Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk180-c feedback

I got mine yesterday. Planning to shoot tomorrow but shooting, outside of work required LEO training (yay! Free bullets), is mostly a winter sport for me. It’s hard to justify a trip to the range when there’s good mountain biking weather.

Anyways, I’ve owned an AR180b and also the Jard 48 - The later is basically an attempt at a DI AR18. My observations on build quality for the WK180-C is that it exceeds both in materials and machining. I’m sufficiently amazed this rifle is less then 1K!

One thing to note about the WK180 is that the two rails the bolt rides on seem to be much thicker and flex less then the JARD 48. Maybe that was the JARD 48’s downfall, or maybe it was the cam timing - I’m not sure. I don’t remember the rails of my long gone AR180b.

The WK180 gas plug was a bit of a fiddlie to get in. I was worried about crossthreading due to the fact downward pressure needs to be applied as it’s turned to tighten. With care I got it back in correctly - I’m not sure I’ll clean the gas system much.

Does anyone have any tips to remove the gas components and to reduce my mild concern?

The design is brilliant tho!

Some questions:

1. The Selector is marked “s” and “r” . Does the “R” stand for repeat?

2. My serial number is 0XX-18. Does the 18 stand for the model?

3. I’m not used to a complicated barrel break in. If I don’t follow the procedures am I going to get a pie plate shooter? Or are we talking about going from a 1.5” maximum potential accuracy to 2-3”? - not a big deal to me.

4. The rail to stock alignment seems more like the flat top of a C8 - thus it seems like low profile sights like a T1 would be difficult to tuck into without a riser. Are people generally in agreement that a AR15 optic would be better suited? Or a T1 with a riser? I’ve got an eotech on it now but not sure I’ll keep it that way.

A friend told me R stands for repetition, or repeat, yeah. However, Ross rifles and 1903s are marked "Safe" and "Ready" so I'd like to think that's what it means.

mine is similarly marked in the serial.

barrel "break in" is just to get a decent layer of copper fouling on the inside of your bore. It aids in cleaning. it's totally optional. I have rifles that shoot 1/2" that I have never cleaned after 1000 rounds.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
    I got mine yesterday. Planning to shoot tomorrow but shooting, outside of work required LEO training (yay! Free bullets), is mostly a winter sport for me. It’s hard to justify a trip to the range when there’s good mountain biking weather.

Anyways, I’ve owned an AR180b and also the Jard 48 - The later is basically an attempt at a DI AR18. My observations on build quality for the WK180-C is that it exceeds both in materials and machining. I’m sufficiently amazed this rifle is less then 1K!

One thing to note about the WK180 is that the two rails the bolt rides on seem to be much thicker and flex less then the JARD 48. Maybe that was the JARD 48’s downfall, or maybe it was the cam timing - I’m not sure. I don’t remember the rails of my long gone AR180b.

The WK180 gas plug was a bit of a fiddlie to get in. I was worried about crossthreading due to the fact downward pressure needs to be applied as it’s turned to tighten. With care I got it back in correctly - I’m not sure I’ll clean the gas system much.

Does anyone have any tips to remove the gas components and to reduce my mild concern?

The design is brilliant tho!

Some questions:

1. The Selector is marked “s” and “r” . Does the “R” stand for repeat?

2. My serial number is 0XX-18. Does the 18 stand for the model?

3. I’m not used to a complicated barrel break in. If I don’t follow the procedures am I going to get a pie plate shooter? Or are we talking about going from a 1.5” maximum potential accuracy to 2-3”? - not a big deal to me.

4. The rail to stock alignment seems more like the flat top of a C8 - thus it seems like low profile sights like a T1 would be difficult to tuck into without a riser. Are people generally in agreement that a AR15 optic would be better suited? Or a T1 with a riser? I’ve got an eotech on it now but not sure I’ll keep it that way.
    The 18 is probably year of manufacture since CA would be Canada.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    This is a concern from my perspective. I hope this issue is addressed by the time I get mine, otherwise I am going to be disappointed if I receive mine and this is the case. The fact guns are still being sent out with this glaring issue not changed is concerning. Or do we need to have it addressed by warranty?
    Relax. I was intentionally trying to see if it had any bearing on accuracy and under normal shooting conditions you would never be exerting this much pressure on it. I believe with a smaller gas block group sizes would improve. As far as warranty this is NOT a warranty problem

