CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Calgary and Area Town Hall Meeting

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
    How could he possibly commit to unroll C-71? He & the Conservatives don't have a majority! He's certainly working towards it though, that was absolutely clear. I'm not sure if you understand how government works if you expect a promise about getting a result when 'our side' holds minority # of seats. Based on your comments here I'm guessing you're the guy that kept talking out of turn (at least 7 times). When that guy actually did have a turn he went on the rambling diatribe trying to cover every firearm topic there is and lost focus of the topic at hand. He kept interrupting while standing along the north wall then finally got the microphone at the south wall.

There was one guy wanting CCW which was also well beyond the scope of what's currently being undertaken. We're currently trying to prevent bad legislation, it's not as though such things can be pursued with the number of seats the Conservatives hold. CCW guy should keep in mind that tabling such legislation if we had a majority would likely cost the following election.

Some of the pie-in-the-sky wishes noted by certain attendees were naturally not responded to but I did note that Motz and whomever was taking notes did take interest in the sound suppressor topic, notes were definitely taken. Sell that as a safety measure, that's achievable.

Magazine limits aren't part of C-71, weren't the main focus of the meeting
    AR classification is not part of C-71, wasn't the main focus of the meeting
    Silencers/suppressor are not part of C-71, were not the focus of he meeting
    He did state that RCMP should not be classifying, that should be a committee.

I'll agree that them referring to straw purchases so frequently needed data to back it, but I understood that to be that their mention of straw purchases in the first place is because it's being pushed by Goodale and the Liberals backing C-71. One attendee claimed straw purchases didn't exist at all, that's dead wrong as I've read at least one article noting such charges against a person within the last 6 months and was stunned that a person could be so stupid to not think they'd be traced back to him.

People might also recall 5 or so years back where a female employee at WSS was emptying pistol cases but targeting the ones at the bottom of the stacks in the stock room, buying herself some time before being discovered. Her boyfriend was in a gang and that was the whole reason she got the WSS job. That's not straw purchasing, but it was someone with legal access being the middleman.

I would like to echo Shooting Centres suggestion that when undertaking communications with your MP's, any gov't reps and even with your friends, please try to avoid hyperbole and the references to Nazi's. One retired man at the meeting decried that as a firearm owner he felt like a Jew wearing a star in WWII Germany. I quite literally double face-palmed myself when he uttered that. There are very few ways to get people to ignore what you are saying as quickly as they will ignore you and dismiss you as a lunatic as when you invoke Nazi comparisons. Doing so basically invalidates everything you said before and afterwards, even if some excellent points were made. Make rational presentations or make none, the harm done by coming off as a loon detracts from the legitimate concerns of the entire firearms community.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by AB_blaster View Post
    We know you've done more than enough to f@ck firearms owners in this country and there's nothing you can do to fix that.
    And what can you do other than complain? Enough of this already! Exactly how does this help anything? Time to move forward and let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Sounds like some folks taking the bait, fishing for red herring, that 'somehow' 'someone' among us are straw purchasing. Which we aren't. CCFR needs to change some significant misperceptions, no thanks to blowhards. The message that gun laws should target actual criminals and not the law-abiding gets lost in those 'other' topics.
    Gun laws that target criminals...exactly this.

James (of CSC) opened with statements about criminals getting convicted of lessor charges and that the system turns the criminals back out. Mr Motz eluded to this as a way of ensuring law enforcement always has work with catch & release.

We have plenty of laws in place, perhaps we don't need more. What we need is those charged to be held fully and answer to all charges. No BS deal of lessor charges just to get a minor conviction. The issue is process in court or lack of. Ensure our legal system fully prosecutes the criminals.

I am most certainly not saying this includes private citizens using firearms in the defense of their homes, family and themselves from the criminal trespassing, stealing and threatening the lives of a home owner - this kind of thing needs to be updated in the criminal code to allow for such defense.

The discussion went from an example of how existing laws are bargained away for a lessor conviction - catch & release. Then unsubstantiated talk around straw purchases. More facts please with data backing up the present hearsay. Talk about the shop owner and each other reporting "suspicious" gun "owners" - No thanks.

Going forward as firearms owners, one should keep the pressure on with letters, emails and calls to the politicians. Correct the sensationalized BS that spews from the anti's as tactfully as one can, stating fact, remaining calm and refraining from ridiculous comparisons (Nazi, Jew, etc). Lastly make it known that the laws in place and the legal system should work to prosecute fully the criminals who use firearms, steal firearms and deal illegal firearms.

And like Mr. Motz reminded us to ensure we keep our firearms stored safely, we should pressure the politicians and court systems do the same with the criminals by putting them away in safe storage.

Give it a rest already. Thanks CSC and CCFR. Glad to see my MP making an effort to help us!

Quote Originally Posted by AB_blaster View Post
    We know you've done more than enough to f@ck firearms owners in this country and there's nothing you can do to fix that.
    CSSA|CCFR|NFA

Interesting article, in of all places, the CBC:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-...tics-1.4779702

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwahara View Post
    Very informative. Thank you for posting!

CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwahara View Post
    "Between 2013 and 2016 ... break-ins for the purpose of stealing firearms went up by 56 per cent," Goodale wrote in an op-ed."

Of course they did. How many of these B&E's were perpetrated by the RCMP in High River though?
    C.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetmail 12 View Post
    Well said!

And what can you do other than complain? Enough of this already! Exactly how does this help anything? Time to move forward and let it be.
    Not complaining, just making sure everyone is aware that we wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for turncoats like JR Cox lying to RCMP about the dealings of a competitor.
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...verdue-apology
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Give it a rest already. Thanks CSC and CCFR. Glad to see my MP making an effort to help us!
    You must be ok with someone who throws the shooting community under the bus for financial gain. Some of us have morals..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567