Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 356789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought the new gun bill was our greatest threat.......

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig0ry View Post
    And Lastly and most importantly if you have a proper shot placement you should rarely ever be ingesting any lead from your harvested game, I don't know anyone who uses the bullet shocked meat around the entrance or exit wound of the animal, and typically where you kill zone is your not usually using that section as is.
    I thought the same, then did some research. Apparently a significant fraction of big-game meat shows some degree of lead contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by TT1900 View Post
    I'm not advocating lead contamination is the sole or even largest environmental source. It is however one we can easily control, so why should we not?
    Because banning lead ammo would kill target shooting sports, which by numbers is at least as large as the hunting community, and definitely spends more on ammo.

Spending 4 dollars more to shoot a deer is trivial. Spending $3000 for a case of ammo is not.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer easysauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drift1122 View Post
    I don't think its a terrible idea to use non lead projectiles.
    Much like a van isn't a terrible choice for mobility, I would still rather drive a truck, even if the mileage is slightly worse, and forcing me to drive a van is still using force to elicit the desired action.

For hunting, I would for sure not mind paying the extra $$$ for a few lead free rounds.

For the range?

These people are complaining that a massive infill of land that is constantly having the lead recovered for re use is damaging to this extent are spreading misinformation on purpose to generate outrage to get ranges closed, and ammo made prohibitively expensive.

No one "needs" more then 50 rounds anyways... why do you even have a semi auto... /s
    Last edited by easysauce; 04-06-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    No drop of water blames itself for the flood

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalt View Post
    Pretty sure wild meat with a little bit of lead in it is still going to be healthier for your children than horribly gmo'd meat or vegetables that's unregulated and unlabeled...just make living illegal already
    GMO foods are fine, where are you getting your ideas from?

Lead is proven to be very bad for humans.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    I'm not advocating to ban lead but I feel alternatives can be manufactured at a reasonable price for future shooters if we start research now and try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by easysauce View Post
    Much like a van isn't a terrible choice for mobility, I would still rather drive a truck, even if the mileage is slightly worse, and forcing me to drive a van is still using force to elicit the desired action.

For hunting, I would for sure not mind paying the extra $$$ for a few lead free rounds.

For the range?

These people are complaining that a massive infill of land that is constantly having the lead recovered for re use is damaging to this extent are spreading misinformation on purpose to generate outrage to get ranges closed, and ammo made prohibitively expensive.

No one "needs" more then 50 rounds anyways... why do you even have a semi auto... /s
    CCFR/NFA

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by IBM View Post
    Because banning lead ammo would kill target shooting sports, which by numbers is at least as large as the hunting community, and definitely spends more on ammo.

Spending 4 dollars more to shoot a deer is trivial. Spending $3000 for a case of ammo is not.
    Banning lead ammo wasn’t my proposal, nor do I think it is required. Restricting lead ammo use to designated ranges where it can be cleaned up was; not an issue for target shooters as they are already on approved ranges. Talk to management at any indoor range, clays range, or serious rifle range; they all have remediation plans. The pistol ranges and clays courses I frequent take the issue quite seriously. The problem is shooting lead at locations where it will never be cleaned up; hunting, varminting, gravel pit plinking, etc. If we fix it ourselves others won’t need to get involved.

so this is leading up to the announcement that Trudeau is going to give us shooters a subsidy when we buy non-lead ammo, right?
    CSSA and now - on Trudeau's recommendation - CCFR

How many tonnes of oil and gas is spilled per year because of inadaquate transport/transfer via train transfers, boat/ship transfers, pipeline transfers? All for government benefit. Not to mention all the morons doing oil changes over storm drains, using floor dry on oil in industry anr putting it in the land fill and....government...Well, it all comes from the ground so F$%! It. Just put it back into the ground and stop bitching. Except the government. That is an actual man made product. What are we doing to control that?

Quote Originally Posted by TT1900 View Post
    Still cheaper than paying for a handicapped child, so still a good idea while hunting, indoors, or shooting on uncontrolled land.

Anyone who doubts the harmful effects of lead exposure, particularly in children, needs to do some reading and improve their education. While I don’t think a full ban on lead ammo is called for I don’t see the harm in trying to reduce its use. If the industry and community can do so voluntarily it will look better on us.

On approved ranges with proper controls and remediation plans, and with adequate filtration and ventilation if indoors, lead poses minimal risk. Harvesting game and firing into uncontrolled land with lead is irresponsible when in many cases alternatives are available. So the cost to get a deer just went from $1.50 to $4.50; by no means a deal breaker and as demand and supply increase for non-toxic the price will drop.

Casting also poses minimal risk when proper precautions are taken but I’ve seen several set-ups without. You don’t need a P3 Lab, but doing so in a non-vented basement or garage is not the smartest choice.

At the end of the day it comes down to responsible use. I fully intend to teach my children how to shoot and hunt when they’re old enough. I also intend to teach them environmental responsibility and the risks involved with the materials we use. I think the change away from lead for hunting is long overdue; after all, shotgun hunting without lead seems to be working just fine and there was a crowd that resisted that as well.
    I was, for a good portion of my life a plumber, and I'm old and I'm fine, I call bull####. Go shoot at a big oak tree in the forest with steel shot and see what happens, I hope yore wearing eye protection, upland game and waterfowl hunting are two different things. You obviously know little or nothing about hunting if you believe all shotgun hunting is done with non toxic shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbf123 View Post
    I thought the same, then did some research. Apparently a significant fraction of big-game meat shows some degree of lead contamination.

Who did that study? PETA?