Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAL application with depression 8 years ago ( CFO ask for further screening)

PAL application with depression 8 years ago ( CFO ask for further screening)

Hi Guys,

I was following up with my application for my PAL (no rpal) application this week. The woman at the firearms program told me that my application was now at the Provincial CFO office and was at the final stage. She gave me the extension number to call them.

When i did called the Quebec CFO, the agent was reviewing my file and at some point he asked me if i already had any issue with justice in 2010...

Then i went on thinking that i DID do a burnout/depression in 2010. And during this depression, i volontary went to my local hospital to ask if they could help. (suggestion from my therapist at the moment, because it was not going well with my ex-wife + 2 young kids)). They keeped me for 5-7 days and then they told me that i was not i danger to myself so i was sent back home.

Got divorced when i got back home, sold the house and change my job that was requiring 60+ hours per week. Everything went for the best since then.

The agent to which i talked told me that i will take a long time before i get a response and the normal delay could not apply in my case. They needed to do further screening.
    Just to be clear, i didn't think they would check that far back in my life. Otherwise i would had declared it in my application. And i'm not against it either, i think it's a good to see if someone is fit to own a firearm.

I called a second time the day later to ask if needed to provide any kind of informations like medical report, doctor name etc..
    Then it when it get interesting.. The guy look at my file and promptly tell me that there's nothing in my file that should stop me from getting my PAL. And it was the last 5 years that was critical. He then took my phone number to ask the person in charge of my file to contact me next week.

Don't really know what to believe from this situation. Did any of you ever had a similar situation?
    Thanks for any information you guys could provide.

When I got diagnosed with PTSD over 10 years ago. I told them, and they just asked me for doctors note. Than since I never bothered.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

BANNED
    Good to hear they are following up, when it comes to mental issues like this.

I’ve always been curious about this situation. Because most people get depressed for a period of time or have some other complication in life. What happens if or when they deny your renewal? I’ve known seriously depressed people who’ve sprung back seemingly no problems. But what do they do?

I feel like the whole depression thing is false security. The problem is that 1/4 of all people will experience depression at least once during their life time. It is so common that it is almost unavoidable. Most of the time, it is usually just related to a stressful situation. If the person does not disclose it, they may or may not even know. If they do, further followup won't do much since you cannot make sure they will never have any more issues. At the end of the day it is just false sense of security like most firearm restrictions. The Liberal rule just cannot understand that lying to themselves that everything is okay is actually what hurts them and us the most.
    Lead runs in my vein. Gunpowder fuels my soul.

My wife had a similar situation, they called me as her husband and reference. The delay was slightly longer than normal but she was issued her rpal without complication and her first purchase was processed faster than any of mine have ever been. Lol

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMay1987 View Post
    I wish someone else could send me his opinion
    Why would you bump a post that's over 2 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingforantiques View Post
    Why would you bump a post that's over 2 years old?
    Because it's an important topic. Many people avoid seeking help, because they are afraid of having their firearms taken away, or afraid to get their license. Because some minor everybody deals with it depression. Just be honest.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

I don't understand the problem and why you created a thread. You called them, and they told you everything. Why aggravate this situation and try to find help from someone from users on this forum? I have too many questions for too few answers. When I have some problems, I try to solve them myself, and even more so, I don't see any big issues in your situation. You called, they answered, that's all you need. You reminded me of yourself when something didn't work out for me in my teenage years. I immediately fell into depression and experienced anxiety. It's good that I know how to get rid of anxiety quickly thanks to this article -- https://fherehab.com/anxiety/treatment/.
    Last edited by Gusdonvaleir; 12-14-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Typical MO is to either send you or your Dr forms for your Dr to fill out and they send. If you are in a larger area your app is with a firearms constable and they "investigate" for the cfo

If yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast