WK180-C eta updates - March 12th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wolverine

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I am starting this new thread where I will keep everyone advised on the latest developments and updates on the ETA for the WK180-C rifle. Feel free to add comments but I will delete them from time to time to keep this thread short and informative without having to struggle through pages of comments.

We have had a problem with barrels, we had sourced them from a reputable manufacture, Steve from Kodiak visited them to check on their manufacturing facility everything looked good. Later when he checked on delivery Steve discovered that the manufacture had out sourced the barrels to a “no-name” sub contractor. We were assured our cost would be the same but no assurance on quality and no warranty to us. After lots of discussion we decided to cancel this barrel order and look elsewhere, this would mean delays, we were not sure then how long but we were not prepared to gamble with unknown barrel quality.

Barrel blanks our now coming from Fedderson, steel is 4150 and they are button rifled. Kodiak will be profiling them , chambering and fitting barrel extensions. Barrel weight is approx. 1.98 lbs. We will have the first 140 barrels shipped to us the end of next week. Hopefully we will be able to keep the dry weight under 8 lbs. Photo of the barrel profile below.

This barrel issue has set us back approx. 4 weeks, optimistically we will receive some rifles at the end of this month but we do not expect to be shipping before June, initial delivers will be slow but we intend to have weekly shipments from Kodiak and ramp up production as fast as we can.

Below are photos of the production hand guard, I expect a sample here next week and more details will follow then.

As always we thank everyone for their continued patience and support.

yLTsce2.jpg

XqONxVU.jpg

zyVY95V.jpg

DPX8lRM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had a slight hic-up, see following from Kodiak: "It doesn’t look like we will be able to assemble rifles this week. There was an issue with the barrels. Some how the outsource machine shop got the wrong blue print. They made 10 mid length barrels. So on a positive note we have 10 barrels to test a mid length gas system. Hopefully Monday/Tuesday we will be assembling some rifles. I apologize for the delay."

I know some customers were wanted mid-length systems, if you are one of them please e-mail me directly John@wolverinesupplies.com These (mid-length) will not be completed quickly as we have to specially manufacture pistons and hand guards and priority must be given to the standard model.

Again thanks for your patience.

We have to and we will give priority to getting full production underway of the standard model with the short gas system. Due to an error we find ourselves with 10 barrels machined to accept the mid length gas system, we will have to get 10 gas pistons custom made to suit these and source longer hand guards, I then have to test fire to insure they will function well, can't say how long this will take. We also have to start R&D for the 7.62 x 39 model and the .308 utility rifle, so we have a very busy schedule. I can't say at this time if a mid length gas system will be an off the shelf available option in the future, if so it may well increase the price.

To be clear there are "pistol" length systems, not relevant to this project. Then we have short (Carbine) length, mid length and then the long (Rifle) length systems. We do not use off the shelf gas tubes as this design uses a gas piston.

For those of you who think that this is a legal requirement to sell/purchase a firearm in Canada, this should make you rest easy at night.. :)

If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to order one of these bad boys now that is has an FRT, As always:

You can E-mail us at: sales@wolverineSupplies.com

You can Call us at: 204-748-2454

You can send at letter to: Box 729 , #1 River Valley Road, Virden, MB, R0M 2C0 , Canada

You can send a messenger to : Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384 NE ¼ 5-11-25

Link to the Pre-Order --> https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/ProductDetail/KODWK180CONLINE_Kodiak-Defense-WK180-C-5-56--DEPOSIT-ONLY#?sortValue=0

LGhgta8.jpg

D7tBKc5.jpg

Just curious, when is the projected shipping date for these rifles? Also, if we aren’t on thebpre order how long will it take to get one?

To early to give you an accurate answer, I hope to see the first small shipment the end of next week. Wolverine are keeping the first ten this will give us some for R&D, test reports and demo units etc The balance, if any will be shipped, production should then ramp up slowly although we may be delayed with barrels, we want to stay with Fedderson as we have heard such good reports on their barrels but this may delay us initially, they are costing us a little more than our budget but I think a small delay will be worth it. We could go for some mass produced cheap barrels but I want to avoid this if at all possible due to QC concerns on accuracy.

PS
Steve will be coming and plans to make the first pre-production model in 7.62x39 for Wolverine Days, all been well she will be available for test firing. No, we will not be taking orders just yet but we will be looking for user feed back.

Last edited:
Okay to clarify... according to that FRT we can only use mags that are for AR15 rifles? So no AR pistol mag use? Thus limited to 5 rounds?...

Firstly you need to remember that the FRT is only the Opinion of the RCMP SFSS, it is not law.

In my opinion what this is indicating, is that as a rifle any mags marked WK180-C are rifle mags and must be limited to 5 rds. It does not stop you from using a 10rd pistol mag.

This may have been answered but just curious.... Are the new barrels black in colour.? I know the original photo had a silver barrel. I personally like the all black look.

On a side note, I know you can’t give us a definitive time for orders but can you give us an idea of how many orders would be ahead of us if we were to make an order now? And any estimate of number of orders shipped per week/month.

Thanks

All production gun barrels will be "black".

We have approx. 2,700 sold, we can not accurately forecast product for a few weeks, as soon as production is going at full speed we will be able to give everyone a much better idea on deliveries, right now it would be just SWAG!

It is almost impossible to look up where your order is placed in our system, if I do it for one, everyone will want me to check on their order. It would be easy for me just to post the complete list showing names but I obviously can't do that for several reasons.

We run two different order systems, this is why your order # will be prefixed with either a WEB or ORD following by eight digits. If you just compare numbers you may be way out. For example ORD00024804 is approx. 150 guns ahead of WEB00024521!

Rest assured will be shipping all orders in strict chronological order, assuming PAL's are valid, addresses correct and payment has been received.

The first "PRODUCTION RIFLES" have left Ontario and are on route to us so we will have them on the range for WOLVERINE DAYS.

As for new tariffs, they may well affect things but I have no idea how much, I think we will be looking at a 10% price increase 1st July. All orders placed prior to 1st July will be at the old price.

I expect there will be many pics, and some video, in a couple days :)

The timing is all wrong as we are rushed off our feet preparing for WOLVERINE DAYS this weekend. We will make a detailed video next week, showing how to field strip for cleaning and complete disassembly. Apart from two little detail changes what we now have here are production guns.

Y'all asked.... so I though we should deliver! We are crazy busy with Wolverine Days coming up so a range video and a disassembly video should be coming next week unless our graphics team runs away to Alaska again.... We found her there and carted her butt back here but you never know she might escape again :p

Couple features to note are the knurled charging handle, Ambi Safety, Ambi index plate, serrations on take down along with small indent to make tear down easy, and lastly the overall weight is a super nicely balanced 7 lbs.

As always:

You can E-mail us at: sales@wolverineSupplies.com

You can Call us at: 204-748-2454

You can send at letter to: Box 729 , #1 River Valley Road, Virden, MB, R0M 2C0 , Canada

You can send a messenger to : Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384 NE ¼ 5-11-25

Link to the WK-180C --> https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/ProductDetail/KODWK180CONLINE_Kodiak-Defense-WK180-C-5-56--DEPOSIT-ONLY#?sortValue=0

BXvrJaH.jpg

IAgYOry.jpg

LjkHu98.jpg

0dlTjOv.jpg

iofLAQq.jpg

E87c9s7.jpg

We should have the first shipment (approx. 25) leaving Kodiak for us next week. After that we will have shipments leaving Kodiak every Monday. We are hoping that production will increase to 100 per week once everything is up and running, this is assuming there are no delays with raw materials.

We are changing the charging handle design slightly but this is a simple replacement part and the owners of the first few rifles will simply be shipped a new style one at NC. Apart from that everything is looking very good. I have just test fired the prototype 7.62x39 and she is performing well. This is just to test the concept, production is a long way off.

I have edited this thread for simplicity. Feel free to post but remember there is a thread for technical questions and another on builds, so I will continue to keep this thread edited and on track.

Today 4th July the first 22 production rifles should be collected from Kodiak and start their journey to Wolverine. We will keep one for test firing so 21 will be shipped to the first customers next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom