Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Introducing In Canada The New Mauser M18 - The Peoples Rifle

I was hoping for something better when these were announced. It's not like we need more 'budget' guns, but what we need is quality more affordable guns, without splitting hairs. I would love to see higher quality synthetic sock, adjustable trigger, control feed, iron sights and included bases. When I seen this, and watched the video, it didn't come off as 'mauser' to me at all.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Get them to do what sauer didn't do! Make 10 round magazines!
    Sauer won't make them for the 200 series of rifles because German
    guys won't buy them! This is North America, people do

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I was hoping for something better when these were announced. It's not like we need more 'budget' guns, but what we need is quality more affordable guns, without splitting hairs. I would love to see higher quality synthetic sock, adjustable trigger, control feed, iron sights and included bases. When I seen this, and watched the video, it didn't come off as 'mauser' to me at all.
    So you want an M98 for M18 prices? Good luck, especially with our exchange to the Euro.

Yes, this is a budget offering, but from a company with a good track record. If you accept it for what it is, there is promise. After all, Tikka is budget SAKO and they’re doing well; I’d bet 3-4 T3’s get sold for every 85. I’d also bet lots of Tikka owners eventually aspire to be Sako owners. If this allows Mauser to build their brand in North America then that’s great.

As to the CRF vs Push-feed thing, I don’t really care one way or the other; both work. I don’t shoot deer while hanging upside down from a tree.

Where did I say anything about price on what I was after. Not interested in this budget option.
    Quote Originally Posted by TT1900 View Post
    So you want an M98 for M18 prices? Good luck, especially with our exchange to the Euro.
    Good for them, I'm not a fan.
    Yes, this is a budget offering, but from a company with a good track record. If you accept it for what it is, there is promise. After all, Tikka is budget SAKO and they’re doing well; I’d bet 3-4 T3’s get sold for every 85. I’d also bet lots of Tikka owners eventually aspire to be Sako owners. If this allows Mauser to build their brand in North America then that’s great.
    Way to straw man dude, keep at it.
    As to the CRF vs Push-feed thing, I don’t really care one way or the other; both work. I don’t shoot deer while hanging upside down from a tree.
    All in all, I was expecting a stronger offering from Mauser and didn't expect they would try and sit on the edge of markets. Oh well.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN frequent flyer
    Hyperbole, not straw man.....

$700USD is hardly the edge of market. Once again, while not “traditional Mauser”, I think taken on its own merits they’ll sell a bunch. Rifles like this are targeted towards novice, casual, and budget hunters as evidenced by the mainstream caliber selections and lack of features. Push vs Control feed doesn’t matter for such individuals. If you’re going on Safari, doing fly-in’s, or depend on your rifle for survival you aren’t worried about rifle cost and this isn’t targeted to you.

For what it is, a budget offering from a top manufacturer, it looks promising. I fall firmly into the novice/casual rifle hunter only going after deer once per year. I’m interested.

CGN Regular
    I'd take one. I would also love to see one in 6.5x55 or 7x57!

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I am with you on this one. It may be a great gun, but just not what I would be hoping for. There is nothing magical about German quality - lots of companies make decent budget guns. If Zastava, Winchester, Ruger, etc, can make a mauser action at a decent price - why can't Mauser at an affordable price as well?

This seems like a gun for the age of Trudeau - a famous name but nothing particularly special. If they came out with a true m98 action with a synthetic and wood stock for under $1500 I would be on board.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    The Mauser name was sold to SIG in 1999.

These rifles are not made in Oberndorf, nor are they made by old Mauser employees. Nothing Mauser about them beside the logo/name.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    A Mauser needs to offer 6.5x55, 8x57, 7x57, and 9.3x62. Keeping it continental! :-)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    The Mauser name was sold to SIG in 1999.

These rifles are not made in Oberndorf, nor are they made by old Mauser employees. Nothing Mauser about them beside the logo/name.
    SIGARMS purchased the Mauser name for pistol manufacture in 1999 when the military sector production was separated from civilian gun production.

These rifles are made in Isny, Bavaria by "Mauser Jagdwaffen GmbH". Some military production resumes in Oberndorf where HK is also producing guns.

I don't know what you mean by "old Mauser employees". I guess the ones who produced the K98 before WW2 may be retired/deceased by now.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast