Thread: Storing ammunition question

Storing ammunition question

I am in a bit of a pickle and I was looking for some advice. As a 19 year old who is in college and still living with his parents, (as I am sure many other 19 year olds on here are) I am in a bit of a predicament with regards to my ammunition. It took me a long and hard time to convince my parents to let me get a PAL, much less let me buy firearms. I finally did it and we came up with a deal that I could own firearms but I would not keep any ammunition in the house.

The problem arises when I go to the range and have to buy my ammunition there, it can get very expensive as opposed to buying it in bulk. My question is; can I buy ammunition in bulk and store my ammunition in a separate location (that is not the address that I am keeping my firearms at and not the address on my PAL file, i.e. keep the ammo in my dads office which we own) in a locked container that only I have access to? The legislation says "Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms." but that is not very helpful as it is very vague.

I am in kind of a predicament here but I would like to see if I can legally do something about it with the situation I am currently in.

Thanks, all.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandoSpoke View Post
    ...can I buy ammunition in bulk and store my ammunition in a separate location (that is not the address that I am keeping my firearms at and not the address on my PAL file, i.e. keep the ammo in my dads office which we own) in a locked container that only I have access to?
    Yes. Reference the Explosives Act and Regulations.

Explosives Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. E-17)
    <http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-17/>

Explosives Regulations, 2013 (SOR/2013-211)
    <http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2013-211/index.html>

Storage — unlicensed user

(2) A user who does not hold a licence must store their small arms cartridges, including any small arms cartridges *manufactured by the user under Division 2, in a dwelling or a *storage unit and ensure that the requirements of sections 280 and 281 are met.

*Terms preceded by an asterisk are defined in section 6.

Maximum quantity

280 No more than 225 kg of small arms cartridges may be stored at any one time.

Note: In accordance with section 269, the reference to 225 kg of small arms cartridges is a reference to their net quantity (the mass of the explosive excluding the mass of any packaging, container, shell casing or projectile).

Storage requirements — dwelling

281 (1) When small arms cartridges are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition. People not authorized by the user must not be given unlimited access to the cartridges.

Storage requirements — storage unit

(2) When small arms cartridges are stored in a *storage unit,

(a) the storage unit must be located in a dry place, away from flammable substances and sources of ignition;

(b) the storage unit must be constructed and maintained to prevent unauthorized access and to protect the contents from weather;

(c) if the storage unit is a container, it must not impede exit in case of fire;

(d) if the storage unit is not a container, all exits must be kept unobstructed;

(e) any shelving in the storage unit must be made from a non-sparking material (for example, wood or painted metal);

(f) nothing other than propellant powder, percussion caps or black powder cartouches may be stored with the small arms cartridges;

(g ) small arms cartridges, propellant powder, percussion caps and black powder cartouches must be stored separately from one another (for example, on different shelves or separated by a wooden barrier);

(h) the storage unit must be *attended when it is unlocked;

(i) the storage unit must be kept clean, dry, organized and free of grit;

(j) any spill, leakage or other contamination in the storage unit must be cleaned up immediately;

(k) precautions that minimize the likelihood of fire in or near the storage unit must be taken; and

(l) a sign that displays the words “Danger — Fire Hazard/Risque d’incendie” in letters at least 10 cm high and that prohibits smoking using letters, or a symbol, at least 10 cm high must be posted on the storage unit in a clearly visible location.

*Terms preceded by an asterisk are defined in section 6.

<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2013-211/page-34.html#h-101>
    Propellants and Ammunition
    <http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/acquisition-storage-sale/9827>
    Last edited by Wendell; 04-16-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Silly question but do you have a car? Store your ammo in the trunk maybe? Another option is to store your ammo at a friend's place. A PAL is required to buy ammo but not to possess... With time, your parents may come around and allow ammo in the house. Good luck!

CGN Regular
    Buy yourself a sturdy lockable bin and store your ammo at the office so only you have access. Problem solved...

Personally I wouldn't store in a car for a multitude of reasons.

Also- in general be very careful about legal advice from the internet...

And finally- welcome!
    Brawndo: Its got electrolytes!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Move out!
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    A PAL is required to buy ammo but not to possess...
    Last time I checked the P in PAL stood for POSSESSION. Why else would you have to keep it locked up so unlicenced people can't get it?
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

CGN Regular
    Take one, or preferably both of your parents shooting some time! If they seem to enjoy themselves then explain that you'd be able to take them with you more often if you could buy ammunition in bulk for a cheaper price, and store it safely at home.
    Never forget that the Canadian Forces Stand on Guard for Thee. Remember to repay that with True Patriot Love
    CCFR Member