Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spectre 10/22 Chassis - In Production - Pre-Order Now for August Delivery

CGN Regular
    Thanks for all of the positive comments guys, I am very happy with this build it looks even better than I thought.

Parts list:

- Spectre Ballistics 10/22 chassis (includes threaded cross pin for trigger and take down bolt)

- Ruger BX Trigger
    - Ruger BX magazine (10 rnds, thanks RCMP)
    - TNA (True North Arms) mil spec buffer tube
    - TNA CNA brand castle nut
    - TNA enhanced pistol grip screw stainless
    - Magpul CTR Milspec AR15 stock (FDE)
    - Hogue overmold AR15 pistol grip

The following items are Dlask:

- Dar 22 cerakoted (FDE) barreled action 16.5" barrel w/XB5 brake/compensator. (~18.5" OAL)
    - 10/22 CNC stainless bolt
    - 10/22 blue buffer
    - 10/22 extended charging handle and spring set
    - 10/22 trigger group pins (Note: You only need one.
    Tristan tossed one in for me. Thanks!)

Yet to add:

Magpul MLOK bipod FDE
    Optic of some sort and mount or rings, if anyone has some suggestions for something that is a nice quality optic that's a bit tactical looking and maybe has drop compensation for rimfire and is at least 3-9 zoom and isn't crazy priced let me know. I'm not really up on rimfire optics.

I will update this post with some more thoughts and observations tomorrow when I have more time. Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Thoughts and observations:

Spectre chassis - Very nicely made, as previously mentioned some small machining marks can be seen but they are very minor and the overall finish is well done, anodizing looks great. size and shape of the chassis seems to be excellent, I did find my Burris PEPR mount and Bushnell AR223 scope combo to sit too high for a good cheek weld on the Magpul stock, hopefully I can find a lower scope mount setup with whatever scope I end up using.

I like the card board tube packaging great idea. Also pleased that most of the mounting hardware is included, perhaps in the future the 2nd trigger pin and possibly a pistol grip screw could be included along with the chassis to avoid people forgetting these items.

I also had a VERY tight fit of the take down bolt, so much so that the bolt actually created partial threads in the chassis and I had to be extremely careful not to cross thread this bolt. I am not sure who this issue is on Spectre or Dlask but the rear cross pin hole lined up perfectly, so someone is out of spec. I plan to very lightly file this hole just to remove the cut threads so the bolt slides through smoothly. The buffer tube was also a pain to install and keep perfectly square with the chassis when tightening the castle nut, I don't know what could be done about this but it was a bit frustrating.

Dlask DAR-22 Barreled action/bolt, etc - Finish on these parts are also top notch, all the machining looks great (though cerakote will hide more flaws than anodize alone) cerakote finish it also very nice, really like the FDE on this. The downside I have found to this part is fitment with the cerakote, all of the internal tolerances on this receiver are very tight and the addition of the cerakote (note this was bought with coating direct from Dlask) has made things even tighter. I had a heck of a time trying to get the bolt in past the internal guide rail as the opening was almost a press fit to pop it through, the action of the bolt was also very tight once assembled, we lubed the heck out of it (read literally dripping wet) to get it to start sliding and had to cycle it 50 or so times to get it freed up and moving. Over time I believe these issues will get better and better as the cerakote wears off a bit. Otherwise all was good other than I had actually ordered a black charging handle and got sent a blue one. I contacted Dlask and they are sending me the correct black one as well.

I have previously read about issues with CCI ammo and the Dlask DAR 22 barrels but since my other 22s really seem to like CCI standard and the fine folks at Magdump got me a fantastic deal on a whole pile of it I used it anyway. At the beginning we had a few fail to feeds and one round got jammed into the action sideways but after a few magazines of slower rate fire the action freed up a bit better and I don't believe we had any issues after that.

Overall I'm very pleased with this build and it was a lot of fun and great that I could get the build done with my brother while he was visiting me for the weekend. This is my first 10/22 and I had never previously looked into them before, I just saw this chassis come out and thought it might be fun to build something and so I did, I was pretty amazed that I could basically build the entire rifle NOT using any Ruger parts, I ended up going with Ruger's BX trigger assembly to save some cost over a KIDD or other high dollar trigger asm but I am happy with the BX trigger, its pretty good for the money.

The weight of this rifle build is not light so holding it freehand for extended amounts of time would not be a lot of fun, but I intend to use a bi-pod with it anyway so its of no concern to me. Once I get my optic sorted out I will gladly post up some targets. During initial testing/sight in from my rest I was able to shoot 5 rounds right into the same hole at 25 yards, all it did was open it up slightly, I was very pleased with this and experienced similar results at 50 yards but I did not have my scope fully sighted in as I didn't intend to use it on this rifle (see cheek weld comment above).
    Last edited by Fastxr; 08-16-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Forgot grip screw info, added comments

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    Just a quick comment regarding the DAR-22 clearance issues.

We designed the chassis around the factory action. Should a manufacturer make a 10/22 action with a different footprint we can't guarantee fitment. Also, we will be manufacturing 10/22 actions our selves soon, so stay tuned.

Our very first 3d print of the chassis was designed to fit a Tactical Innovations CH22.

CGN Regular
    Comments/observations updated in post 41 above.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
    Just a quick comment regarding the DAR-22 clearance issues.

We designed the chassis around the factory action. Should a manufacturer make a 10/22 action with a different footprint we can't guarantee fitment. Also, we will be manufacturing 10/22 actions our selves soon, so stay tuned.

Our very first 3d print of the chassis was designed to fit a Tactical Innovations CH22.
    Well that's good news too. All the options available are awesome for the rimfire world. Might just have to keep my stock 10/22 stock and run complete aftermarket for this great chassis!
    ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345