.ca — The Canadian government may back down from its proposed law to ban more guns and further restrict lawful hunters and sport shooters if enough people voice their disapproval, said Bob Zimmer, an opposition member of parliament.

Some political analysts say the Liberal-led government can easily pass Bill C-71 into law because it controls a majority of the House of Commons and has wide support in the Senate.

But parliamentary committees can request amendments, and the Liberals have scaled back or dropped plans after a strong outcry or lack of support, Zimmer said. Glen Motz, an opposition MP who sits on one of the committees, has said he will propose changes that reflect people’s concerns.

Gun owners should contact Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale’s constituency office and local MPs with one-paragraph e-mails and short phone calls to record their opposition, the Conservative MP said. (See full Q&A with details below.)

“It’s not a done deal. Be focused on it,” Zimmer told TheGunBlog.ca in a telephone interview on April 4. “This government has backed down before. I’m optimistic that they’ll pull back again.”

See TheGunBlog.ca’s dedicated page on Bill C-71 to see how the bill harasses gun owners and how you can help stop it.
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

This was suggested by Bob Zimmer. Rod Giltaca suggested we each do it once a week. The goal being to flood his office with 1000 calls a day. Just a short call opposing the bill. He backed down on the UN marking (punted it down the road yet again) and the Liberals backed down on their tax change. It can be done.