Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals !!! Yugoslav Era M59/66 SKS Rifles Now in Stock !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    The blue has turned plum in places, like the receiver.
    Bluing turns plum when applied to heat treated steel. The receiver on the Yugo SKS's are heat treated in a way that hardens the steel; lower quality military bluing doesn't have a chance of blending in with other blued parts of non-hardened steel.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. -Jeff Cooper

D.V.C.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Nothing better then a sunday afternoon cleaning up 2 Yugo SKS's
    tried solar oven ...But just came down to completly immersing everthing in a gas,diesel,varsol witches brew (plastic sleigh)
    Still have to clean up barrels again then wipe down
    I think I'm going to assemble then tear down again and grease..then reassemble

The one I received is serialized 709*** which places it at 1987, I believe mine has also been lightly refurbished.
    All the major components match, the stock has some handling marks for sure, but no dings that really detract from it's appearance, all mojo
    Mine also has the night sight, and no porting in the grenade launcher.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscript View Post
    Bluing turns plum when applied to heat treated steel. The receiver on the Yugo SKS's are heat treated in a way that hardens the steel; lower quality military bluing doesn't have a chance of blending in with other blued parts of non-hardened steel.
    I thought it had to do with the elemental composition of the steel. I have an old Ruger Blackhawk with plum bits too.

Doesn't matter to me one tick - I just thought it interesting. The barrel is nicely finished, though.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I thought it had to do with the elemental composition of the steel. I have an old Ruger Blackhawk with plum bits too.
    Both have an affect on the color of the blue, but it's essentially the heat treat that gives any steel its hardness. You can have high carbon steel be blued the same way with a steel of a lesser quality, with similar result. It's only when you heat treat the steel (Like the ejector, extractor and receiver in some cases, or any other high impact/use parts) that you get a noticeable effect on the color. Newer bluing techniques have mitigated the color difference due to aesthetic concerns, which is why most older guns have different color bluing (Even Norinco's today, since their bluing is still junk army grade).

It's not an exact science but it all depends on what quality of blue you're using on what grade of steel and the heat treat it's been through.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. -Jeff Cooper

D.V.C.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney47 View Post
    Ok so quality is better? I've never held one, so I gotta ask what quality wise is better? Better steel, better stock, better barrel, bluing? I personally find it hard to believe that it's that much better than a bullet proof Russian, that it could justify the price difference. Or is it the rarity more than the quality that makes the price so high? Like I said I've never held or seen one in person, I'm just wandering why so much $
    The main difference is in the fit and finish that I can observe. I do not know about the metal quality difference. If you have held a polish M44 vs a Russian M44 the difference in fit/finish is obvious. The milling is finished just that much better. If you have used a 1942/43 mosin nagant and also held a 1934-38 version you will notice a massive difference in the finish of the rifle. The sights on the Yugo come in two variants that I am aware of. Both are easier in my opinion to use with the night sights (semi flourencent painted dots) being the better option. This Yugo also comes with a rubber butt plate where the Russian variants do not. I can not attest to any accuracy differences as mine are still greasey.
    I still find a Russian SKS to be a very nice rifle and I use it as the baseline for any firearm I buy. I want any gun I own to be equal of better made than a Russian SKS. Many modern guns to stack up when I look at them and compare them to the build quality of the old SKS.

Mine is at rhe post office but I'm two hours away in Kelowna! Hopefully I can make it back in time.

***picked it up today. Holy ####ing cosmoline. It was just wrapped in paper so I'll have to be carful where I put it when it heats up in here.
    Last edited by Victor Simon; 06-25-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Simon View Post
    Mine is at rhe post office but I'm two hours away in Kelowna! Hopefully I can make it back in time.

***picked it up today. Holy ####ing cosmoline. It was just wrapped in paper so I'll have to be carful where I put it when it heats up in here.
    How is the condition of your rifle? Year built?

Quote Originally Posted by Para D View Post
    Thanks all, got mine yesterday and was so excited I stayed up late getting her all cleaned up. Getting the bayonet off was "fun" but it looked like the only way to get all the cosmoline out. The firing pin retainer was also tighter than I have ever experienced before but we got her taken down. Beautiful gun just two things:

1) My receiver cover had a pretty noticeable wear/scratch area maybe about 1.5x1.5cm, was there before I started cleaning so thought it was either from handling or from storage. Not the end of the world, was just wondering if anyone knew of a sticky or post on how to refinish or clean up something like that.

2) When I was pulling through the barrel I was getting more than just cosmoline. It really looked like there was some fouling and the patches were coming through black. Any chance these have been fired or test fired? Did anyone else have this?
    Mine has the same scratch area as yours. I think it might from storage. No big deal just part of the history of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Limason View Post
    How is the condition of your rifle? Year built?
    Looks like decent condition and I'm not sure about the year. To be honest all I did was open it up and then put it away. I couldn't be bothered dealing with the cosmoline at that time.