Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 61618192021222324252627282930313233343646 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk180-c feedback

I haven't shot mine yet, but I am very impressed with the design and quality of build. I have two very minor comments:

1. I wish the safety switch was a bit more "ergonomic", i.e., a little bigger. And I don't know if it's possible to remove the switch on one side. I'm right handed and I find that the switch on the right side of the rifle gets in the way a tiny bit.

2. I absolutely love the handguard, but wish it was a couple of inches longer. It would be nice if Wolverine/Kodiak produced a longer aftermarket handguard for those who want them. If know there are plenty of longer aftermarket AR handguards but it would be nice to have one the same design as the original.

Has anyone had any ammo problems? I bought a bunch of federal .223 from Cabelas on special and hope itll work out. My buddy said that ammo isn't that great in his Tavor.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deathrawt's Avatar
    Mine doesn't like the reloaded stuff from can am, mind you my $2000 m16 don't like it either so I'm not going to blame the gun

Quote Originally Posted by jammieappleseed View Post
    Has anyone had any ammo problems? I bought a bunch of federal .223 from Cabelas on special and hope itll work out. My buddy said that ammo isn't that great in his Tavor.
    I'm using the 1000 round bulk pack and had no issues at all. Saved the brass. Thinking about starting to reload just to save $$$
    CCFR & CPC Member "The West wants out" WEXIT

I had a few days to play around and shoot my WK180 and these are my biggest criticisms so far:

- Gas plug
    It's a real pain to reinstall the gas plug under spring pressure while trying to keep everything aligned under the the handguard. A longer plug that pokes out of the handguard (and maybe a knurled end to hand tighten) would solve the issue quickly.

- Bolt handle
    The charging handle is a little sloppy and the magnet fell out of the end. I contacted Kodiak but I was hoping for a tighter fit of the component. It's not a deal breaker, especially at the price point though and still functions fine

-Ammo issues

Out of a few different ammo brands, the only one that has given me issues is the Independence 5.56. It would fail to eject the spent cartridge and try to cycle the next one which would lead to a double feed. This led to all sorts of funky malfunctions to clear including having a casing get stuck between the guide rods. The issue only happened with the Independence ammo and stopped the moment anything else was used

-Ejection

Spent cases would eject at a clean 3 o'clock angle. I wish some sort of case deflector was machined in the upper to prevent brass kisses everywhere but this is a minor detail and for a $1000 rifle, I'm quite pleased with it nonetheless

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canadaboi View Post
    I had a few days to play around and shoot my WK180 and these are my biggest criticisms so far:

- Gas plug
    It's a real pain to reinstall the gas plug under spring pressure while trying to keep everything aligned under the the handguard. A longer plug that pokes out of the handguard (and maybe a knurled end to hand tighten) would solve the issue quickly.

- Bolt handle
    The charging handle is a little sloppy and the magnet fell out of the end. I contacted Kodiak but I was hoping for a tighter fit of the component. It's not a deal breaker, especially at the price point though and still functions fine

-Ammo issues

Out of a few different ammo brands, the only one that has given me issues is the Independence 5.56. It would fail to eject the spent cartridge and try to cycle the next one which would lead to a double feed. This led to all sorts of funky malfunctions to clear including having a casing get stuck between the guide rods. The issue only happened with the Independence ammo and stopped the moment anything else was used

-Ejection

Spent cases would eject at a clean 3 o'clock angle. I wish some sort of case deflector was machined in the upper to prevent brass kisses everywhere but this is a minor detail and for a $1000 rifle, I'm quite pleased with it nonetheless
    Did you get in early on the pre-orders? Is there the possibility that some of the issues have been rectified since your rifle was produced? I ask because I only just put in my pre-order recently........I'm hoping for a miracle by the time I receive mine. (Yes, I've read lots of the negative reviews but lots of positive ones as well.)

Happy shooting!

I have some new feedback to add. Ran some Barnaul lacquered steel through mine. While it was fine for me being right handed, my father in law, being a lefty, was catching them right in the check. Didn’t seem to be an issue with other ammo. Maybe a brass deflector is is the rifles future.
    A fear of weapons from 80's action movies, not logic, created the disaster that is our firearms act.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELCITYSLICKER View Post
    Did you get in early on the pre-orders? Is there the possibility that some of the issues have been rectified since your rifle was produced? I ask because I only just put in my pre-order recently........I'm hoping for a miracle by the time I receive mine. (Yes, I've read lots of the negative reviews but lots of positive ones as well.)

Happy shooting!
    I ordered on the 3rd day direct from Wolverine (after the initial run of 1000 but my rifle SN is in the 800 range). Although I listed my criticisms, I am still very pleased with the quality of the rifle. The machining was very good, there is very little slop or rattle in the rifle (to the point it's barely worth mentioning), the anodizing is excellent and there are aftermarket options to solve almost every issue I have. At a grand, it's a tough price to beat and it functioned perfectly with every other ammo I ran through it other than Independence. I can't comment on the accuracy as I haven't done any such testing myself yet but others have and it has shown promising results

I just took the charging handle out of mine to see if the magnet was there or not because it was just floating in the receiver with no retention. Sure enough it’s gone. No marks from being staked in. I emailed Kodiak, awaiting there response within a few days.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I've got a magnet still in my rifles handle ...but not holding much..this is causing the receivers to get mangled?
    Charging handle is bouncing around..
    a new system is needed