Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Garand Barrels Now in stock

Quote Originally Posted by tharkhold View Post
    Fek! I just paid over 400$ for a criterion 308 barrel..

Good to know if I need another barrel though!

So these fit in normal (ie not shortened) garand stocks/etc?

My 30-06 Garand with a Criterion barrel has a regular stock.
    My 2nd Garand in 308 with a criterion barrel has a shorter stock, about 1/2 inch.

I dont know about Citadel, but my 30-06 shoot crazy accurate with NM sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    Maybe they've improved then since I last used one. Either way, even if you get one that's under-indexed, it's an easy thing to remedy in a lathe. Over-indexing, on the other hand, is harder to fix.
    I have been told that these barrels are not the Citadel barrels of decades ago when quality was spotty.
    The builder I spoke with has had about the same experience as OneBarfly has. No issues and very nice grouping. With the complete lack of barrels in Canada its good to at least have some available.
    Citadel has never had anything to do with Krieger who are in Wisconsin. Citadel is in California.

Anyone install one of these barrels yet. I just attempted to install one on two different PB receivers and gave up 20 degrees under indexed, using a 4' wrench handle with a lot of force applied at the end. No way that is going on and I don't own a lathe.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Lee Enfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    Worry not - Criterion > Citadel.

Criterion are premium barrels and are what Fulton and LRB use. They are made on the original Springfield Armory (the military one) machinery and won;t need the shoulder set back to index.

Citadel is the bargain line from Krieger - they take a ton of shortcuts compated to their flagship barrels and they are NOT the equal of a real Kreiger match grade bbl. Most Krieger and citadel barrels DO need a lathe to install correctly, their shoulders are usualy 5 thou too long, which they say they do on putpose for people with receivers that are slightly out of spec.

Both criterion and citadel are OK barrels, but I prefer Criterion personally. Criterion also usually costs more.
    You've got that reversed,

Criterion was set up by Krieger as a "cheap-cheerful" button rifled service rifle barrel maker.

Criterion outgrew Krieger and was spun off as an independent company - now has separate ownership and no (formal) ties to Krieger.

Quote Originally Posted by HK41 View Post
    Anyone install one of these barrels yet. I just attempted to install one on two different PB receivers and gave up 20 degrees under indexed, using a 4' wrench handle with a lot of force applied at the end. No way that is going on and I don't own a lathe.
    Better under-timed than over-timed, but you will have to relieve the shoulder of the barrel to a proper under-turn value.

if you force it that much you risk creating a stress point in the chamber.

Does anyone remember the 1980s Ruger and S&W revolver barrels failing at the frame joint? They were over torqued and this created a stress point - I've also seen photos of "under-turned" M305s where the barrels did the same thing after turning to TDC without relieving the shoulder.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 05-03-2018 at 05:53 PM.
    BSN from the Republic of Alberta

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/

Newbie here just curious if anyone knows where you can get the chamber reamed if needed when building a garand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12