This rifle is very well built, very easy to take down and clean and is a bargain at a 1000 bucks. For anyone sitting on the fence about buying one, I wouldn’t hesitate. I own 1 and the second one should be here shortly. At first I thought I may sell one but am thinking now I will keep it for my wife.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
    Relax. I was intentionally trying to see if it had any bearing on accuracy and under normal shooting conditions you would never be exerting this much pressure on it. I believe with a smaller gas block group sizes would improve. As far as warranty this is NOT a warranty problem

This rifle is very well built, very easy to take down and clean and is a bargain at a 1000 bucks. For anyone sitting on the fence about buying one, I wouldn’t hesitate. I own 1 and the second one should be here shortly. At first I thought I may sell one but am thinking now I will keep it for my wife.
    Yet others have indicated it is touching on theirs. So where does it stand? Would be nice to get feedback on this from Wolverine but they seem to be silent on the matter.
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

This is a concern from my perspective. I hope this issue is addressed by the time I get mine, otherwise I am going to be disappointed if I receive mine and this is the case. The fact guns are still being sent out with this glaring issue not changed is concerning. Or do we need to have it addressed by warranty?
    My rifle has an interference fit between the hand guard and the gas block hexnut used for disassembly of the gas system. The interference is slight but if I press the barrel down, from the top of the handguard, I can create clearance between the two and turn the knurled screw by hand. The bag of parts is reported to contain a replacement gas block hex screw. I noticed the screw in the parts bag appears to lack a cap with shoulder. The hex top on the replacement screw is simply the diameter of the threaded portion.

I don’t have the expertise to explain this but it looks as if the additional replacement part would solve the interference issue. If the interference is even an issue.

Well hopefully it won't be an issue on the one I get. Will just have to wait and see I guess.
    I expect there would be less influence on groupings, from a slight interference fit on a gas block, then any non DI gun (bolt guns being the exception).

The next runner up to the WK-18 would be the Mini-14 - of those, I’ve owned two. Both had been acceptable by my standards: 2-4” at 100 yards. Those will run about $1k.

I dont think the interference fit will be much of an issue in accuracy compared to some of the factors of the design and it’s intent.- it is not a match rifle.

If your looking for a target rifle, or even AR15 (free float barrel) accuracy, I’d say the light barrel profile will be a factor. So will the trigger.

CGN Regular
    Got my wk180c yesterday. Haven't fired it yet, but here are my quick observations:

Rifle is nicely built, felt balanced, good fit and finish. Take down is easy, access to gas piston is easy too with a 1/4 hex key. Front pin is held in by a c-clip, needed c-clip pliers to take it out. I wish they made it captive pin, but for the cost I'm not complaining. There's a bit of wiggle between upper and lower, not a big deal for a plinking rifle. If I ever get a match barrel down the road then I'll probably look into tightening up the upper/lower fit.

No problem with taking out handguard screws, 3mm hex key and mine didn't have any loktite on them. Handguard was on pretty tight so I didn't attempt to take it off.

Muzzle device was on very tight, had to take it to gun smith today to clamp it in a barrel vise to take off.

My trigger is very heavy and gritty, maybe that would improve with time.

Both Hera mags came with the rifle dropped free.

I put on a magpul ctr stock, for some reason it's a bit loose on the buffer tube even after I locked the stock in place.

I put an A2 stock on mine with some ####ty sights off a Turkish shortgun. Zeroed at 50 and fire some rounds through a pmag without issue. I wanted a cheap nr blaster and this filled that role. I have a couple high end Ars, modern varminter, slr builds and this is not close to any of those. As long as you have realistic expectations I think you'll be happy.

I am going back through this thread and deleting any comments that are not direct feed back from owners, not because I have anything to hide but rather I am trying to keep this thread on track with first hand reports. We have another thread for ETA questions and another for Technical questions.

The question of hand guard clearance with the gas block has been raised. As I previously stated I had expected a larger clearance but even "as is" three shot sub MOA groups are achievably. We will be looking into the possibility of increasing this clearance but not for at least the first 1,000 units as parts have already been manufactured. If you have a problem with the "clearance" on your rifle please submit a warranty claim direct to Kodiak and each claim will be looked at on a case by case basis.