Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sa20/c7 uppers only?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    I would like to see CC Sa20 barrels and CC Mrr18.6 barrels. Both would be awesome parts to install on a MDI SLR or ATRS MS.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
    Apologies to vendor and the can delete if they want, but why? There are better barrels you can buy for new and probably cheaper. Personally at this point I wouldn't break up one of these rifles or buy parts unless I was building a part accurate rifle. But hey YMMV.
    Apologies again
    So what barrel is better than a Diemaco barrel?

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by F22_RaptoR View Post
    I would very much like a C7 barrel. Would be a perfect fit for a maccabe or ATRS NR receiver set.
    This is exactly what I want one for as well. peferably the SA20 barrels, because they have a rifle length gas system. the 18.6" barrels from the MRR rifles are carbine I believe.

I'm in for 2 Colt Canada 20" barrel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer F22_RaptoR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
    Apologies to vendor and the can delete if they want, but why? There are better barrels you can buy for new and probably cheaper. Personally at this point I wouldn't break up one of these rifles or buy parts unless I was building a part accurate rifle. But hey YMMV.
    Apologies again
    No worries, the specific material and cold hammer forging makes them one of the most durable barrels on the market. I know an FN barrel would be close, but colt Canada has the choked barrel which makes them quite accurate on top of the durability.

The "choke" in the barrel is a byproduct of radial hammer forging. Anyone who uses the same process and makes barrel blanks to length, i.e. Hk,FN ....will have it . Granted, colt Canada was not the one who started it. People from HK USA was most likely the origin of the myth of "barrel choking" years ago , and others started picking up. It was a moment of up selling a process by product.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Last edited by Jacobean; 04-15-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    This is exactly what I want one for as well. peferably the SA20 barrels, because they have a rifle length gas system. the 18.6" barrels from the MRR rifles are carbine I believe.
    It's a moot point on the MRRs though; Colt Canada addressed any issue of potential over-gassing by tuning their gas port size and chamber specifications to ensure correct gas metering, and then confirmed their findings by verifying the bolt carrier velocity through high-speed video footage

CGN Ultra frequent flyer F22_RaptoR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    The "choke" in the barrel is a byproduct of radial hammer forging. Anyone who uses the same process and makes barrel blanks to length, i.e. Hk,FN ....will have it . Granted, colt Canada was not the one who started it. People from HK USA was most likely the origin of the myth of "barrel choking" years ago , and others started picking up. It was a moment of up selling a process by product.
    All hammer forged barrels are tapered to extract the mandrel when it's finished, yes. but I've read the process with colt canada involves about a 2-3 inch long section at the muzzle that is more 'choked' than what the normal taper involves, and hence why they spent so much time testing the lengths, each time they had to machine new barrels to their 'odd' lengths whens testing. In any case, Cold Canada also uses an alloy that's diffierent than the Mil-11595e which is more heat resistant and leads to a longer service life. (also allows it to meet the minus 68 degree Canadian forces standards, as well as the chrome lining being different and less likely to chip)

realistically, Daniel Defense or FN would probably be just as good, but DD has shown no interest in making 18.6 barrels. FN are good also but I'd like to see if CC will release them before i go that route :D
    Last edited by F22_RaptoR; 04-15-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobean View Post
    It's a moot point on the MRRs though; Colt Canada addressed any issue of potential over-gassing by tuning their gas port size and chamber specifications to ensure correct gas metering, and then confirmed their findings by verifying the bolt carrier velocity through high-speed video footage
    Well it is hard to reach a adjustable gas block with a carbine length gas system under a 15" handguard, so for my purposes a SA20 barrel would be ideal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast