Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought the new gun bill was our greatest threat.......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by guninhand View Post
    Given the centuries of use of lead projectiles in Canada, not to mention military bases, there must be a mountain of evidence to support the basis of your statement. Care to inform us?
    We used asbestos for decades. Does that mean its safe?

Quote Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
    They're well on their way with this agenda in NS, a few sick and/or dying eagles over the last few years due to lead poisoning and suddenly it's because of gut piles after deer season. The wildlife rehab vet here has been running quite the campaign and even has our Federation of anglers and hunters on board with non lead hunting ammo.
    They are right about the problem, they are wrong about the source. A gut pile contains very little if any lead, depending on shot placement. Even if it was whole contaminated a gut pile is unlikely to be shared among more than a few animals.
    Shot gun ranges compromising of 40-100 hectares of land heavily contaminated with lead that has been accumulating for a century, which is trafficked upon and a source of food for hundreds of species that migrate is the more likely source.

Hunting accounts for probably less than 1%, probably 0.1% of all ammunition fired. I would suspect that lead used in hunting really only posses an immediate risk to the hunter and his family. Any ban on lead for hunting might be worth discussion, but that discussion should recognize that the effect of any ban on hunting will be negligible.

Shooting ranges ARE the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertebrae View Post
    Bye bye cheap ammo.

Can we just have laser guns instead? Or would they complain about light pollution then?
    We have a right to own firearms. We have a right to defend our life. We do not have a right to pollute the environment with toxic substances.

Managing lead in the environment is not difficult, but it does carry some cost. Very few outdoor ranges have been doing a good job of mitigating the risks of accumulated lead. Either we start picking up our own trash, or something far less informed and interested in civilian firearms ownership will legislate a solution for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome75 View Post
    I will switch to lead free ammo when the alternative costs the same or less AND works as well.

For shotguns, its has to cost the same or less, works as well AND work in fixed full choke barrels

Till then I am using lead so get working on an alternative.
    Well this is pretty ignorant. With this attitude you are giving the government every excuse to ban lead outright in order to compel you, and industry, to get on board with lead free alternatives.

As a staunch libertarian, I dont care what you shoot as long as you pay the full costs of your activities. Shoot lead. Fine. Then go pick it up. If we had to pay the full costs of the ammunition life cycle, very quickly you would get on board with the convenience of using a non toxic ammo that you can just walk away from.

Quote Originally Posted by cody c View Post
    Let me do some math out loud:

They think approximately 2 million people hunt or use guns in a year in Canada, and 5100 tonnes is 11,243,600 pounds:

Works out to an average of 5.6218 pounds of lead (not copper lead and or brass, just lead) per person per year, I certainly don't shoot close to that.

I know there are a few who put a lot of lead downrange as active shooters, but I think it's pretty safe to call that statistic skewed, unless I've missed something with that math, if so please let me know.
    I put down more than double that much every time I got to the range, which is at least weekly. Like most industries, the top 10% of users are probably consuming more than 90% of the goods.

The cost of range memberships wouldn't need to go up very much in order to cover the costs of properly managing lead on shooting ranges.

I just emailed the environment minister to tell them that the government should be subsidizing and funding shooting ranges to modernize lead management practices. If they can give 100 million to ontario for green energy retrofit programs, they can give money to ranges to help manage lead. I also told them that they need to be promoting the use of shooting ranges through range membership subsidies and tax breaks, were lead can be contained and managed.

Large municipalities like Toronto and Vancouver have an ignorant attitude about shooting ranges and an association to gun crime. Closing shooting ranges in major centres just contributes to greater commuter pollution and the use of public lands for sport shooting where lead will never be managed and remediated effectively. If we don't take ownership of this problem a solution will legislated that will make no one happy.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I wouldn't mind transitioning to copper if they grandfathered existing ammunition in our possession and just quit selling lead-based products from a certain date forward.
    I would guess that there is more than 30 years worth of domestic ammunition supply squirreled away. A ban on lead today would not have a meaningful impact on lead deposition into the ground for decades. A much more sustainable solution is actually manage the lead on shooting ranges properly.

