Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left Handed Shooter

The only type you might have a problem with is some bullpups that eject into your face. Otherwise I haven't had any problems. I find the CZ/VZ family very lefty friendly. ARs are good too. Ambi mag release would be a good upgrade. The bolt release is perfect. I don't shoot bolt guns very often. I could see a left specific one being preferable

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Not required, its easier and in some cases faster to just use your index finger to drop it

Shawn
    let me try training my middle finger for that 8)

CGN Regular
    For bolt actions I prefer a lefty if I'm going to scope it. I run a right hand bolt with the reach over method and a scope makes that tougher. Luckily Savage makes a few 110 options in left hand.
    Otherwise the only thing that bothers me about right hand guns is a cross bolt safety. They can be annoying, but if you use it enough you will learn to deal. Tang safety is much nicer though.

Never had issues with lever actions, pump actions, or semi's in right hand configuration (except some inconvenient safety types). Bullpups are the only thing that I just can't work properly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    As a lefty I’ve always shot right handed guns, it’s only scoped bolt actions that are a pain so to speak. You always have to break your cheek weld and reach over the scope to operate the bolt, if you need a quick follow up shot it can be a pain in the ass.

I have always found right handed semi autos and pump action shotguns to be easier to shoot as a lefty, the charging handle and loading port is on your support hand side and racking the bolt on a semi or quickly loading a shell into the chamber of a shotgun is easy. As is verifying the chamber is empty, easy to look into the mouth of the barrel when the bolt is back. The position of the safety can be a pain to operate as a lefty but that’s not a deal breaker for me and some guns have a tang or left side placed safety, I have yet to get hit with ejecting brass with semi autos.

I’m at a point where I’m going to buy a couple left handed bolt actions, a hunting rifle and a target rifle. When I first shouldered a left handed bolt and was able to operate the bolt and keep my cheek on the stock it felt so natural, like it should be.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deathrawt's Avatar
    Stay away from a tavor, unless you like hot brass in the cheek and collar
    Found that out the hard way! Lol

My personal opinion, if your a lefty and left eye dominant a left hand bolt action is the only way. I can bet at least 50% of the guys that said they can use a right hand bolt is because they grew up using dads or brothers right hand rifle and had no choice. The cost difference to go to a left hand option is very minor. If you want a nice entry level bolt action in left hand look at Tikka. They are exceptional value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12