Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Typhoon Defense s/a 12 guage order just arrived.

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar
    These firearms are non restricted

Friends,

I bought a Typhoon F12 Maxi Bronze from our co-cgner last week. The package are the same from the early post in this forum of Typhoon F12 Maxi Bronze. I would like to share my first hand experience and encountered problems, and hoping to get a replies from you guys especially to those who can make the rifle a perfect 3-gun and hunting gear:

1. Rifle Condition: Almost New and Unfired from my new CGN friend
    2. Upon opening the plastic case and familiar myself with all the goodies and manual instruction plus youtube videos; I dismantled the rifle for degreasing, cleaning and refit of all screws (some are loose)
    3. Then, proper re-assembly and function test (trigger pull weight is amazing 3.6lbs)
    4. Just a comment in regards to "instruction manual," I have a maxi model and no specifics instructions in the manual for the stated model.

Range Time the following morning:
    1. Bought: S&B-Win-Remington 2.75" slugs (1-1 1/8 Oz) and Win Super X Rifled Slugs hollow point with 1760fps 3" (for break-in)
    2. Tried to get the proper sight of the rifle using a single shot slug from S&B then Rem and Winchester - all 2.75" cartridge 1 to 1 1/8 Oz - not cycling or properly opening the bolt as I used the 2 rd mag and as i said putting 1 ammo (slug) at a time
    3. Good Thing: VERY ACCURATE RIFLE using all these slugs, the best is Remington 2.75" slugger rifle slug (10y = -1.6", 25y = -0.3" and dead zero in 50y (+/- 0.5") using a Bushnell TRS25 red dot
    4. I was very happy and shoot some Win 3" cartridge (strong one and cycling properly)
    5. I did another batch of zeroing just to confirm everything with the same sequence of different loads and different distances.
    5. Bad things arised and BE AWARE: the next batch of confirmation in zeroing the rifle was "ALL OVER THE TARGET SHEET" but still on paper 6" by 6" up to 50 yards. I was confused and worried on what went wrong.
    6. I checked the rifle and found 2 things. The most important is the barrel nut infront of the handguard area become loose and the other one which nothing to do with accuracy was a loose butt stock nut.
    7. I tightened these nuts/screws and went back to accuracy shooting and it was all went back to its proper places in different distances (10y, 25y and 50y).

Breaking-in:
    1. After zeroing the rifle, I shoot Winchester Super X Rifled Slugs 3" with 1760fps
    2. The rifle was cycling properly and 100%, it was just too strong for my shoulder, I did used at least 50 rounds of it without any hick-ups.
    3. I tried to run 2.75" slugs again and there was already an improvement, sometimes it cycled sometimes not -- means need more 3" magnum for further break-in

Other concerns:
    1. I watched the video in youtube about this rifle but different model (standard Typhoon F12) and it was in Hamilton, Ontario skeet range. I tried to load the rifle with a single ammo while the 2 rd mag is in the rifle, sometimes I am experiencing where i cannot release the bolt. The release bolt on the left side is solid and i can move it. I don't want to force it and the initial remedy it to remove the mag and it will move.

Guys, these are my experience yesterday. I will buy some more of Win 3" cartridges for further breaking in the rifle and will shoot again ASAP.

Please reply with your experience and help on how to make this rifle run like a champ, how to prevent those nuts from moving, what is the issue with my bolt release lever and proper ammunition.

Thank you.

Jikatoki

what's the choke thread on the barrel. very interested myself too. so its not ready to play out of the box, I thought the difference is just about their finish, didn't realize there are variety of models?

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ffgats View Post
    what's the choke thread on the barrel. very interested myself too. so its not ready to play out of the box, I thought the difference is just about their finish, didn't realize there are variety of models?
    The model of Typhoons we have have a proprietary threading on the outside of the barrel.

Photos from our friends at SSIR rental typhoon:
    Name:  typhoon barrel threads.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  typhoon barrel threads 2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  40.4 KB

Thread on barrel. It is a good accurate shotgun

Jikatoki

Quote Originally Posted by Western Metal Inc View Post
    The model of Typhoons we have have a proprietary threading on the outside of the barrel.

Photos from our friends at SSIR rental typhoon:
    Name:  typhoon barrel threads.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  typhoon barrel threads 2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  40.4 KB
    To our friends from western metal:

1. Planning to shoot only 2.75” 1oz rifled slugs. What is the best setting for the patented dual gas system: 50g high loads (pointing the arrow towards the barrel) or the light loads (arrow is pointing towards the barrel)? Any recommendations?
    2. I watched a video from youtube on how to disassemble the rifle. Why my maxi model don't have a shim between the barrel nut and the main spring?
    3. Can you send me some spares of lower and upper pins or the maintenance package of the rifle? I will pay.

I am desperate to make this rifle great here in Toronto Canada.

Thank you.

Jikatoki

Any news on the newest versions of the MAXI or STANDARD with longer barrels that use the flush fit mobile style chokes?

I also picked one up. Zero complaints, cycles like a dream.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123