CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1929313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 420

Thread: Wk180-c feedback

  1. #381
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLaidlaw View Post
    Hey guys,

    Can someone point me to internal upgrades for the WK?
    Ive seen RWA's parts, i will most likely purchase the cam pin if mine appears to be rough.

    What i cant seem to find are springs, as i do not know the exact specs i am looking for.

    Thanks!


    -Robbie L
    Not sure if I can post a link on Wolverine's forum, so I'll just mention the Calgary Shooting Centre sells an RWA WK parts kit.

  2. #382
    Newbie RobbieLaidlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    21
    I received my rifle last night. Version '3' with the Threaded handle. High serial number, over 2k.

    Initial Impressions:

    It looks great, the finish is nice. Came with two Pmag's and the CRT stock.

    I was surprised as to how easy it was to take apart. Everyone complaining about difficult takedown either has weak hands, no tools, or perhaps Kodiak has fixed this.

    The trigger does not feel as bad as people say. Mine is around 8 pounds.

    The wiggle between the receivers was far less than what i was expecting. Multiple members have been complaining about the wiggle, but honestly its hardly any wiggle.
    I did use the o-ring to eliminate all wiggle, it is now extremely tight and zero movement.

    The hand guard is beautiful and light. Love it.

    All of my 1913 attachments fit perfectly fine.

    I really do not like the grip at all. Its the worst. Thankfully its extremely cheap to upgrade.

    Things i'll look out for:

    Today, 150 rounds of 55g winchester FMJ will be sent through. I am going to do the recommended break in. I will write an update post as to how it goes.

    I am curious how well the charging handle threads will keep together after multiple tightenings/removals.

    There is a new muzzle break on its way to me, i am curious how difficult it will be to remove the stock muzzle break.

    I have one metal pistol mag, i will be testing it and will report back.

    An accuracy test will be held tonight.

    Upgrades:

    The very minimal play from the receivers has already been removed, as mentioned above.

    I have a G2s in the mail, it will be installed for my next outing.

    I have already put a new stock on, very easy, love to keep it light.

    I do own multiple hand-guards, but i love the stock one and most likely will never attempt to remove the stock guard, all of the fasteners on the guard are very tight.

    An AR15 extractor spring will be installed.

    Multiple pistol mags will be used.

    :Conclusion
    I am very impressed with what i've received for the price. The only other AR i have used extensive was the C7 carbine, which cost double the price.
    The C7 is beautiful and accurate. This is nothing like it. However, this rifle is everything you could ask for in a cheap Canadian made, Non-Restricto AR.

    Functional review is next.



    -Robbie L

  3. #383
    Member nelsonm64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Kelowna, B.C.
    Posts
    87
    I was so excited when I received my WK. took her to the range and, after 50 rounds or so the bolt carrier broke. Kodiak took care of it! thx Kodiak! so, I get it out, put 100 rounds down range and it ran great. well, one FTE. no biggie I thought... today I go to the range ran 20 rounds through it and after that I was getting more FTE's. had a look and found one of the lugs broke off the bolt face! (just can't win) I'm not sure if it's a different bolt than the original as I sent in the bolt and carrier.. when I first got it back it looked like a complete new unit, not 100% sure though.

    emailed Own this morning and am waiting for a reply. the carrier issue seems fairly common due to the nitriding (spelling?) of the carrier. is this bolt issue common? or am I just super unlucky? im sure Kodiak will send me a new bolt but, geez this is frustrating...

  4. #384
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    0
    I purchased my WK-180C from a local shop last Saturday (7/6/2019, put down a deposit with them in February). Has a serial number higher than the recall for the bolt so hopefully that won't be a problem.

    I've only done the barrel break in at this point, with a couple more groups for fun. Roughly 70 rounds. A mix of Federal .223, Federal XM193, Federal XM855, and PPU M193. No issues so far, the scuffing from shell casings has started already but my 3d printed shell deflector is now here so I'll try that out the next time.

    Important Notes:
    -Bolt has the screw type charging handle. Great!
    -Play between upper and lower is very minimal, could be eliminated with an O-ring as others have mentioned but I don't care to.
    -Hand guard screws are in so tight I started bending my hex-head tool and decided to stop trying to remove them, not a huge deal as I was able to take the gas piston out for cleaning without removing the hand guard.
    -Gas tube screw was in very tight, but I was able to get it out with some leverage. The spring does not come out with the piston without taking the hand guard off. I'm sure you can finesse it out. I had to use a small hex-head tool to help guide the spring and rod back in when re-assembling.
    -Trigger feels fine, I'm new to firearms and have minimal experience firing an SKS, henry lever action .22, winchester 94 30-30, and an Enfield .303. Doesn't bother me at all.
    -Safety is easy to use, sometimes I flick it on the right side with my index finger, sometimes I use my thumb on the left side.
    -Not sure on the brand of stock I received, but it's lovely.
    -Came with one CProducts Defense 5/30 round magazine. Fits loose compared to my CProducts Defense Lar-15 pistol mags. But both types worked fine for my testing.
    -Magazine shoots out quite nicely under spring tension when the release is pressed.
    -No problems with over-insertion, I don't slam my magazines in. I guide them in and then push firmly. When it clicks in I stop and give it a yank to ensure it doesn't fall out.
    -It did not come with a warranty card, just a sticker. The plastic folder thing inside the box looks unopened and I've left it that way as proof there was no warranty card in there. The shop said they will take care of the warranty so long as I keep my receipt from them.

    I didn't know a lot about the AR-180 platform before, other than this was my way to get an inexpensive non-restricted ar-like platform that I can take out and shoot cans with, or take to the range, or bring to the gunsmith whenever I want, that hopefully wont be banned anytime soon.

    The more I learn the more appreciative I am of this rifle. The AR-18 was designed to be a cheaper, easier to manufacture rifle. Less developed allied countries could do most of the manufacturing domestically due to minimal machining cuts required (for eg. the bolt rides the rods containing the recoil springs, eliminating the need for slots to be machined in the receiver). For whatever reason, be it pride or coincidence, it wasn't widely adopted. Simply because it is less popular, it was never banned or restricted by name here in Canada. And thanks to Wolverine and Kodiak we have a modernized and quite frankly superior version of the AR-180 available here.
    It's a unicorn gun.
    If you have your restricted you sure can get a superior AR. As an individual gun it isn't the greatest. But as a whole this is exactly what Canada needed in my opinion.

    Personally I feel I own a superior firearm to an AR-15. In theory, as a platform, it should be just as reliable if not more-so than an AR-15 of comparable quality (due to piston operation and not gas impingement alone, though this is said to negatively affect accuracy minimally so there is a tradeoff). It'll run cooler due to the piston. Wolverine-Kodiak has made it accept as many AR parts as possible so the market availability isn't as much of an issue as an older AR-180(B). It's easy to takedown and clean. It accepts any optic or rail attachment you could want. And it's truly Canadian.

    Glad to be a part of the process, the rifle is continually improving as the serial numbers go up. For me the wait was worth it.

  5. #385
    Member Mr.Subzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Winter wonderland
    Posts
    87

    AR almost, feels hell yeah!

    Quote Originally Posted by FenixPK View Post
    I purchased my WK-180C from a local shop last Saturday (7/6/2019, put down a deposit with them in February). Has a serial number higher than the recall for the bolt so hopefully that won't be a problem.

    I've only done the barrel break in at this point, with a couple more groups for fun. Roughly 70 rounds. A mix of Federal .223, Federal XM193, Federal XM855, and PPU M193. No issues so far, the scuffing from shell casings has started already but my 3d printed shell deflector is now here so I'll try that out the next time.

    Important Notes:
    -Bolt has the screw type charging handle. Great!
    -Play between upper and lower is very minimal, could be eliminated with an O-ring as others have mentioned but I don't care to.
    -Hand guard screws are in so tight I started bending my hex-head tool and decided to stop trying to remove them, not a huge deal as I was able to take the gas piston out for cleaning without removing the hand guard.
    -Gas tube screw was in very tight, but I was able to get it out with some leverage. The spring does not come out with the piston without taking the hand guard off. I'm sure you can finesse it out. I had to use a small hex-head tool to help guide the spring and rod back in when re-assembling.
    -Trigger feels fine, I'm new to firearms and have minimal experience firing an SKS, henry lever action .22, winchester 94 30-30, and an Enfield .303. Doesn't bother me at all.
    -Safety is easy to use, sometimes I flick it on the right side with my index finger, sometimes I use my thumb on the left side.
    -Not sure on the brand of stock I received, but it's lovely.
    -Came with one CProducts Defense 5/30 round magazine. Fits loose compared to my CProducts Defense Lar-15 pistol mags. But both types worked fine for my testing.
    -Magazine shoots out quite nicely under spring tension when the release is pressed.
    -No problems with over-insertion, I don't slam my magazines in. I guide them in and then push firmly. When it clicks in I stop and give it a yank to ensure it doesn't fall out.
    -It did not come with a warranty card, just a sticker. The plastic folder thing inside the box looks unopened and I've left it that way as proof there was no warranty card in there. The shop said they will take care of the warranty so long as I keep my receipt from them.

    I didn't know a lot about the AR-180 platform before, other than this was my way to get an inexpensive non-restricted ar-like platform that I can take out and shoot cans with, or take to the range, or bring to the gunsmith whenever I want, that hopefully wont be banned anytime soon.

    The more I learn the more appreciative I am of this rifle. The AR-18 was designed to be a cheaper, easier to manufacture rifle. Less developed allied countries could do most of the manufacturing domestically due to minimal machining cuts required (for eg. the bolt rides the rods containing the recoil springs, eliminating the need for slots to be machined in the receiver). For whatever reason, be it pride or coincidence, it wasn't widely adopted. Simply because it is less popular, it was never banned or restricted by name here in Canada. And thanks to Wolverine and Kodiak we have a modernized and quite frankly superior version of the AR-180 available here.
    It's a unicorn gun.
    If you have your restricted you sure can get a superior AR. As an individual gun it isn't the greatest. But as a whole this is exactly what Canada needed in my opinion.

    Personally I feel I own a superior firearm to an AR-15. In theory, as a platform, it should be just as reliable if not more-so than an AR-15 of comparable quality (due to piston operation and not gas impingement alone, though this is said to negatively affect accuracy minimally so there is a tradeoff). It'll run cooler due to the piston. Wolverine-Kodiak has made it accept as many AR parts as possible so the market availability isn't as much of an issue as an older AR-180(B). It's easy to takedown and clean. It accepts any optic or rail attachment you could want. And it's truly Canadian.

    Glad to be a part of the process, the rifle is continually improving as the serial numbers go up. For me the wait was worth it.
    Yeah! For the price and non restricted I say it is worth it! My friends going to flip and I hope they have bullets, for sure they gonna want to shoot my unicorn rifle.

  6. #386
    Newbie RobbieLaidlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    21
    Hey guys, this is a warning or at least some info and experience about using the 'Upper/Lower play issue fix'.

    I found a perfectly sized O-ring in the garage and put it where recommended, it worked great (zero play) for about 400 rounds before the ring broke.

    The problem: The area right above the location i fitted my O-ring to seemed to have a lot more wear than the rest of the upper. Specifically, where the BCG rides (top and bottom). Of course, like any other WK, the cam pin grinds a small portion of the upper, not enough on my rifle to even care. The wear on my rifle is very small compared to others i have seen. (This shows Kodiak making improvements, well done Kodiak).

    Anyways, i believe by raising the upper ever so slightly via an O-ring, the BCG does not have the perfect clearance it would have, had the upper been in its original position i.e. slightly lower (The height of the O-ring to be exact). Because of this, the bottom of my BCG, and right where the bottom of the BCG meets with the aluminum above the O-ring is ground down quite a bit. Theres also very minimal wear (finish scratches) on the inner-top of the receiver where the BCG rides, exclusively above the part where the O-ring is placed.

    I decided not to replace the broken O-ring with a new one and just live with the slight wiggle. I imagine this will also make cycles more smooth because the bottom of the BCG wont be hitting the aluminum so hard (not that i had an issue with rough cycles, just an idea).

    On a side note: I have had little to no problems with my rifle after 500 rounds. However, coincidentally or not, at the same time my O-ring broke, before i could remove the O-ring i had a problem depressing the take down 'button'. It was extremely stiff and would not move at all. This was post range day where i really tried to put the rifle through its paces, firing rapidly, getting it quite hot etc.

    I have no proof to believe this is the sole cause, but i suspect the reason i couldn't press the recoil springs in was because the O-ring was holding the upper too high and made it so the plate that the recoil springs sit in became jammed in the receiver.
    I have read somewhere of someone else having a problem with taking down the rifle because of a stuck plate, however i do not recall them giving much detail, they just blamed Kodiak.
    The remedy was a tinsmith hammer lightly tapping the recoil spring plate until it was in far enough that i could separate the upper/lower.
    Even after i separated the upper/lower, the plate remained jammed inside of the upper. I have photos of it stuck in there if anyone is interested. I got the plate out by tapping the back of it.

    On a side-side note: After removing the O-ring, i have also noticed a reduction in the amount of brass residue inside the receiver. I am not sure why this is, i might be wrong about this seeing as i've only fired ~100 rounds since removing the O-ring.

    My rifle has been running fine ever since. If anyone has any extra info, or corrections about my experience id appreciate the insight. Thanks guys.


