Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wk 180c first impression

CGN Regular

Wk 180c first impression

I do have a 180C on order from Wolverine but it could be months away yet. I was fortunate enough to buy the last one that Phoenix gun range had this morning.

After only seeing pictures of the 180C I could not believe how light it was and well balanced. It makes the XCR L I used to have feel like a tank.

I brought it home and did a complete strip and cleaning. First thought was how simple the design was and how simple it was to take down. Machining, fit and finish seem to be excellent and it’s hard to believe this rifle is under a 1000 bucks. I lubed everything thoroughly with CLP and reassembled.

I tried the included Hera mags and they seem to drop freely with no problem. I then tried a couple different Lar 15 pistol mags with the same result.

The trigger is something to be desired and will be replaced. It feels gritty and hopefully improves with use. After a bunch of creep my trigger breaks at 8-9 lbs.

Being left handed it would be nice if it had an ambi mag release.

I mounted a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 scope in a Leupold 30mm cantilever mount.

As soon as I get a chance I will break the barrel in with AE 55gr fmj’s. I also have some Hornady 55 gr steel match and some Nosler custom 60gr that I will use for checking accuracy.

If this rifle shoots decent it will be a pleasure to pack. I think the only ones that are not going to like it will be coyotes and gophers.

CGN Regular
    First shots.

Took the 180C out tonight and did the shoot one clean one for the first ten shots. Then started shooting 3 shot groups letting it cool after each string. This light contour barrel heats up quickly and you will want to be letting it cool real well between groups.

The rifle itself works flawlessly and the Hera mags and Lar 15 pistol mags worked as they should.

Results are as follows
    AE 55gr Fmj best group 3.209”
    Hornady steel match 55gr 1.402”
    Nosler custom 60gr 1.277”

I was a little disappointed in the groups and especially the AE ammo as I have about 2500 rounds on hand. The problem is the trigger. I have never shot such a gritty, creepy hard pulling trigger as this. It makes the trigger on my sons SKS feel like a jewel trigger and I will be replacing it with a Geissele SSA-E trigger.

The rifle runs clean and the barrel cleaned up quickly with G96 Nitro solvent

The rifle feels and handles about the same as my Stag 15.

I believe that those who purchase this rifle will be quite happy and those interested in accuracy will be replacing the trigger.

Thanks for the info. Nice score on skipping the line. The trigger seems to be the common complaint early on. I get mine on Friday and I can’t wait. I will most likely get an ALG trigger for mine. I have no illusions this is a precision gun, just an NR plinker for bush fun.

How was it shooting as a lefty? Did you get any brass in the face? Was there a lot of gas in your face too? Thanks!

CGN Regular
    Absolutely no problem at all shooting it left handed. I never had glasses on and didn’t notice any dust or gas. The brass all lands in a pile at 3:00 clock

BANNED
    That's great info brother thank you.

Now that you are getting a new trigger maybe get a 20" match barrel and an A2 or A1 stock and make a vidoe. Why you ask ? Well I can't afford one so I must live through you

Let's see some pictures you nutz

CGN Regular
    After shooting paper at 100 yards I have a AR 500 coyote target at 300 yards and had no problem hitting 10 for 10 with the Hornady steel match ammo.

AE 55gr ammo isn’t good for accurate shooting. My Ddm4v7 pro shoots 3.5” 5 shots groups using them. For plinking or 3 gun. They are affordable and accurate enough.

CGN Regular
    I replaced the trigger with a Geissele. Quite a difference from the original. I’m hoping that this shrinks my groups.

Tagged
    X22
    There's a bullet in my pocket burnin' a hole

CCFR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast