Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought the new gun bill was our greatest threat.......

Quote Originally Posted by drift1122 View Post
    I don't think its a terrible idea to use non lead projectiles.
    probably triple the cost of lead ammo. What do u think of your idea now?
    GUNS spelled backwards is SNUG coincidence--- not,, cause I feel safe and snug when I am with my guns![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will be nicer when you get smarter.....
    we can fix broken but stupid is forever.

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjoe View Post
    I shoot trap competitively: Just move that decimal place two spots to the right, and it might approximate how much I shoot each year. That doesn't include the heavy 500gr BPCR bullets I also cast.
    As soon as lead is banned, half or more of the different sport shooting disciplines will wither and die.
    You echo my thoughts on the numbers.
    Long Colt: 28 shots per pound of lead. 45/70: 14 shots per pound.
    I usually load these in batches of one or two hundred and shoot them about as fast as I load.

Shall we push for tungsten wheel weights on cars? Thrown balance weights must increase the lead content of every road margin in the country.

The city tested lead content of the soil at the yellow knife shooting range,when I live there years ago,the levels of lead were high, but as the inspectors went away from the range and towards the highway the lead levels got much higher. This was because of contamination from automobiles in that are spewing lead near the highway. The area had been excavated by the city for sand,to use in various projects all over town, this ended up indicating that the city had spread lead contaminated sand throughout the municipality and had no idea where it was. Of course they dropped their argument pretty quick and left us alone,this is just bull####

Quote Originally Posted by Trimmer 905 View Post
    First,they banned lead shot for waterfowl. Now,there's a concerted effort to ban lead sinkers and lures for fishing. Why are we surprised there's rumblings to ban all forms of lead ammo for rifles and big game hunting? It's the natural progression of the nanny staters.
    Lead shot and fishing weights kill waterfowl.

Here's just one example, an excerpt from the New York State department of the environment.

The common loon, charismatic symbol of our northern lakes, faces a variety of threats linked to human activity. Among them is lead poisoning from the ingestion of lead fishing weights. Since 1987 nearly half of the adult loons found dead or moribund on New England freshwater lakes submitted to the Tufts University Wildlife Clinic have been diagnosed with lead poisoning. In New York, lead poisoning has accounted for about 30% of loon mortality documented, excluding mass mortalities from type E botulism on Lake Erie in recent years.
    Weller soldering gun
    Hot glue gun
    Powershot forward action staple and nail gun
    Super Soaker

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 577/450 View Post
    probably triple the cost of lead ammo. What do u think of your idea now?
    Still cheaper than paying for a handicapped child, so still a good idea while hunting, indoors, or shooting on uncontrolled land.

Anyone who doubts the harmful effects of lead exposure, particularly in children, needs to do some reading and improve their education. While I don’t think a full ban on lead ammo is called for I don’t see the harm in trying to reduce its use. If the industry and community can do so voluntarily it will look better on us.

On approved ranges with proper controls and remediation plans, and with adequate filtration and ventilation if indoors, lead poses minimal risk. Harvesting game and firing into uncontrolled land with lead is irresponsible when in many cases alternatives are available. So the cost to get a deer just went from $1.50 to $4.50; by no means a deal breaker and as demand and supply increase for non-toxic the price will drop.

Casting also poses minimal risk when proper precautions are taken but I’ve seen several set-ups without. You don’t need a P3 Lab, but doing so in a non-vented basement or garage is not the smartest choice.

At the end of the day it comes down to responsible use. I fully intend to teach my children how to shoot and hunt when they’re old enough. I also intend to teach them environmental responsibility and the risks involved with the materials we use. I think the change away from lead for hunting is long overdue; after all, shotgun hunting without lead seems to be working just fine and there was a crowd that resisted that as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    I feel like a lot of the people saying lead bullets shouldn't be used for hunting, especially medium game hunting such as deer don't hunt much,

First of all, in modern hunting bullets they key factor is penetration and expansion as well as bullet retention, which is why bonded lead bullets are now very popular.
    The problem with the lead free bullets is typically over or under expansion, solid copper expanding projectiles are typically meant for large and heavy skinned game, making them less ethical for smaller and medium sized game.
    New technology in lead core and bonded bullets is terrific, giving you and ample amount of options to suit your specific needs.
    And also I don't know of any lead free hunting bullet that offers me the same ballistic coefficient.
    And Lastly and most importantly if you have a proper shot placement you should rarely ever be ingesting any lead from your harvested game, I don't know anyone who uses the bullet shocked meat around the entrance or exit wound of the animal, and typically where you kill zone is your not usually using that section as is.

I however can not say the same for game birds harvested with lead shot, I've done my fair share of biting down on piece of lead shot.

I don't see lead bullets going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Craig0ry; 04-06-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Quote Originally Posted by drift1122 View Post
    I don't think its a terrible idea to use non lead projectiles.
    will be extremely cost prohibitive. No more cheapo 22 LR.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    I don't see how this thread has gone 11 pages, It was written by a college undergrad who more than likely has no real understanding on the matter. His Story has no traction and I for one and not worried by it.
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReal_Vader View Post
    Steel core still contains lead, plus steel core is banned at most ranges. Why ban guns when you can ban the sale of ammunition?

Same as with C-71. Why confiscate guns when you can force people to register them, prohibit their use, and ensure their destruction when the owner dies? The liberals are playing the long game here, this is a big deal.
    Well if they prohibit lead ammunition, the result will be predictable. Same as every other prohibition. There will be a run on supplies before the bill comes into force, followed by shortages. Smuggling and black market trade amongst formerly law abiding people will become rampant. Criminal enterprises will be formed to meet demand. Quality of ammunition will go down. Prices will go up. What little traceability and regulatory oversight there was will be lost. Prohibition will eventually be repealed in favour of a more balanced solution, but not only after buckets of money have been wasted, and honest people were put in jail and had their lives ruined.

#sameasalways

Quote Originally Posted by ROBPECKFORD View Post
    I wonder how that would affect reloaders... if you made your own ammo... they can't regulate it really... theres no laws on projectiles yet. clubs could all out ban lead tho....
    Depends. This is just a study, not a law. Any proposed law could easily include a ban on reloading, or it could include a ban on reloading only with lead components, and most certainly would include a ban on casting. Or it could simply involve adding such an onerous level of regulatory compliance necessary to cast or reload legally that they squeeze most people out of it.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

This is just to close to April fools. Lol can you say non compliance Gov can always grandfather us lead farmers Sounds to much like this bullet control. This college student should fail for plagerism.

Chris rock bullet control.https://youtu.be/VZrFVtmRXrw

Thanks for the 11 pages of reading and some good laughs.