Page 1 of 15 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought the new gun bill was our greatest threat.......

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar

Just when you thought the new gun bill was our greatest threat.......

While I am a big fan of Barnes Copper Bullets, this would be devastating to the sport.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...mmunition.html

Moving towards using more lead-free ammunition
    Each year approximately 375 million cartridges are imported into Canada for recreational shooting, hunting and enforcement activities. This ammunition releases about 5,200 tonnes of lead into the environment annually. It is the single most significant source of lead releases onto the land in Canada.

Lead is a highly toxic metal. It can cause detrimental effects to the nervous and reproductive systems of humans and wildlife, sometimes leading to death. Other problems include:

game meat containing lead ammunition fragments and consumed by children could have an impact on their intelligence and development
    use of lead ammunition at outdoor shooting ranges can contaminate the surrounding soil and ground water
    scavengers and predators such as eagles can be poisoned by ingesting spent lead ammunition and related fragments, or by consuming wounded or dead prey containing lead fragments
    Alternatives to lead
    There is lead-free ammunition available in the Canadian market. Made from materials such as copper or copper-zinc alloy, steel, tungsten or bismuth, it is as effective if not better than lead.

The advantages of lead-free ammunition are:

it does not contaminate soil or water
    it does not fragment or contaminate game meat that is eventually consumed by Canadians or by scavenging animals
    compared to overall hunting or sport shooting expenditures, munition costs is minimal
    Waterfowl hunters have been using non-lead shot since the early 1990s. However, recreational shooting and other game hunting remain a significant cause of lead releases. Protect your family and wildlife by choosing and promoting the use of these alternatives. If lead-free ammunition is not available at your sporting goods store, ask them to carry it.

How to be involved
    To start a conversation, we would like your ideas and input into designing an approach that encourages the use of lead-free ammunition including:
    how to spread the message to encourage lead-free hunting and shooting
    what actions could be implemented to increase accessibility of non-lead products
    what practices could be implemented to mitigate resulting risks in Canada
    how we could engage and build upon existing initiatives
    what additional information we should consider

This study, along with feedback received, will inform the development of an approach for encouraging lead-free ammunition in Canada. We welcome you to be part of this and future conversations on this subject. The easiest way to engage is by sending us your comments by email to ec.produits-products.ec@canada.ca by June 1, 2018.

Yet more debunking needed *sigh* they just never quit with the
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Ultra frequent flyer merlin1's Avatar
    I like lead....good for my barrel rifling......

CGN Regular
    This was a mass email sent out to the majority of gun clubs, ranges and firearms business in Canada.
    The world is changed by your example, not your opinion

What actions can be taken??? Here's one start handing out lead free ammo il be down for a few thousand rounds

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    I don't think its a terrible idea to use non lead projectiles.
    CCFR/NFA

BANNED
    Anyone not surprised by this is not trying paying attention, this has been a long time in coming.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer squidxm's Avatar
    ####.

CGN Regular
    The industry would look good if it switched voluntarily. Im all for reducing lead. I don't want lead in my wild meat. I understand that can be viewed as another veiled attack on shooting sports/hunting though.

Got to hand it to them, they are devious. How expensive is the alternative?

Page 1 of 15 12345678911 ... LastLast