Thread: FAMAE SAF Replacement Magazines

Expired Business Member

FAMAE SAF Replacement Magazines

After a few years of being a shelved project, I've finally gotten around to designing FAMAE SAF replacement magazines.

Name:  SAF Magazine.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  134.9 KB

Until recently I haven't been able to find a material that would be suitable to use to make a 9mm magazine. But after working with some carbon fibre reinforced nylon while designing the Swiss Arms and FAMAE ACR stock adapters, I am quite confident that this material will offer better performance than the OEM polycarbonate magazines - I'll also be making my other magazines available in this material later this summer. If you want to see what this material can handle, you can watch a video of me testing the FAMAE stock adapter here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPHVklp1ag

Before you ask, I will not be doing a magazine adapter or magazine modifications for the LAR-15 9mm pistol magazines for this rifle. I'm not trying to run afoul of any laws by modifying pistol mags to work in a rifle instead of the other way around. I couldn't find a way to fit an adapter in the magazine well of the SAF that didn't require the magazines to be modified. I am aware that you can hold the pistol magazines in the magazine well and they will function somewhat, but will not lock in without cutting a groove in the back of the magazine. Sorry if anyone got their hopes up about that.

Anyways, I've put a couple thousand rounds through the current prototypes and am currently ready to send out some units for beta testing. There are a few requirements for being sent a test magazine however.

-You need to have a FAMAE SAF, SAF Mini, or SAF 200 in 9mm.
    -You need to be able to provide your own magazine spring. I have been working with springs taken out of the OEM 20 rounders and I don't have any extra ones to give away. If you have a broken 30 round magazine and kept it, the spring from that magazine can be cut down to function with these magazines. If you have a 20 round OEM FAMAE magazine, the spring from that will be a direct swap over. You can also use the spring out of a CZ Scorpion Evo 20 round magazine.
    -You need to use factory ammo. While reloads might function fine in your rifle, I'd ask that you use factory ammo only for the testing.

If you can show me that you meet those requirements and are willing to test these out and provide feedback, send me a PM or email me at alex@gsdesigns.ca and I'll ship you a magazine body free of charge.

Name:  SAF Mini.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  110.4 KB

A few more details:
    -They will be internally limited to 5 (unless someone with access to the FRT system can tell me there is a pistol version out there).
    -They are based off of the OEM FAMAE 20 round magazines, and will only be available in that size (my machine cannot physically print a magazine the length of the OEM 30 rounders).
    -They will be made using a carbon fibre reinforced nylon material
    -Price point will be $65-70 depending on how much the springs cost to manufacture.

Once the beta testing is done and if there is enough interest out there, I'll move forward with producing these.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Very cool!!!! Ki da wish I still had my Saf's kicking around now
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    No pistol versions exist. And the FRT wouldn't be a help to tell you one way or the other.

Limited to 5.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

I made one final buy from a company that supplied metal mags at outrageous prices.... I kept the receipt....just in case I ever consider doing any type of business with them again

Expired Business Member
    Update:

The first round of testing wasn't conclusive; most people couldn't get the right springs. I just got a batch of custom made springs in so this is happening one way or another.

I'm doing another limited round of testing. The testers will be sent a complete magazine. Contact me if you're interested.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Never did get the ones you sent.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Expired Business Member
    I didn't send out very many in the first round. If you contacted me and didn't have the right spring, you didn't get sent a mag.

I'm interested: pm inbound!
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

Expired Business Member
    Bump for more testers. Cutoff day to contact me is Thursday as I'm trying to get them all sent out by Friday.

PM or email is fine.