Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 515171819202122232425262728293031323335 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter Update April 5th 2018

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike112288's Avatar
    Oh please be non restricted. Lol. It’s this or the stag. This is more affordable to shoot so....

As far as billet vs forged would forged not be stronger or harder due to the forging compacting the metal process? Or am I wrong

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Do it. They have one sitting in their gun rack and itsamazing. If they are open just drop by.
    Still in lloyd visiting. So Ill go tommorow morning instead. Cant wait to have a look at it.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    You are not too far off but it is closer to 95%. The billets weigh 10 lbs before a tool touches them, the finished stripped lower weight .6 lb
    I have to ask from pure manufacturing background. Why is there so much extra material on the top and bottom billet. You could start with a smaller piece and still get the same result?

I'm assuming it is for stability when milling but the pics seems overkill? Id hit my CNC guys if they started with material that big but we also make furniture not really high precision stuff.
    Take someone shooting - Encourage someone to get a Pal/ RPal

CGN Regular
    I was thinking that too...also why do some have twice as many tool passes as the others?

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCub View Post
    I have to ask from pure manufacturing background. Why is there so much extra material on the top and bottom billet. You could start with a smaller piece and still get the same result?

I'm assuming it is for stability when milling but the pics seems overkill? Id hit my CNC guys if they started with material that big but we also make furniture not really high precision stuff.
    Mostly due to the fact that unless you get a mill to produce literally tons of a specific size, you are stuck with what is available. The closest common size is 2x6". Ideally 1.75x5" would work, but we only needed 1 ton of material so not a big enough order to get a special run done.
    We need 1/4" on the bottom to hold the part in the fixture securely during the roughing stages where up to 3/8" is being taken off in each pass of the tool. Having a 10 lb block of barstock come out of the fixture when the tooling is spinning at 12000 RPM is NOT cool!
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    I was thinking that too...also why do some have twice as many tool passes as the others?
    Roughing and finishing. We are taking off a large amount of material with the first and often second pass of the tool and then only a few thou with the second or third pass. This extra pass takes time but leaves our products with the high quality finish that we are know for.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Another vote for FA

CGN frequent flyer
    Looking at that slab, it looks like more receivers could be machined out of it if the were rotated and staggard. How come this isn't done? Just curious, not criticism.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer F22_RaptoR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobc View Post
    Looking at that slab, it looks like more receivers could be machined out of it if the were rotated and staggard. How come this isn't done? Just curious, not criticism.
    They're machined one at a time (not in a big slab), the actual time and material you'd save doing 2 in a billet wouldn't be worth it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Turn that machine up on 10,and do not take your finger off the green button... ha ha