Simply banning it is just as stupid as any of the other proposed bans on things.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I wonder how economical banning lead could be?

Lead is currently used due to cost and high density, but we've all seen how non-lead projectiles can be used just as effectively (Barnes tsx, bismuth shot, ect)...

Currently lead free ammo is expensive because they don't make it in huge quantities. If a lead ban happened in the USA and Canada (it wouldnt do anything on the grand scale if we ban but they don't) I wonder how much prices for lead free ammo would fall? If all ammo production switched to lead free, it would certainly bring costs down, I wonder by how much though...

I'm not against the idea of banning lead, if executed properly, but it wouldn't make any sense if we banned it but the USA didn't...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Spot lead is at 1.08 USD per Pound
    Spot Copper is 3.07 USD per Pound

I wonder how much lead most skeet ranges have laying around on their property. On average every 16 rounds fired would equal 1 pound of lead fired down range. When you consider that a lot of shooters will shoot 4 rounds or more in a daily skeet session that is 100 rounds. That is as much as 6 pounds of lead per shooter per day and those are conservative estimates. On sporting clay tournament days or 5 stand tournament days each shooter could easily shoot a case of ammo when you consider their practice rounds as well as the competition.

Imagine how much lead is on these properties after years of shooting considering that one round of skeet can put 6 pounds of lead down range.

I enjoy shooting lead target ammo and I hunt with barnes lead free for big game as well as steel for and waterfowl or small game I intend to eat.

Just because I enjoy shooting lead does not mean that I am not open to considering measures to mitigate the amount of lead found at shooting facilities and ranges.

When waterfowl regulations first changed there was a bit of concern but folks quickly came to accept the changes.

Consider that the military and law enforcement have stockpiles of lead ammunition and shoot a very large quantity of rounds down range each year. A lead free legislation would hunt the government far worse then any recreational shooter or hunter. I think for this reason we will not see a ban of lead ammunition for target shooting but may infact see the standards of how ranges deal with lead accumulation change.

http://publications.gc.ca/collection...7-2018-eng.pdf

Pretty sure Military will me exempt from this

They think approximately 2 million people hunt or use guns in a year in Canada, and 5100 tonnes is 11,243,600 pounds:

Works out to an average of 5.6218 pounds of lead (not copper lead and or brass, just lead) per person per year, I certainly don't shoot close to that.

I know there are a few who put a lot of lead downrange as active shooters, but I think it's pretty safe to call that statistic skewed, unless I've missed something with that math, if so please let me know.
    5.6lbs of bullets is only 262 150gr bullets, or 712 55gr bullets, or 980 40gr bullets. I don't shoot that much in a single trip generally, but I shoot way more than that over a year. Less than 1000rds of 22lr isn't a lot of shooting if you've got a semi rifle or handgun...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

I shoot a LOT more than that. 5.6 pounds of lead is only 39,200grn, so about 316 rounds of 124grn 9mm. I buy my bullets by the 5000. I also shoot other calibres. Last CanPar shipment to my place weighted about 40 pounds and that was mostly bullets.

I don't believe the copper jacket or plating makes much of a difference in the total weight.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    California stupidity.What about all the old lever actions and antiques using cast? The snow geese have sure benefited to millions in number destroying their habitat. What will .22 rimfires shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    California stupidity.What about all the old lever actions and antiques using cast? The snow geese have sure benefited to millions in number destroying their habitat. What will .22 rimfires shoot?
    From what I can see, they are not trying to ban lead. They are trying to create a dialog about voluntarily switching to lead free alternatives. At least that's how I read the OP.

How to be involved
    To start a conversation, we would like your ideas and input into designing an approach that encourages the use of lead-free ammunition including:
    how to spread the message to encourage lead-free hunting and shooting
    what actions could be implemented to increase accessibility of non-lead products
    what practices could be implemented to mitigate resulting risks in Canada
    how we could engage and build upon existing initiatives
    what additional information we should consider