Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout Brass

CGN Regular

300 Blackout Brass

** Update 13 November 2018 **

Another batch has been posted. 15,000 pieces of 99% Remington .223 headstamp.

** Update 04 August 2018 **

300 BLK is now posted in the EE

** Updated 27 July 2018 **

This will be the final update before everything goes into production. Optical HS sorter is a bust. So it will be of mixed HS, for now... All HS are ones that convert correctly to correct neck thickness. You will need to deburr and chamfer the or run an expander ball through the neck. This is because north of 2,000 pieces per hour anything I tried to do with neck tension started changing other dimensions significantly.

Trim length Average: 1.354" +/- 0.002"
    Headspace Average (SAAMI): -0.003" +/- 0.002"
    Average neck thickness (after deburr and chamfer): 0.0113"
    Internal neck tension (after deburr and chamfer): 0.302"
    The end user should deburr and chamfer the brass prior to loading, or you could use a Lyman M-die and crimp it

It has been a slow process, I know. However commercial loaders are my bread and butter, and they have been consuming all of my .223 / 5.56mm equipment time. I now have a bit of a break where I can get these small projects sorted out.

** Updated April 22**

The first pre-production batch is going out to testers on Monday. Once it is verified, then I will be releasing brass en-masse.

I ran into two issues that will increase the price slightly from where I had hoped. But really, we are talking like $5 per 1,000 increase at this point. Current pricing is looking like:

$90 per 500
    $165 per 1,000
    $160 per 1,000 for large quantities

One - I can't run as fast as I had planned. I was running around 2,500 pieces per hour, but shattered a carbide insert and destroyed a boring bar - so the actual cost of that plus the speed reduction to 1,500 parts per hour for the feed rate to reduce the thickness of the swarving to allow it to break apart for vacuum extraction.

Two - Optical sorter for brass headstamp is slower than advertised. Actually operates at 1/2 of speed advertised to achieve the level of precision I demand. I aim for 99% headstamp accuracy, and if I run it any faster, then that accuracy starts to drop off quickly.

I haven't run a complete statistical analysis yet on the production setup, however, these are the pertinent details:

OAL Length 1.360" +/-0.002" (98%)
    Headspace SAAMI (-)0.003 +/- 0.001"
    Neck Thickness Range 0.0105 - 0.0115"

Name:  20180421_204147.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  137.5 KB

I will be spooling up production on converting brass from .223/5.56mm to 300 Blackout. I am hoping to have the optical sorter functioning. We shall see. I haven't set a price point as yet, it should be significantly more economical then what is available currently. I am waiting to see production rate and how quickly I burn up end mills. I usually get 150,000 pieces of .223 per end mill, they are expensive, so I do have to factor that in.

Will be available in 500's / 1,000's

Brass will be:

Camdex Processed
    Formed
    Trimmed to length
    Cleaned
    Last edited by BlackSheepBrass; 11-13-2018 at 06:04 PM.

interested in 500's, when you will figure out the price?

CGN Regular
    Will they be neck turned?

I like this, always wanted to try blackout.

CGN Regular
    They will not be neck turned. They will be made from brass with the correct neck thickness.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    I may be interested in 500.
    CSSA Member

Id be interested in 1000 if the price beats current market

following

CGN Regular
    I broke a couple of fingers earlier this week. Sometimes I play stupid games, so I win stupid prizes. It has set me back a week or so. Just can't really use my left hand for a couple of weeks. The guys in the shop are helping out huge, I just can't cut them loose on 300 BLK yet.

Ouch, that bites.....get better fast!
    ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast