Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter Update April 5th 2018

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Can we get them raw without anodizing? Can you just paint them all with cerakote instead of anodizing? What would the price increase be, if any? I don’t know what the cost difference is between cerakote and anodizing is.
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-thread/page34

Read post #340, Rick pops into the BCL thread to inform us on the advantages of anodizing regardless if you are going to blast it off and cerakote overtop again. Anodizing actually alters the surface of the aluminum to be harderand as such less prone to wear.

Due to Ricks perfectionist nature (not a bad thing!) I suspect he wont be letting any un-anodized units leave the shop.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Can we get them raw without anodizing? Can you just paint them all with cerakote instead of anodizing? What would the price increase be, if any? I don’t know what the cost difference is between cerakote and anodizing is.
    We have no plan to release any product that is not finished. Anodizing is done to add surface hardness (durability) to keep the wear to a minimum.
    Why anyone would want to have raw aluminum that is not hardened to help mitigate wear eludes me. CeraKote is a great way to have a different color but imparts little to no wear resistance in the areas where the bolt travels.
    We can Cerakote any color you wish, over the anodizing at slight additional cost.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN frequent flyer
    Thanks! Learn something new everyday. I’ll just cerakote it after the anodizing gets beat up.

Also, if I have a 11.5” 22LR AR Barrel it would be NR as long as I’m over the 26” OAL, correct? Seems like a pricey option but always wanted an AR for gophers, as close as I can get with this receiver set.

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post

Read post #340, Rick pops into the BCL thread to inform us on the advantages of anodizing regardless if you are going to blast it off and cerakote overtop again. Anodizing actually alters the surface of the aluminum to be harderand as such less prone to wear.

Due to Ricks perfectionist nature (not a bad thing!) I suspect he wont be letting any un-anodized units leave the shop.
    Thanks for the knowledge Rick, I’ll keep that in mind about the paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    We have no plan to release any product that is not finished. Anodizing is done to add surface hardness (durability) to keep the wear to a minimum.
    Why anyone would want to have raw aluminum that is not hardened to help mitigate wear eludes me. CeraKote is a great way to have a different color but imparts little to no wear resistance in the areas where the bolt travels.
    We can Cerakote any color you wish, over the anodizing at slight additional cost.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post

Correct.
    FWIW Aluminum can be CeraKoted after anodizing with no problem. Even bead blasting the finish of anodized aluminum will not take all of the hardened surface off, unless you get stupid with the bead blasting. To get all of the anodized material off would mean removing several thou off of the parts altering the dimensions.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Thanks! Learn something new everyday. I’ll just cerakote it after the anodizing gets beat up.

Also, if I have a 11.5” 22LR AR Barrel it would be NR as long as I’m over the 26” OAL, correct? Seems like a pricey option but always wanted an AR for gophers, as close as I can get with this receiver set.

That 22lr question is an absolute bucket of worms.... In some respects, that could be argued as true. However... unlike the ruger 10/22 that is likely the most commonly found semi 22lr with shorter barrels, this receiver is NOT a DEDICATED 22lr platform. And your 22cal barrel of using a 22 conversion kit, would still be chambered for 223/5.56.

You're gonna just have to settle for an 18.6" gopher gun.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranatos View Post
    That 22lr question is an absolute bucket of worms.... In some respects, that could be argued as true. However... unlike the ruger 10/22 that is likely the most commonly found semi 22lr with shorter barrels, this receiver is NOT a DEDICATED 22lr platform. And your 22cal barrel of using a 22 conversion kit, would still be chambered for 223/5.56.

You're gonna just have to settle for an 18.6" gopher gun.
    I don’t think you understand, it’s a 22LR dedicated AR barrel, can only run 22LR ammo. The stamp even says 22LR. That’s why I asked. Obviously the conversion kit would be a 223/556 barrel at 18.6”.

If it exceeds 26" in its most collapsed/folded state, and is not a centerfire semi-auto, it would be NR.

In theory Rick could build a manual action centerfire or semi-auto 22lr from factory under 26" and still have it NR as long as it has a fixed stock. Consumers doing so however would not be the same.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

I don’t think you understand, it’s a 22LR dedicated AR barrel, can only run 22LR ammo. The stamp even says 22LR. That’s why I asked. Obviously the conversion kit would be a 223/556 barrel at 18.6”.
    Interesting, I have not seen that before. Clearly uses a unique bolt carrier then? Mind PM'ing me the brand so I can look into that? I'd still want it in writing from the RCMP.

The bolt carrier is ar style blow back . Just imagine one of the conversion kits without the 223 shell on the end . Playing with fire on this one gentleman. Whatever barrel you use make sure it’s 18.6 . The lower will accept various uppers and the lower has the serial number . I myself would love to find a 1/16 twist that’s over 18.6 but it’s pretty much impossible . Might just do a cheap 20inch on ee and a conversion kit

Quote Originally Posted by blupul View Post
    The bolt carrier is ar style blow back . Just imagine one of the conversion kits without the 223 shell on the end . Playing with fire on this one gentleman. Whatever barrel you use make sure it’s 18.6 . The lower will accept various uppers and the lower has the serial number . I myself would love to find a 1/16 twist that’s over 18.6 but it’s pretty much impossible . Might just do a cheap 20inch on ee and a conversion kit
    Either it fits the non-restricted status or it does not. No fire to play with here.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA