Thread: C7 & C8 Butt Lengths

Business Member Nordic Marksman's Avatar

C7 & C8 Butt Lengths

I took some time and took photos for reference of the butt stocks that were available for the C7 and C8 when the Canadian Forces switched over from the C1A1 in the 1980's.
    Kinda cool to see them stacked up side by side using the spacer.

Adaptable LOP is a somewhat Canadian tradition that dates back to WWII. At that time the Lee Enfield No.4 MkI buttstock's were available in 4 different lengths, (B) Bantam, (S) Short, (N) Normal and (L) Long. This continued with the C1A1 butt stock which was available in (S) Short, (N) Normal, (L) Long and (XL) Extra-long. When Canada switched to the C7 platform in the 1980's, a spacer system was designed to allow a choice in overall length. These spacers allowed a rifleman to have the correct length of pull and ultimately a better marksman.

Canada used the CS A2 marked buttstock and from what I understand, C is French for Short (Court) and the S of course is English for Short (correct me if I'm wrong here)
    Length wise, the CS A2 stock is the same overall length as the earlier A1 buttstock.

Length of Standard A1 Stock = 9.875"
    Length of CS Short A2 Stock = 9.875"
    Length of Standard A2 Stock = 10.5"

Installing a spacer will add 1.25" to either the A1, CS Short A2 or Standard A2 stock.
    Longer screws were required to install the spacer, one std length screw for the lower swivel on both the CS and standard A2 stocks but 2 different lengths for the upper buffer tube (shorter one for the CS stock and a longer one for the standard A2 stock)

Some pics below...

Raised CS marking

CS A2 Buttstock

CS A2 Buttstock with spacer installed

The spacer plus the 3 screws

A comparison between the CS A2, STD A2, CS A2 with spacer and the A2 with the spacer.

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/CS-Sho...Buttstock.html

Of course the French letter has to be bigger then the English letter. Typical.

Awesome information! Thanks for posting this!

What is the condition like on these?
    pandering to paranoia produces pointless prosecutions of people

You have done a good job of answering the spacer question

When I was in my unit finally got an XL for me (C1) and it was oh so nice. I'm 6'5". When we transitioned to the C7 the unit gun tech (we're talking a militia unit here) was able to get a spacer but could never get the screws despite ordering them. Doing drill with that rifle was awkward. Standing at attention with it I either had to lean to the right slightly or literally hold it off the ground a few inches. Usually did the latter. Good think it was light!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Nice stocks.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

I never would have thought to add the spacer to the CS stock. Not sure it was ever set up that way but it makes sense.

CS stock is my favourite. I’ve got A few. Pick them up whenever I find them for a good price. A1 with an A2 buttplate is a good alternative as well.