Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Troublesome attempt at EE transaction

Certain amount of faith required. My transactions have all been 100%. I have sent a copy of my PAL when requested but usually just my info. Sometimes I have a phone conversation which usually ends up being very interesting. Living as we do ( extremely rural ) the EE is often the first place I go when looking for stuff. There will always be lowlife's but they are a very small minority on here IMO. I did get sloppy for a while about the trader rating but cleaned up my act as it is important. I rate all my trades now (not all that active compared to some).

Quote Originally Posted by tbrwlf View Post
    I have bought and sold a lot on Gunnutz. I was only scammed once and it was not a firearm or ammo.

When I do a deal, these are the steps I take. I will deal with new EE members but with caution. I have had more trouble with people with 25-50 trades than new people.

Buyer contacts seller with I am interested and asks for whatever details he needs to be comfortable with the item offered.
    And YES this means pictures. I am amazed at how offended some of you are about providing pictures. If you won't place them in your ad expect me to request some.

Buyer contacts seller with an "I'll take it"
    Seller responds "it is yours send EMT/Payment and your information"
    Buyer sends payment, password, personal information (Full Name, Address, Phone Number, PAL/RPAL Number (if a firearm or ammo is involved)
    Seller receives payment.
    Seller calls CFO initiates transfer if required.
    .....Seller informs Buyer of transfer reference
    .....Buyer calls CFO to complete application
    .....Both parties wait until the CFO approves transfer
    Seller packages and ships item.
    Seller provides Buyer tracking number.
    Buyer receives item and submits feedback
    Seller submits feedback.

This is the way I've been doing it.
    So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by adamthaggan View Post
    I really like the idea of withholding EMT payment untill registration transfer has begun. This way both parties are committed. Obviously I’m new to this but that makes the most sense to me. Both parties talk, understand the procedure and if agreed roll
    Forward.
    Good luck with that.
    You won't find many, if any, sellers that will agree to that.
    At least not sellers that have a good transaction rating.
    All of my bullets go through the same hole - the one in the barrel.
    If you're not getting stuck in a Hummer H1 you are not trying hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by adamthaggan View Post
    I really like the idea of withholding EMT payment untill registration transfer has begun. This way both parties are committed. Obviously I’m new to this but that makes the most sense to me. Both parties talk, understand the procedure and if agreed roll
    Forward. As much as I’d like to trust the folks selling items here, I still lock my doors at night. There’s a personal responsibility to protect your assets I think. I’ll be curious to purchase something PAL required from one of these online dealers.
    I work in fraud investigation and because of that, I'm quite jaded and cynical. So I can totally relate to Adam's perspective. Having said that, can a seller who contacts the CFO to initiate the transfer not call back and cancel the transfer if they do not receive the buyer's payment?

Super Moderator
    A seller can cancel a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.45 View Post
    FYI, for restricted transfers the seller does not need buyers PAL at all. Here is an alternative way:

1. Buyer and seller agree on the deal.
    2. Seller gives the buyer their name, phone, and make/model/serial number of the firearm.
    3. Buyer calls CFP and initiates the transfer (seller's name and FA serial are enough to confirm validity). CFP gives the buyer transfer reference number during the call.
    4. Buyer sends payment and transfer reference number issued by CFP to the seller.
    5. Seller accepts payment and calls CFP to confirm transfer - at this point, CFP had already filled buyer's info on their side. Seller only needs to provide transfer reference # and buyer's name, address and phone number.
    6. Once transfer is authorized, CFP issues transfer confirmation letter to both parties, and the seller can request an ATT and ship the item.

This is a lot more secure than exchanging PAL scans. Buyer has confirmation that the seller indeed has the item registered to them. Seller is also covered, because CFP validated buyer's info before money exchange hands, and no one in their right mind would initiate transfer to commit fraud.
    So other than the inconvenience (albeit a huge PIA) of the seller potentially having to call in to cancel a transfer, I'm not sure I see a downside in 5.45's process. Or perhaps a deposit, say 10%, is a sign of good faith on the buyer's part to start the process?
    Last edited by HooliganD; 04-19-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: credit to 5.45 for the process I see as being more balanced

Hello again gentlefolk,

For those that may still see this thread I just recently attempted a purchase of a restricted gun through the EE. After a few short simple and to the point messages I agreed to send EMT with password and RPAL info to buyer. 4 days passed without any response from seller. I sent another message or two inquiring as to the sellers whereabouts as I could see they were and had been currently online since EMT and INfo were sent. I cancelled the EMT and got my cash back BUT this bonehead now has my information which I’m not too pleased with. I’ve left negative feedback and am moving onwards. I suppose that’s the risk you take with a faith based system. But what’s a guy to do.

Anyhow, just an update on my proceedings since starting this post. I have had a few great purchases with other CGNners, so there is a silver lining. Thanks again to all for their input.

-A
    If you want to buy a gun by law you’ll have to show a license at the point of purchase. Right now that’s not a requirement. -The Prime Mistake, Little Castreau 03/20/2018

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345