Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 71719202122232425262728293031323334353747 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk180-c feedback

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    I've got a magnet still in my rifles handle ...but not holding much..this is causing the receivers to get mangled?
    Charging handle is bouncing around..
    a new system is needed
    I’m afraid to shoot mine with the charging handle bouncing around like that.

I wouldnt shoot it if the charging handle is missing the magnet that hold its in.
    Someone stop the planet and let me off for awhile. I need a break from all this stupidity!!! - posted by Northern Amateur

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalSparky25 View Post
    I wouldnt shoot it if the charging handle is missing the magnet that hold its in.
    Didn't Wolverine indicate they made a change and eliminated the magnet after a number were produced. It may not need a magnet now. I do remember them mentioning it. Not going to go back through all the different threads to look for that info though. Figured Wolverine would be chiming in by now on this issue...
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    Didn't Wolverine indicate they made a change and eliminated the magnet after a number were produced. It may not need a magnet now. I do remember them mentioning it. Not going to go back through all the different threads to look for that info though. Figured Wolverine would be chiming in by now on this issue...
    We are now back at work after the holidays.

I would like to confirm that all WK180-C charging handles are fitted with a magnet that is staked in two spots. If your charging handle is missing the magnet, is loose or not staked please contact Service@Kodiakdefence.com so they can remedy the issue.

If I remember correctly the only change the was made in regard to the magnet was that the first ones were a little larger and a press fit in a blind hole. This was quickly changed to a smaller diameter magnet which was staked in place. The hole is no longer a blind hole to facilitate easier replacement of the magnet if required.

These rifles are safe to shoot with no magnet, it is simply installed to reduce wear on the receiver rail.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

I would like to confirm that all WK180-C charging handles are fitted with a magnet that is staked in two spots. If your charging handle is missing the magnet, is loose or not staked please contact Service@Kodiakdefence.com so they can remedy the issue.

If I remember correctly the only change the was made in regard to the magnet was that the first ones were a little larger and a press fit in a blind hole. This was quickly changed to a smaller diameter magnet which was staked in place. The hole is no longer a blind hole to facilitate easier replacement of the magnet if required.

These rifles are safe to shoot with no magnet, it is simply installed to reduce wear on the receiver rail.
    Hi Wolverine,

As you are nearing in on the first 1000 rifles produced, I was thinking it might be nice if you were willing to provide a consolidated list of design updates/improvements that have been included thus far. I Was late the the pre-order but was satisfied knowing that many bi or small design or manufacturing issues would be worked out long before I got mine.

As many of us have been waiting with baited breath, and have been reading many reviews, good and bad, I think it would be reassuring to know what modifications have been made on the production line to resolve many of these issues so the guns going into the box today are that much better. Many of these improvements have already been disclosed, so more looking for a single post with a consolidated list.

IE, guns today are chambered for 5.56,
    Small magnets that are staked,
    I believe you said something about the cocking handles having a different retention washer with tighter tolerance?
    I'm sure there might have been a few others.

I am still really looking forward to receiving my two 180s I ordered. Keep up the great work.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

Thanks for replying. I knew there was a change just couldn't remember what exactly it was. Thanks for confirming.
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

I had mine out for the first time this morning. Received mid-December. Serial CA-0726-18

The gun itself:

I am a big fan of the grey finish and find the whole gun cosmetically well done. The machining is free of tool marks and the fit between the upper and lower is good. There is some wobble but this is approximate to any AR I've ever owned.

Accuracy:

No real testing was done in this regard - I was shooting using Magpul Pro backups at 25 resting on the magazine. I'll throw a bipod on at a later time and do some serious accuracy evaluation.

Reliability:

Mechanical reliability was flawless over approx 200 rounds fired. Ejection was to 3 o'clock and the rounds didn't fly an extraordinary distance despite some reporting here that the gun is overgassed. I did not get that impression at all. The bolt locked back 100% of the time. I was using gen 2 30 rd PMAGS, gen 3 20 rd PMAGS and the Hera Arms magazines included with the rifle. Ammunition was my own reloads - 20.7gr of H322 with a 55gr bullet and an aggressive collet crimp. All primer strikes observed were firm hits. No pierced primers were observed. Brass marks as expected are present behind the ejection port.

The gun was lubricated with a white lithium grease in the channels the bolt carrier rides in and along the surfaces that contact the charging handle as it reciprocates.

Gripes:

The charging handle retention system does not inspire confidence. The charging handle can be pulled away from the bolt carrier with ease. I am of course concerned about the upper getting battered by a loose component, but I have observed no concerning wear in the upper after the first 200 rounds. I will monitor it closely, but will cross my fingers that an aftermarket solution will appear for those who want more positive retention.

Summary of feedback to Wolverine & Kodiak:

Well done overall. There are of course many things that I'd change here and there but not at this price point. The charging handle is all that I really don't like.

I had mine out yesterday for the second time. I've only shot roughly 60 rounds through it so far. Serial CA-0089-18

Feels solid, little wobble, I love the simplicity of it.

I tested x3 different types of metal LAR mags and they all cycled flawlessly with FMJ ammo. Pmags cycled fine too.

Cycled great with PMC FMJ, Rem FMJ and green tip FMJ

It didn't like Hollow point rounds, they would get jammed up going into the barrel. Anyone else having problems with HP ammo?
    EE Ads: $100 insurance will be included on every packaged I ship. Additional insurance is optional for the buyer to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    Hi Wolverine,

As you are nearing in on the first 1000 rifles produced, I was thinking it might be nice if you were willing to provide a consolidated list of design updates/improvements that have been included thus far. I Was late the the pre-order but was satisfied knowing that many bi or small design or manufacturing issues would be worked out long before I got mine.

As many of us have been waiting with baited breath, and have been reading many reviews, good and bad, I think it would be reassuring to know what modifications have been made on the production line to resolve many of these issues so the guns going into the box today are that much better. Many of these improvements have already been disclosed, so more looking for a single post with a consolidated list.

IE, guns today are chambered for 5.56,
    Small magnets that are staked,
    I believe you said something about the cocking handles having a different retention washer with tighter tolerance?
    I'm sure there might have been a few others.

I am still really looking forward to receiving my two 180s I ordered. Keep up the great work.
    I too second this notion. Would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    I had mine out for the first time this morning. Received mid-December. Serial CA-0726-18

The gun itself:

I am a big fan of the grey finish and find the whole gun cosmetically well done. The machining is free of tool marks and the fit between the upper and lower is good. There is some wobble
    You can eliminate the wobble with a 1/2" ID 5/8" OD 1/16" thick rubber washer around the lug on the bottom of the upper receiver. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by Baitcaster; 01-15-2019 at 06:28 PM.