    -Robbie L

  7. #387
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLaidlaw View Post
    Hey guys, this is a warning or at least some info and experience about using the 'Upper/Lower play issue fix'.

    I found a perfectly sized O-ring in the garage and put it where recommended, it worked great (zero play) for about 400 rounds before the ring broke.

    The problem: The area right above the location i fitted my O-ring to seemed to have a lot more wear than the rest of the upper. Specifically, where the BCG rides (top and bottom). Of course, like any other WK, the cam pin grinds a small portion of the upper, not enough on my rifle to even care. The wear on my rifle is very small compared to others i have seen. (This shows Kodiak making improvements, well done Kodiak).

    Anyways, i believe by raising the upper ever so slightly via an O-ring, the BCG does not have the perfect clearance it would have, had the upper been in its original position i.e. slightly lower (The height of the O-ring to be exact). Because of this, the bottom of my BCG, and right where the bottom of the BCG meets with the aluminum above the O-ring is ground down quite a bit. Theres also very minimal wear (finish scratches) on the inner-top of the receiver where the BCG rides, exclusively above the part where the O-ring is placed.

    I decided not to replace the broken O-ring with a new one and just live with the slight wiggle. I imagine this will also make cycles more smooth because the bottom of the BCG wont be hitting the aluminum so hard (not that i had an issue with rough cycles, just an idea).

    On a side note: I have had little to no problems with my rifle after 500 rounds. However, coincidentally or not, at the same time my O-ring broke, before i could remove the O-ring i had a problem depressing the take down 'button'. It was extremely stiff and would not move at all. This was post range day where i really tried to put the rifle through its paces, firing rapidly, getting it quite hot etc.

    I have no proof to believe this is the sole cause, but i suspect the reason i couldn't press the recoil springs in was because the O-ring was holding the upper too high and made it so the plate that the recoil springs sit in became jammed in the receiver.
    I have read somewhere of someone else having a problem with taking down the rifle because of a stuck plate, however i do not recall them giving much detail, they just blamed Kodiak.
    The remedy was a tinsmith hammer lightly tapping the recoil spring plate until it was in far enough that i could separate the upper/lower.
    Even after i separated the upper/lower, the plate remained jammed inside of the upper. I have photos of it stuck in there if anyone is interested. I got the plate out by tapping the back of it.

    On a side-side note: After removing the O-ring, i have also noticed a reduction in the amount of brass residue inside the receiver. I am not sure why this is, i might be wrong about this seeing as i've only fired ~100 rounds since removing the O-ring.

    My rifle has been running fine ever since. If anyone has any extra info, or corrections about my experience id appreciate the insight. Thanks guys.
    Interesting results - I don't plan on using an o-ring fix precisely for that reason. I took a good look at the play between the upper and lower and if anything I'd want to cinch them together (perhaps future WK's can have a second takedown pin at the rear?), not wedge them apart.

  8. #388
    CGN Regular Kirkwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    205
    Just got word today that mine is on the way... can someone point me at the break in process that is mentioned in this thread? This is my first AR style rifle... I know, I know... but I am primarily a hunter... bought this because it seemed like a good idea last October... and now it will be a reality...

    Should I bother with a deflector? I am not super concerned if the damage is only lipstick... welcome any other thoughts about how to best treat the new beast... (it's supposed to be one of the newest designs; which hopefully will bypass some of the 1st/2nd gen issues...
    CSSA, CCFR & CPC member.

  9. #389
    CGN frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    B.C. Interior
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    Just got word today that mine is on the way... can someone point me at the break in process that is mentioned in this thread? This is my first AR style rifle... I know, I know... but I am primarily a hunter... bought this because it seemed like a good idea last October... and now it will be a reality...

    Should I bother with a deflector? I am not super concerned if the damage is only lipstick... welcome any other thoughts about how to best treat the new beast... (it's supposed to be one of the newest designs; which hopefully will bypass some of the 1st/2nd gen issues...
    Break in procedure is in Section 8.4
    https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/do...rsn=a7529fd7_2

    Deflector; well the marks are not horrible unless you are anal about them. There are pics around in this thread.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"
    Member: CPC, CCFR, CSSA

  10. #390
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    153
    Got mine last week and got it out to the range yesterday... all I can say is Wolverine delivered the goods. Damn thing is like a laser beam at 100yrds. With a vortex strikefire II I was ringing at 6 inch gong on every shot. And I put almost 150 rnds through her after break in.

    Worth the wait, period.

    Thank you Wolverine for all your hard work on bringing this beauty to market!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •